Are Altar Calls Biblical?

I know not where....
You don't know where people are called to a response to come to Christ in Scripture? You don't see where human instrumentality is used of God to lead others to Himself in Scripture? Are you looking for a verse that uses the term "altar call"?

You don't know where people are called to a response to come to Christ in Scripture? You don't see where human instrumentality is used of God to lead others to Himself in Scripture? Are you looking for a verse that uses the term "altar call"?
Can't recognize it yet.

Can't recognize it yet.
You don't recognize the ordinarily ordained role(s) of human instrumentality that God uses in His agency to bring a soul to Himself?

You don't recognize the ordinarily ordained role(s) of human instrumentality that God uses in His agency to bring a soul to Himself?
Nothing approaching the typical altar call. I see it as a strange fire if anything.

Nothing approaching the typical altar call. I see it as a strange fire if anything.
America is a wonderful place. You are welcome to have opinions that are jaded, biased, incomplete, and overgeneralized, especially on the internet, and still most social media platforms won't ban you for holding to them. ;) Later Dave. :)

America is a wonderful place. You are welcome to have opinions that are jaded, biased, incomplete, and overgeneralized, especially on the internet, and still most social media platforms won't ban you for holding to them. ;) Later Dave. :)
I've heard too many testimonies where a guy will say something like "I went forward on such and such a date at such and such a time and accepted Jesus as my personal savior". This is essentially the same as the Roman salvation sacraments that turn your trust towards your works instead of Christ.

Scripture does not mention an altar call. The next in the salvation sequence is repentance and Baptism. After my conversion, it took months to find a church to baptize me. So it need not be immediate.
Scripture also does not mention air conditioning or KJV pew Bibles but most IFB churches have both.

Jesus says “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.” John 6:47 (KJV 1900). So people who believe enough to heed an altar call are already saved before they get there. But the Altar Call deceives them into thinking they saved themselves by doing so. It's best to offer baptism to those who believe (whenever possible) and their baptism will verify their faith.
Altar calls are essentially a Baptist version of Catholic salvation sacraments.
Wouldn't the "believing" itself be a work? You have to consider facts and weigh their gravity-seems like works based salvation.

Wouldn't the "believing" itself be a work? You have to consider facts and weigh their gravity-seems like works based salvation.
Choosing to believe means you do not believe in any true sense. If you believe, you wouldn't need to choose to believe. Faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit God gives to the elect causing them to believe based on the experience. The Spirit bears witness with our spirit, etc.

I know that in the churches I was raised in there was an "invitation" at the end of each service....this "invitation" was OFTEN ABUSED by the pastor or speaker, and there would be endless choruses of "Just As I Am" being sung...until the speaker/pastor was satisfied that the Holy Spirit was done working....UGH! The Holy Spirit stops working? What a piss poor view of the working of God, and the Holy Spirit in particular! I NEVER liked the "invitation" and usually walked out of them and got a head start on going home, to work, or wherever I had to go. A LOT of people in those churches were upset with me and stated that I was being irreverent to God... I asked them to prove it scripturally. They never did, but continued to add on heaps of guiltmongering language, which only drove me further from their position. To this day, I hate the invitation time in churches and the manipulation used during this part of the service. There are better ways for a person to come to the Lord.

If your church has regular altar calls where the preacher or evangelist says, "Every head bowed, every eye closed. Now, if you are sure, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you are saved and going to heaven, please raise your hands. Thank you, thank you, hands going up all over the auditorium. But some of you couldn't raise your hand. Now, while the organ plays softly, and the choir sings a few dozen choruses of 'Just As I Am,' I want those of you who could not raise your hands to walk the aisle and come forward and kneel at the altar" etc. etc. If your church has some variation of this appeal - then you may be IFB.

I do not wish to condemn those who, in all sincerity, make these kinds of appeals. But I don't see anything like this in the New Testament. I don't see the record of Christ and the apostles conducting this sort of "altar call" on the beaches of the Sea of Galilee, or Paul doing this on Mars Hill or anywhere else. I would prefer that we avoid emotional or psychological manipulation in whatever form of "invitation" is used, and rely on the Holy Spirit to do His convicting work.

I know that in the churches I was raised in there was an "invitation" at the end of each service....this "invitation" was OFTEN ABUSED by the pastor or speaker, and there would be endless choruses of "Just As I Am" being sung...until the speaker/pastor was satisfied that the Holy Spirit was done working....UGH! The Holy Spirit stops working? What a piss poor view of the working of God, and the Holy Spirit in particular! I NEVER liked the "invitation" and usually walked out of them and got a head start on going home, to work, or wherever I had to go. A LOT of people in those churches were upset with me and stated that I was being irreverent to God... I asked them to prove it scripturally. They never did, but continued to add on heaps of guiltmongering language, which only drove me further from their position. To this day, I hate the invitation time in churches and the manipulation used during this part of the service. There are better ways for a person to come to the Lor
If your church has regular altar calls where the preacher or evangelist says, "Every head bowed, every eye closed. Now, if you are sure, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you are saved and going to heaven, please raise your hands. Thank you, thank you, hands going up all over the auditorium. But some of you couldn't raise your hand. Now, while the organ plays softly, and the choir sings a few dozen choruses of 'Just As I Am,' I want those of you who could not raise your hands to walk the aisle and come forward and kneel at the altar" etc. etc. If your church has some variation of this appeal - then you may be IFB.

I do not wish to condemn those who, in all sincerity, make these kinds of appeals. But I don't see anything like this in the New Testament. I don't see the record of Christ and the apostles conducting this sort of "altar call" on the beaches of the Sea of Galilee, or Paul doing this on Mars Hill or anywhere else. I would prefer that we avoid emotional or psychological manipulation in whatever form of "invitation" is used, and rely on the Holy Spirit to do His convicting work.
When I was with IFB and I would visit other IFB churches, even if I was on vacation, I always made sure not to where jeans. I didn't want to be responsible for an extra 10 rounds of "Just as I am".

I know that in the churches I was raised in there was an "invitation" at the end of each service....this "invitation" was OFTEN ABUSED by the pastor or speaker, and there would be endless choruses of "Just As I Am" being sung...until the speaker/pastor was satisfied that the Holy Spirit was done working....UGH! The Holy Spirit stops working? What a piss poor view of the working of God, and the Holy Spirit in particular! I NEVER liked the "invitation" and usually walked out of them and got a head start on going home, to work, or wherever I had to go. A LOT of people in those churches were upset with me and stated that I was being irreverent to God... I asked them to prove it scripturally. They never did, but continued to add on heaps of guiltmongering language, which only drove me further from their position. To this day, I hate the invitation time in churches and the manipulation used during this part of the service. There are better ways for a person to come to the Lord.
I mostly agree. I do find it silly, though, that if someone does get convicted and decides to pray there for salvation that he would somehow see it as having paid for his own sins. If one believes that then they never understood the Gospel in the first place.

I've heard too many testimonies where a guy will say something like "I went forward on such and such a date at such and such a time and accepted Jesus as my personal savior". This is essentially the same as the Roman salvation sacraments that turn your trust towards your works instead of Christ.
As have I, but the abuse or misuse of a thing doesn't nullify the proper value of that tool.

As have I, but the abuse or misuse of a thing doesn't nullify the proper value of that tool.
I've seen a lot of false professions of faith through the use of this "tool." Sadly, though, this could be said of ANY tool we use, including street preaching, door-to-door visitation, etc. I just see too much potential for abuse with the "invitational" by the pastor or worship leader. Yet, many are using it successfully....and then, of course, there are some that say it shouldn't be used because it's not found in the Bible...well, neither are hymnals, church note handouts and many other tools that the church uses today. Just because it's not named in the Bible doesn't mean it shouldn't be used.

Scripture doesn't mention it. If you add to God's word, where do you end up?
Are you a regulative principle kinda guy?

Are gospel tracts found in the Bible? Are they ok to use for spreading the gospel?

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of false professions of faith through the use of this "tool." Sadly, though, this could be said of ANY tool we use, including street preaching, door-to-door visitation, etc. I just see too much potential for abuse with the "invitational" by the pastor or worship leader. Yet, many are using it successfully....and then, of course, there are some that say it shouldn't be used because it's not found in the Bible...well, neither are hymnals, church note handouts and many other tools that the church uses today. Just because it's not named in the Bible doesn't mean it shouldn't be used.
I COMPLETELY agree with every point you make. And I think the balance you bring is exactly what is called for in this discussion. When you mention that you have seen many false professions by this method, I think we both know what kind of environment you have experienced (1-2-3 pray-after-me). Bad theology breeds bad praxis. When somebody is willing to just treat evangelism like salesmanship and getting another notch on their belt then their treatment (apologia) of the gospel is going to suffer theological anorexia and the casualties will be the scorched earth of those like Finney.

I COMPLETELY agree with every point you make. And I think the balance you bring is exactly what is called for in this discussion. When you mention that you have seen many false professions by this method, I think we both know what kind of environment you have experienced (1-2-3 pray-after-me). Bad theology breeds bad praxis. When somebody is willing to just treat evangelism like salesmanship and getting another notch on their belt then their treatment (apologia) of the gospel is going to suffer theological anorexia and the casualties will be the scorched earth of those like Finney.
I have several pastor friends who street preach and hand out Bibles to people who stop...If and when they have any "decisions" they are usually led through a prayer, given a Bible, and they may attempt a follow-up visit, but few produce any kind of fruit. It makes me question these methodologies that our churches of today are using.