Are you in the 4%?

Not sure why someone would want to make fun of someone making the choice to go to church three times a week. Is it a bad thing to want to go to church and learn more about your Heavenly Father?

You don't go to church. You are part of the church.

And often the best place to learn about the Father is away from that building.

kaba said:
Not sure why someone would want to make fun of someone making the choice to go to church three times a week. Is it a bad thing to want to go to church and learn more about your Heavenly Father?

Not sure why someone would want to make fun of someone who makes the choice to go to church multiple time a week but in different context than just congregational meetings. Are they suggesting that these people do not hunger to learn more about their Heavenly Father?

kaba said:

No, but it's a bad thing to take your preference and turn it into a law. If you want to go to church three times a week, or even more, more power to you. But don't start throwing around bumper-sticker slogans like "three to thrive" as if it came down with Moses from the mountain.

I'm sure your (whoever you are) "church" is perfect, but based on my experience with Sunday evening services, the thing I learned about my heavenly father is that he doesn't attend Sunday evening service.  I think it's the music that turns him off. 

Why are people being criticized for going to church 3 times a week?

Why is it assumed, that if a person goes to church 3 times a week they judge others that don't?

Bruh said:

They aren't. And (again), the church isn't something you go to. It's something you are part of.

[quote author=Bruh]Why is it assumed, that if a person goes to church 3 times a week they judge others that don't?
[/quote]

Because of comments like this:

It may not be worth it for the pastor, I mean, think about it, 2,400 in the morning, very nice offering, 20 on Sunday night, offering, not so much.  - Bruh

Ransom said:
Bruh said:
It may not be worth it for the pastor, I mean, think about it, 2,400 in the morning, very nice offering, 20 on Sunday night, offering, not so much. 

We actually didn't take up an offering in the evening.

Please, feel free to join Reformed Guy in the "speaking from ignorance" section.

Come to think of it, it's you . . . you've already got a reserved seat.

:) I was actually just messing with you. Because it's kinda fun.  I'm sure you are a good guy that loves the Lord.

You are easy though. LOL

rsc2a said:
Bruh said:

They aren't. And (again), the church isn't something you go to. It's something you are part of.

[quote author=Bruh]Why is it assumed, that if a person goes to church 3 times a week they judge others that don't?

Because of comments like this:

It may not be worth it for the pastor, I mean, think about it, 2,400 in the morning, very nice offering, 20 on Sunday night, offering, not so much.  - Bruh
[/quote]

Yes you are correct the church is the people.

That comment I made I already addressed.

The church I'm currently attending doesn't have a Sunday evening service but rather a Saturday evening service....for two more weeks, that is.

The church is suffering from the 80/20 principle, mainly 20% of the folks are doing 80% of the work. The volunteers are getting stretched pretty thin, and with hardly anyone coming forward to help with Saturday evenings, the elders have decided to dropped that service at the end of the current sermon series in two weeks, and concentrate all resources / volunteers on the two Sunday morning services.

They will reexamine this decision in a years time and see if it will then be practical to restart the Saturday service or not.

HeDied4U said:
The church I'm currently attending doesn't have a Sunday evening service but rather a Saturday evening service....for two more weeks, that is.

The church is suffering from the 80/20 principle, mainly 20% of the folks are doing 80% of the work. The volunteers are getting stretched pretty thin, and with hardly anyone coming forward to help with Saturday evenings, the elders have decided to dropped that service at the end of the current sermon series in two weeks, and concentrate all resources / volunteers on the two Sunday morning services.

They will reexamine this decision in a years time and see if it will then be practical to restart the Saturday service or not.

I hear you loud and clear.  The reason there is an 20/80 rule is because it's true.  But I would encourage your church to not wait a full year to reassess.  Perhaps you might consider a mid-year review, or even better, a quarterly review.  Chances are, if you wait a full year, the church will have acclimated to the "new normal".  Hence, it's unlikely that the service will ever be reimplemented, even if it would serve a real need.   

I don't know whether we count as in the 4% or not, since we have a Sunday eventing service, but no Sunday morning service.

Izdaari said:
I don't know whether we count as in the 4% or not, since we have a Sunday eventing service, but no Sunday morning service.

Reprobate!  God expects you to be there on Sunday mornings.  The earlier, the better.  It says so in the Authorized King James Holy Bible.  Somewhere. 

The Rogue Tomato said:
Izdaari said:

Reprobate!  God expects you to be there on Sunday mornings.  The earlier, the better.  It says so in the Authorized King James Holy Bible.  Somewhere.

:p

Sorry, I use the NRSV. And we don't have a morning service for me to be at. Not that it would do any good for me to be there anyway, after getting home from work around 4am Sunday morning. I'd just sleep through it.

We have a Sunday morning and Sunday night service.....

Not long after our new pastor arrived in town, I overslept or something and missed all but the last ten minutes of the AM service. There was something going on in the SS hour (ours is after service) that I was involved in so late was the best I was going to be able to do that day.

When the service ended and we were mingling in the lobby I mentioned to him that I was late and jokingly asked if I still got my attendance points since I was there for the closing prayer and song. He looked at me with the most precious look of bewilderment and said "you guys keep score?" Yep. He is a great guy.

We have four identical weekend services to accommodate for space. There is no way we could have A different Sunday night service.

I never understood Sunday night church anyway... By the time I was just ending up processing what I heard in the AM I found myself having to restart the processing system all over again in the PM, forgetting what I previously processed a few hours before.

A mid-week service seems to make so much more sense

Patebald said:
I never understood Sunday night church anyway...

Sunday services came about for a multitude of reasons. In North America, I believe, the primary influence was the Puritans, who had two services on Sundays, one the main worship service, and the other more focused on catechism instruction. (They adapted this from Calvin's habit of preaching twice, once for regular worship and once for instruction and education.)

Other reasons included: Providing an alternative to secular entertainments, evangelistic meetings, itinerant preachers who would preach in one church in the morning and another in the evening, an alternative service for those whose work prevented them from going in the morning, and so forth.

All of these are good reasons to have an extra service. The problem is that the "three to thrive" crowd have taken a pragmatic concession and turned it into a test of orthodoxy - the thing itself. That is textbook Pharisaism.

Ransom - good info. Thanks, man. I'm still not gonna have one :)