Are there any books on door to door soulwinning before the IFB movement?

Ransom said:
Just to expand on the point fishinnut was making: To paraphrase his argument, the Bible says believers were teaching and preaching Jesus (and he gave the Strong's definitions of "teach" and "preach") "in every house." It's hard to believe that every house in Jerusalem had believers in it, and hence they must have been sharing the gospel with non-Christians at their homes as well.

Obviously it's true that not every Jerusalem household was a Christian one. But the argument assumes that the scope of "every" is universal, and the author has every private residence in the city of Jerusalem in mind. But the scope of words like "every" or "all" is limited by the context. For example, suppose I am at the mall and it starts to rain. I give the car keys to my son and tell him to go out and "roll up all the windows." Obviously, I mean the windows in our car, not all the windows in all the cars in the parking lot.

The Greek phrase kat oikon can validly be translated as "in every home," but also "in each home" or "from house to house," and the latter don't necessarily imply all the houses in Jerusalem. A more limited scope fits the context: the early Christians met publicly in the temple, and privately in their houses.

The same phrase is used in Acts 2:46: "they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house [kat oikon], did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart." Were the Christians "with one accord" with unbelievers? Were they breaking bread in the houses of unbelievers with "singleness of heart"? No, this verse (like 5:42) is describing the early church's habit of meeting together in public and in private.

One last example: "Saul . . . made havock of the church, entering into every house, and haling men and women committed them to prison" (Acts 8:3). Was Saul arresting Christians in every house in Jerusalem? Of course not. He was raiding the houses of Christians. It wasn't really all the Christian homes, either, since obviously some Christians were spared from arrest and imprisonment. We can probably chalk this one up to an unfortunate translation choice: something like "entering house after house" is probably closer to the intended meaning.

Maybe there were Christians doing door-to-door evangelism. The Bible doesn't say there weren't, and I'm sure it occurred to someone that it might be an effective evangelistic strategy. But the practice isn't going to get support from Acts. That's simply not what "in every house" meant. Again, Luke is describing their habit of meeting together privately in house churches as well as publicly in the temple. I would personally imagine that was where a lot of evangelism went on. The Bible is rather explicit that the apostles practiced open-air preaching wherever there were crowds.
Sarcasm alert.....sometimes I can't help it.

All those years that I spent knocking on doors, teaching & challenging many others to reach their town with personal witnessing was done all wrong. I should have concentrated on street preaching.

All those many scores of people that I gave the gospel to in one-on-one conversations at their doors or in their homes got it in an unadvised fashion.

All those many hundreds that prayed with me & those who I taught to do so, I guess trusted Christ at a location that was not taught in the Scriptures.

As I said elsewhere, door-to-door is not working in our present culture as much (at least where I live now) but then again it was evidently all in vain anyway. 

Apart from Billy Graham setting up tents on streets in LA, so many soul-winners have done it incorrectly.

All those bus kids...........well you get the picture.

Just think of all the fish I could have caught while I was knocking on doors fishing for men.

If the church house & the street corners are THE places for Bible evangelism why in the last 30 years have I only seen 2 street preachers?

I'm so glad that at least those that I won on the streets, lanes, highways & hedges will be in heaven.
===========
I'm not mad at anyone. But can I be forgiven for witnessing to as many of my neighbors as I can, even today?

I fish for fish....a lot, all I can, every chance I get. Sometimes on fishing trips or in rivers, in the oceans, lakes, in farm ponds, but never do I tell anyone there is only 1 type of water in which it it correct to fish.  And I have never taken just on pole or 1 lure. I get as many hooks & lures in the water as I can, so as to catch as many fish as I can. Recently I was kayak fishing & hooked 2 fish at the same time on 2 different rods with 2 different lures.

Instead of explaining witnessing methods or locations away, why can't we use every available tool to reach as many lost souls as we can with the gospel? There has never been a day or a place when the gospel was not good news.

I'll quit now.

fishinnut said:
Sarcasm alert.....sometimes I can't help it.

All those years that I spent knocking on doors, teaching & challenging many others to reach their town with personal witnessing was done all wrong. I should have concentrated on street preaching.

All those many scores of people that I gave the gospel to in one-on-one conversations at their doors or in their homes got it in an unadvised fashion.

All those many hundreds that prayed with me & those who I taught to do so, I guess trusted Christ at a location that was not taught in the Scriptures.

As I said elsewhere, door-to-door is not working in our present culture as much (at least where I live now) but then again it was evidently all in vain anyway. 

Apart from Billy Graham setting up tents on streets in LA, so many soul-winners have done it incorrectly.

All those bus kids...........well you get the picture.

Just think of all the fish I could have caught while I was knocking on doors fishing for men.

If the church house & the street corners are THE places for Bible evangelism why in the last 30 years have I only seen 2 street preachers?

I'm so glad that at least those that I won on the streets, lanes, highways & hedges will be in heaven.
===========
I'm not mad at anyone. But can I be forgiven for witnessing to as many of my neighbors as I can, even today?

I fish for fish....a lot, all I can, every chance I get. Sometimes on fishing trips or in rivers, in the oceans, lakes, in farm ponds, but never do I tell anyone there is only 1 type of water in which it it correct to fish.  And I have never taken just on pole or 1 lure. I get as many hooks & lures in the water as I can, so as to catch as many fish as I can. Recently I was kayak fishing & hooked 2 fish at the same time on 2 different rods with 2 different lures.

Instead of explaining witnessing methods or locations away, why can't we use every available tool to reach as many lost souls as we can with the gospel? There has never been a day or a place when the gospel was not good news.

I'll quit now.

Your Hyper-Calvinist friends have been telling you for years that you're wasting your time.

Sheesh. I'd have seen a lot less whining if I insulted someone's mom, than if I argued that Acts doesn't talk specifically about door-to-door soulwinning as such.

Go ahead and do it. No one, least of all me or the Bible, said you can't. Just don't defend it with bad exegesis.

Some people are too emotionally invested in their traditions, and protest too much.

Ransom said:
Just to expand on the point fishinnut was making: To paraphrase his argument, the Bible says believers were teaching and preaching Jesus (and he gave the Strong's definitions of "teach" and "preach") "in every house." It's hard to believe that every house in Jerusalem had believers in it, and hence they must have been sharing the gospel with non-Christians at their homes as well.

Obviously it's true that not every Jerusalem household was a Christian one. But the argument assumes that the scope of "every" is universal, and the author has every private residence in the city of Jerusalem in mind. But the scope of words like "every" or "all" is limited by the context. For example, suppose I am at the mall and it starts to rain. I give the car keys to my son and tell him to go out and "roll up all the windows." Obviously, I mean the windows in our car, not all the windows in all the cars in the parking lot.

The Greek phrase kat oikon can validly be translated as "in every home," but also "in each home" or "from house to house," and the latter don't necessarily imply all the houses in Jerusalem. A more limited scope fits the context: the early Christians met publicly in the temple, and privately in their houses.

The same phrase is used in Acts 2:46: "they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house [kat oikon], did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart." Were the Christians "with one accord" with unbelievers? Were they breaking bread in the houses of unbelievers with "singleness of heart"? No, this verse (like 5:42) is describing the early church's habit of meeting together in public and in private.

One last example: "Saul . . . made havock of the church, entering into every house, and haling men and women committed them to prison" (Acts 8:3). Was Saul arresting Christians in every house in Jerusalem? Of course not. He was raiding the houses of Christians. It wasn't really all the Christian homes, either, since obviously some Christians were spared from arrest and imprisonment. We can probably chalk this one up to an unfortunate translation choice: something like "entering house after house" is probably closer to the intended meaning.

Maybe there were Christians doing door-to-door evangelism. The Bible doesn't say there weren't, and I'm sure it occurred to someone that it might be an effective evangelistic strategy. But the practice isn't going to get support from Acts. That's simply not what "in every house" meant. Again, Luke is describing their habit of meeting together privately in house churches as well as publicly in the temple. I would personally imagine that was where a lot of evangelism went on. The Bible is rather explicit that the apostles practiced open-air preaching wherever there were crowds.
I also don't see any commentators mentioning it either. Matthew Poole says it's teaching.
Acts 5:42 (MPCHBV13): This is the same with what we read Acts 20:20, publicly, and from house to house; that is, in the temple, and public places, they preached unto the Jews; and in more private places, (or houses,) where they saw it needful; unto such they conversed with. They visited their flock, and instructed, exhorted, comforted them as their condition required.
Matthew Henry
Where they preached-both publicly in the temple, and privately in every house; in promiscuous assemblies, to which all resorted, and in the select assemblies of Christians for special ordinances.
Acts 5:41?42 (Acts (NAC)): And the witness to the name continued?publicly in the temple and privately in the homes of the Christians. Luke seems to have used a common Greek rhetorical construction in v. 42 called a chiasm, which is most easily pictured as an A-B-B-A pattern. In the temple (A) and in homes (B), the apostles taught (B) and preached the gospel (A). Teaching was the task within the Christian fellowship, preaching the public task in the temple grounds. If there is any significance to his using such a device, it would be to give emphasis to the beginning and concluding elements. Their witness, their preaching of the gospel, was their primary task and occupation.

Ransom said:
Sheesh. I'd have seen a lot less whining if I insulted someone's mom, than if I argued that Acts doesn't talk specifically about door-to-door soulwinning as such.

Go ahead and do it. No one, least of all me or the Bible, said you can't. Just don't defend it with bad exegesis.

Some people are too emotionally invested in their traditions, and protest too much.
The last & only time I remember whining was when I had a bad case of poison ivy. And if you only knew how I cannot stand traditions. I'll continue to believe that what Jesus said in the great commission is what was practiced in the NT church. Call me what you like, I like witnessing to the lost anytime & anywhere because there is an eternity somewhere for everyone.

As far as emotionally invested, are you talking about me or Paul?
Acts 20:31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.

fishinnut said:

Paul who?

As was his custom, Paul went into the synagogue, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures. (Acts 17:2)

As soon as it was night, the believers sent Paul and Silas away to Berea. On arriving there, they went to the Jewish synagogue (Acts 17:10)

He reasoned in the synagogue with both Jews and God-fearing Greeks, as well as in the marketplace day by day with those who happened to be there. (Acts 17:17)

Paul of Tarsus isn't recorded knocking on doors. It was "his custom" to preach in public, where there were crowds.

Ransom said:
fishinnut said:

Paul who?

As was his custom, Paul went into the synagogue, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures. (Acts 17:2)

As soon as it was night, the believers sent Paul and Silas away to Berea. On arriving there, they went to the Jewish synagogue (Acts 17:10)

He reasoned in the synagogue with both Jews and God-fearing Greeks, as well as in the marketplace day by day with those who happened to be there. (Acts 17:17)

Paul of Tarsus isn't recorded knocking on doors. It was "his custom" to preach in public, where there were crowds.

Paul was a notorious ?hyper Calvinist?....and a Ruckmanite!
Hallelujah!

Ransom said:
fishinnut said:

Paul who?

YOU mentioned emotional investment.......stay with me me now.

Paul's burden for souls (& mine) just might lead to emotional.......tears for the lost. I seldom hear anything by this generation of church leaders about weeping for souls of the lost.

As far as "house to house" in Acts 5:42 John Rice in his 1973 book entitled, Dr. Rice Here Are More Questions... answered questions with the same verse & subject in the chapter on Soul Winning because of guys then that espoused what you say on the OP.  Same old type of argument, just a new breed. I agree with Rice on this one.

fishinnut said:
Ransom said:
fishinnut said:

Paul who?

Paul's burden for souls (& mine) just might lead to emotional.......tears for the lost. I seldom hear anything by this generation of church leaders about weeping for souls of the lost.

As far as "house to house" in Acts 5:42 John Rice in his 1973 book entitled, Dr. Rice Here Are More Questions... answered questions with the same verse & subject in the chapter on Soul Winning because of guys then that espoused what you say on the OP. Same old argument, just a new breed. I agree with Rice on this one.
Would you mind posting what he said? I don't have his book. Also I did say anyone before rice, but I am curious what his interpretation of the verse is.

fishinnut said:
Paul's burden for souls (& mine) just might lead to emotional.......tears for the lost.

Yes, I'm sure he cried himself to sleep every night because some librul told him he never went door-to-door soulwinning.

Anon1379 said:
fishinnut said:
Ransom said:
fishinnut said:

Paul who?

As far as "house to house" in Acts 5:42 John Rice in his 1973 book entitled, Dr. Rice Here Are More Questions... answered questions with the same verse & subject in the chapter on Soul Winning because of guys then that espoused what you say on the OP. Same old argument, just a new breed. I agree with Rice on this one.
Would you mind posting what he said? I don't have his book. Also I did say anyone before rice, but I am curious what his interpretation of the verse is

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
The post was in answer to the emotions mention. It's a whole chapter. Talking soul winning & s/w churches.

I have the book "Dr. Rice, Here are More Questions."  I'm not going to transcribe the whole 18-page section on soulwinning, but here are some highlights:
He cites Acts 5:42 and says, "Daily house-to-house soul winning was accepted as the normal and proper duty of Christians and so they followed it out." (p.494)
"The second 'teach' [Matthew 28:20] means pass on Christ's command.  It does not mean doctrine but primarily to win souls." (p. 496)  "The Great Commission does not command us to teach doctrines; it does command us to teach people to observe what Jesus commanded, and that would first of all center in soul winning." (p 497)
"You say you have personally won 11 people in the last year.  That is less than one a month.  Don't you think that even if you spent 10 hours a week in personal house-to-house soul winning that you could win at least one person a week?"  (p. 498)
"Soul winning always helps to solve the other problems. . . .  So it is not hard to get a soul winner to leave off the cigarettes or the movies or to forgive a grudge.  The blessed Spirit of God cleans up the soul winning Christian so he can bear more fruit, and so soul winning itself is the greatest single factor in a happy, devoted Christian life."  (pp. 502-503)  [I have seen this argument made by others - if a church member has a spiritual problem, get him out there soul-winning and that will cure his spiritual problem.  In other words, door-to-door soulwinning is good therapy for those who practice it, totally aside from whether or not it gets results among the heathen].
I am not necessarily endorsing all of Rice's teaching on this subject, just providing it for the benefit of those who don't have the book.  In this chapter, Rice cites FBC-Hammond, IN, Highland Park BC - Chattanooga, TN and Emmanuel BC of Pontiac, MI as examples of great fundamental Baptist churches built on door-to-door soulwinning.  I wonder why those churches have since declined in attendance - they must have stopped door-to-door soulwinning, huh?

For those churches who agree with Rice that 10 hours of soulwinning can, on average, win one person, here is my recommendation: hire a Bible college graduate at a full-time salary, put them out on door-to-door visitation 40 hours a week - they will win 4 souls a week, or 208 souls a year, the tithes of the new converts will more than pay for the soulwinner's salary - wash, rinse, repeat, use the increased tithe money to hire some more soulwinners and build a great IFB megachurch in just a few years' time.  Are any IFB churches now doing anything like this?  If not, whatsamatter - don't they believe in door-to-door soulwinning?  Sorry for the cynical attitude, but I have been out there on the front lines of door-to-door soulwinning myself and we didn't see one person saved every 10 hours even in the glory days of the 1970s.  Not even close to it.

illinoisguy said:
I have the book "Dr. Rice, Here are More Questions."  I'm not going to transcribe the whole 18-page section on soulwinning, but here are some highlights:
He cites Acts 5:42 and says, "Daily house-to-house soul winning was accepted as the normal and proper duty of Christians and so they followed it out." (p.494)
"The second 'teach' [Matthew 28:20] means pass on Christ's command.  It does not mean doctrine but primarily to win souls." (p. 496)  "The Great Commission does not command us to teach doctrines; it does command us to teach people to observe what Jesus commanded, and that would first of all center in soul winning." (p 497)
"You say you have personally won 11 people in the last year.  That is less than one a month.  Don't you think that even if you spent 10 hours a week in personal house-to-house soul winning that you could win at least one person a week?"  (p. 498)
"Soul winning always helps to solve the other problems. . . .  So it is not hard to get a soul winner to leave off the cigarettes or the movies or to forgive a grudge.  The blessed Spirit of God cleans up the soul winning Christian so he can bear more fruit, and so soul winning itself is the greatest single factor in a happy, devoted Christian life."  (pp. 502-503)  [I have seen this argument made by others - if a church member has a spiritual problem, get him out there soul-winning and that will cure his spiritual problem.  In other words, door-to-door soulwinning is good therapy for those who practice it, totally aside from whether or not it gets results among the heathen].
I am not necessarily endorsing all of Rice's teaching on this subject, just providing it for the benefit of those who don't have the book.  In this chapter, Rice cites FBC-Hammond, IN, Highland Park BC - Chattanooga, TN and Emmanuel BC of Pontiac, MI as examples of great fundamental Baptist churches built on door-to-door soulwinning.  I wonder why those churches have since declined in attendance - they must have stopped door-to-door soulwinning, huh?

For those churches who agree with Rice that 10 hours of soulwinning can, on average, win one person, here is my recommendation: hire a Bible college graduate at a full-time salary, put them out on door-to-door visitation 40 hours a week - they will win 4 souls a week, or 208 souls a year, the tithes of the new converts will more than pay for the soulwinner's salary - wash, rinse, repeat, use the increased tithe money to hire some more soulwinners and build a great IFB megachurch in just a few years' time.  Are any IFB churches now doing anything like this?  If not, whatsamatter - don't they believe in door-to-door soulwinning?  Sorry for the cynical attitude, but I have been out there on the front lines of door-to-door soulwinning myself and we didn't see one person saved every 10 hours even in the glory days of the 1970s.  Not even close to it.
Yeah I agree with your last paragraph. I do about 3 hours of door to door soulwinning every week. I do not necessarily have a problem with it, I'm just not sure if it the best use of time. I have no problems with people who think we should, but I do have issues with people who think it is the only way to do evangelism, and will crucify you for not doing it. Another issue I have is soulwinners giving a shallow gospel presentation at the door and "winning" souls to Christ when all they did was get them to pray after a 5 minute presentation, and then having the pastors praise them for doing it. Out if curiosity when you do witness to someone how long is it? I try not to make mine less than 30 and will go longer if I need to.

Back when we were doing soulwinning, I suppose we spent 30 minutes at least talking to the prospect, but the emphasis always seemed to be "just get the person to bow his head and pray the prayer" and I was not comfortable with that.  It appeared to me that we were getting people to make a decision about something they didn't understand and that the Holy Spirit had not yet convicted them of their spiritual need.  Supposedly they were saved and eternally secure by "praying the prayer," even if they never came to church and were never heard from again.
I hope it is understood by all who read this thread that no one is against door-to-door soulwinning, we're all for it, bring it on, but just maybe this is not something that every Christian must be doing or should be pressured into doing.  Maybe some Christians have the gift of evangelism and others do not.  Maybe it worked well in the mid 20th Century but not so much nowadays.  An IFB preacher in Chicago told me "you just can't get into peoples' houses nowadays."  A preacher in Connecticut told me, "Door-to-door soulwinning doesn't work in Connecticut."  If it works where you are, or if it is something you feel the Lord would have you to do even if it doesn't get results, then carry on.  Some other Christians may be doing other things for the Kingdom of God that are just as time-effective and spiritually blessed as door-to-door, or even more so.

illinoisguy said:

Does Rice show his work, or is it just true because someone famous said it?

Rice elaborates on Acts 5:42 in another book, "The Golden Path To Successful Personal Soul Winning," dated 1961.  (My copy was autographed by John R.  Rice for Rev. John Linton - I don't know how it made its way from there to my personal library).

On pages 35-36 Rice says, "Some have supposed that the Lord here [Acts 5:42] speaks of public services in the temple, and then personal soul winning elsewhere.  But there was no auditorium in the temple, no seats, no organized congregation.  People came individually or in families to offer their sacrifices or to make their  vows.  There was no preaching in the regular temple services, and no provision for it.  People came and went; some sold doves and other sacrifices.  Others were money-changers, changing the money from the regular Roman coin to the temple coin, and so the temple porches and temple area resembled a market place with crowds of people coming and going.  It may be that someone preached to the throngs assembled there when he could get a hearing, as a street preacher does.  There was no organized seated congregation.  But just as a man when the streets are crowded in a country town on Saturday afternoon may go to win souls or as one might go about soul winning in a fair or supermarket, so they went 'daily in the temple' as well as in every home in Jerusalem!  That was personal soul winning, person by person, house by house, and it is indicated as the regular pattern of Christian work in the book of Acts."

If there are folks who take Acts 5:42 as an encouragement or even a command to them, to preach door-to-door in their community, I don't really have a problem with that.  However, it seems that the verse also encourages or commands us to teach and preach Christ every day in the "temple" (either Herod's Temple which was destroyed in 70 AD, or modern Jewish synagogues).  That might be a bit of a problem.

ALAYMAN said:
Door to door is a vestige of an era within the IFB world of a time when such methods worked with greater effect.  There are PLENTY of other Christian adherents (ie, Southern Baptists) that still practice (with success) this mode of evangelism.  You shouldn't blame or discourage people for trying to get the gospel out, however they choose to do so.  The apostle Paul said he would be happy if people spread the gospel in any way, even in strife.  If the folk you are referring to are claiming that door-to-door is the ONLY (legitimate) way of spreading the gospel then I understand and agree with your complaint.

I have no problem who wish to attempt to spread the gospel in this manner; what I object to is the thundering from the pulpit that EVERY Christian is supposed to do this.

"What I object to is the thundering from the pulpit that EVERY Christian is supposed to do this."

Agreed.  Some preachers will try to put everyone on a guilt trip on this issue, or if not this, then something else, anything else.  Back when I was doing the door-to-door soulwinning, the pastor complained to me that I wasn't doing it right.  In some churches, no matter how much you do, it isn't enough - you should have done more.  The laymen-serfs must always be made to feel guilty about something, no matter how much they do or how much they give.  Fortunately, many IFB preachers are not like that at all.  Unfortunately, some are.

It's in the Old Testament also ...

Zechariah 11:1
Open thy doors

illinoisguy said:
"What I object to is the thundering from the pulpit that EVERY Christian is supposed to do this."

Agreed.  Some preachers will try to put everyone on a guilt trip on this issue, or if not this, then something else, anything else.  Back when I was doing the door-to-door soulwinning, the pastor complained to me that I wasn't doing it right.  In some churches, no matter how much you do, it isn't enough - you should have done more.  The laymen-serfs must always be made to feel guilty about something, no matter how much they do or how much they give.  Fortunately, many IFB preachers are not like that at all.  Unfortunately, some are.

Well said! I couldn't agree more! - I especially liked the "no matter how much you do, it isn't enough"; if one is not going, then one is at fault for not going; if one only goes monthly or every other week, then one is at  fault for not going each week; if one goes weekly, then one is at fault for not putting in enough hours or time to see people saved; if one is seeing people saved, then one it at fault for not seeing more people saved... so thankful that our family is out of that kind of manipulation and control.

So much of these people who carry on about this don't seem to believe in their own teaching; they will say that it is "all about numbers" or "a matter of statistics", but Biblical teaching is that my job is not to see people saved; my job is to be a witness to the truth: the Holy Spirit can then use that truth and convict the lost man, and the lost man has to decide whether or not to accept Christ. So much of the IFB soul-winning frenzy was all about getting people to say a prayer, and then cramming reassurance into them along with manipulation to get them to come to church and get them "down the aisle".  As one lost man said who went through this experience: "it was all very manic".

Having said that, I do believe that one should be a witness; after all, if no one comes to Christ, there will be no followers after the current generation passes off of the scene.

I don't like it when preachers try to put guilt on me; it's different when a preacher preaches the Scriptures and the Holy Spirit convicts me; I cannot say that I necessarily "like" it, but it's real instead of manmade.