Are Altar Calls Biblical?

This is salvation by works when used as a ritual sacrament. It's something saved people do routinely every day. I know I'm saved because I do this. As a sacrament ritual, I don't think it will get you there.
The passage cited in Romans contextually has to do with Paul's desire for his countrymen to come to a saving knowledge of Christ. Don't you think that context defies the interpretation of "confession" you just imported to it?

The passage cited in Romans contextually has to do with Paul's desire for his countrymen to come to a saving knowledge of Christ. Don't you think that context defies the interpretation of "confession" you just imported to it?
It's a ritual sacrament that causes people to trust in themselves for salvation, just as the Catholics do. Unless you understand people cannot believe in the true Christ unless already saved through the New Birth only from God.

It's a ritual sacrament that causes people to trust in themselves for salvation, just as the Catholics do. Unless you understand people cannot believe in the true Christ unless already saved through the New Birth only from God.
So how do you know you are part of the "saved" crowd?

They believe in Christ. repent. and are baptized. The rest turn a blind eye to what you say.
Sounds like someone is an Arminian. Your saying they must do four things in order to receive salvation. Sounds too complicated to me I'll stick with the Bible way.

Sounds like someone is an Arminian. Your saying they must do four things in order to receive salvation. Sounds too complicated to me I'll stick with the Bible way.
Read closely, They do this per gospel instructions because they are already born-again (saved).

Read closely, They do this per gospel instructions because they are already born-again (saved).
Ok. So pretend like I've never read the Bible. I might be one of these already saved but just don't know it people. Right now I tell you I have this odd feeling-not sure if it's the Holy Spirit or heartburn. How do you get me from "saved and don't know it" to "saved and know it".

From a Calvinistic viewpoint, God must save a person before they can believe. So we try to get the gospel to the born again to direct them to Christ. Free will people think they save themselves through obedience. So the altar call is one form of obedience they try to secure salvation with.
Free-will people DO NO think they save themselves through obedience! What a crappy. deceitful way to describe what they believe. And, Calvinists Don't believe they have to be "saved" to be saved...they believe they are enlightened by the HS as was chosen before the foundation of the world. Truly, trying to describe either position ends up with incorrect information nearly every time. UGH!

Ok. So pretend like I've never read the Bible. I might be one of these already saved but just don't know it people. Right now I tell you I have this odd feeling-not sure if it's the Holy Spirit or heartburn. How do you get me from "saved and don't know it" to "saved and know it".
Cornelius had the fruits of the Spirit long before he heard Peter preach. What about those beyond the reach of the gospel?
“Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.” Acts 10:34–35 (KJV 1900)

Only the Born-Again can do this.

Common misconception and incorrect interpretation of what they believe. Personally, both free will and Calvinists are not sure of their own positions enough to properly (adequately) describe the viewpoint.

Cornelius had the fruits of the Spirit long before he heard Peter preach. What about those beyond the reach of the gospel?
“Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.” Acts 10:34–35 (KJV 1900)

But what if I say I have this feeling and know I'm saved so there is no need for me to worketh righteousness?

Dave, again, thanks for coming and participating in our little corner of the interwebz. Having said that, your version of Calvinism appears to be verging on hyper-calvinism, which if is that case, is heresy. And straining verses through your theological bias is not a sound hermeneutical apparatus, as you've done several times now in recent responses like this one. That's called "proof-texting".

Last edited:
Common misconception and incorrect interpretation of what they believe. Personally, both free will and Calvinists are not sure of their own positions enough to properly (adequately) describe the viewpoint.
Tweaking your statement a bit, I would say that adherents to each position "often" are not sure enough of their own positions to articulate them adequately, but essentially give a hearty amen to that. Often there is tons of caricature and misrepresentation (intentionally or ignorantly) of the others. In either case, it is not productive in the discussion for "iron to sharpen iron" and is generally disrespectful of genuine discourse.

Not so...the Bible is clear that ALL men have been given a measure of grace/faith...and that there is ADEQUATE evidence of a creator. This could very well account for Cornelius having the fruit of the Spirit. The Spirit can and will enlighten people to do what's right if they're trying to live according to the law written in their heart thought they've not yet received it. Romans 2:14

I would heartily disagree!

From a Calvinistic viewpoint, God must save a person before they can believe. So we try to get the gospel to the born again to direct them to Christ.
a) Are you saying that the proper recipient of Gospel evangelism are the born again?

b) If so, how does one determine they are the ones to proclaim the Gospel to?

a) Are you saying that the proper recipient of Gospel evangelism are the born again?

b) If so, how does one determine they are the ones to proclaim the Gospel to?
Only the born-again can believe and follow Christ in the true sense.
“But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.” 1 Corinthians 2:14 (KJV 1900)

Not so...the Bible is clear that ALL men have been given a measure of grace/faith...and that there is ADEQUATE evidence of a creator. This could very well account for Cornelius having the fruit of the Spirit. The Spirit can and will enlighten people to do what's right if they're trying to live according to the law written in their heart thought they've not yet received it. Romans 2:14
“And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith.” 2 Thessalonians 3:2 (KJV 1900)