Attendance at IFB colleges

RAIDER

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
On another thread we were discussing the attendance at HAC this year.  While no one is sure, the general consensus is about 420.  It makes me wonder what the attendances are at some of the other IFB colleges of the somewhat HAC stripe.  Here are a few that came to my mind.  Please feel free to add others.

HAC - 420
Providence Baptist College (Elgin, IL)
Grace Baptist College (Gaylord, MI)
Commonwealth Baptist College (Lexington, KY) - 186
Shawnee Baptist College (Louisville, KY) - 30
Golden State Baptist College (Santa Clara, CA) - 325
West Coast Baptist College (Lancaster, CA) - 1000
Crown College (Powell, TN) - 900
Heartland Bible Baptist College (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma) - 400
Texas Independent Baptist Seminary (Longview, Texas)

Crown College could be added to the list.  I'm uncertain of their enrollment, but surely it's considerably
higher than HAC's 420(ish).

tobytyler said:
Crown College could be added to the list.  I'm uncertain of their enrollment, but surely it's considerably
higher than HAC's 420(ish).

Absolutely!  I will add them.

After all - - - - -it's all about the numbers!

It is obvious that HAC has suffered immeasurably since the Schaap fiasco, but is that the majority of the reason for its demise?
Or is part of the blame Pastor Wilkerson's inability to draw more students?

16KJV11 said:
It is obvious that HAC has suffered immeasurably since the Schaap fiasco, but is that the majority of the reason for its demise?
Or is part of the blame Pastor Wilkerson's inability to draw more students?

Seriously?

Schaap was not a Johnny-Come-Lately.  He was an integral part of the college beginning in 96 when he became VP.  Even before that, he was one of the chosen - a charismatic speaker who drew long lines for his classes and counseling (if we can call it that).  The system in place had backed him and his heresy for almost a decade as their pastor.  His doctrinal and procedural errors were theirs.  Then the court case and criminal trial.

Just because Schaap is in prison, doesn't mean anyone should trust the same establishment that booted him and turned him into the police.  If the establishment didn't have the wisdom to see....... how can they train me?

Binaca Chugger said:
Schaap was not a Johnny-Come-Lately.  He was an integral part of the college beginning in 96 when he became VP.  Even before that, he was one of the chosen - a charismatic speaker who drew long lines for his classes and counseling (if we can call it that).  The system in place had backed him and his heresy for almost a decade as their pastor.  His doctrinal and procedural errors were theirs.  Then the court case and criminal trial.

Just because Schaap is in prison, doesn't mean anyone should trust the same establishment that booted him and turned him into the police.  If the establishment didn't have the wisdom to see....... how can they train me?

This is a valid part of the problem (regarding student enrollment at HAC). I know dozens of alumni pastoring churches. I can count on one hand those who still actively seek to send their students to our alma mater. Most of that withdrawal began under Schaap long before he ever blew up, and that blow up only solidified/made easier such decisions of withdrawal. The decline in student enrollment is also aggravated by the other options available, some of which have been mentioned on this thread.

...but, back to this quote, there are still a bunch of men, including myself, who even though JS is gone cannot find it in themselves to recommend HAC. There has been no large scale shake up of the staff at either the church or the school, and most of us think there desperately needed to be one. In a sense, I can understand why Wilkerson won't do that. I'm assuming he doesn't want to damage an already fragile church situation. But the result of that is many alumni don't trust the staff at either institution. Either they were too spiritually inept to notice what was wrong with Schaap, or they were too cowardly, too much yes men to do anything about it. In either case, who would trust them with their children?

Yes, John Wilkerson is working hard at repairing relationships with alumni around the country and he is wise to do that. But other than him being in the pulpit what has changed about the church or the college that would make us comfortable with it? Nothing that I can see, and therein lies a serious problem.

Tom Brennan said:
Binaca Chugger said:

This is a valid part of the problem (regarding student enrollment at HAC). I know dozens of alumni pastoring churches. I can count on one hand those who still actively seek to send their students to our alma mater. Most of that withdrawal began under Schaap long before he ever blew up, and that blow up only solidified/made easier such decisions of withdrawal. The decline in student enrollment is also aggravated by the other options available, some of which have been mentioned on this thread.

...but, back to this quote, there are still a bunch of men, including myself, who even though JS is gone cannot find it in themselves to recommend HAC. There has been no large scale shake up of the staff at either the church or the school, and most of us think there desperately needed to be one. In a sense, I can understand why Wilkerson won't do that. I'm assuming he doesn't want to damage an already fragile church situation. But the result of that is many alumni don't trust the staff at either institution. Either they were too spiritually inept to notice what was wrong with Schaap, or they were too cowardly, too much yes men to do anything about it. In either case, who would trust them with their children?

Yes, John Wilkerson is working hard at repairing relationships with alumni around the country and he is wise to do that. But other than him being in the pulpit what has changed about the church or the college that would make us comfortable with it? Nothing that I can see, and therein lies a serious problem.

The sheep are only doing what they were taught under JH.  I'm sure no one would disagree, that JH taught that, you do not question the Pastor. JS, knew this. 

IMO, JH bred a bunch of cowards, be it JS, Moffit, Young, Lapina or any other of the insiders.  They all allowed JS to teach what he taught.  The church as a whole is to blame but there again, this is what they were taught. 

IM0, it is very sad that these men do not know the Bible enough to know that they had all authority to make JS step down. 

Tom is correct on this. Even though I live in the area and attended fbch I haven't been to a chapel service in years. I had heard news and rumors that the college was in a downward spiral even when Schaap first took over and that they were barely hanging on financially. When Schaap first took the pastorate he didn't travel for a few years because he was focusing on the church. After a few years he started again and I was told that it was because of declining enrollment and that he needed to be more visual to prospective college students.

BALAAM said:
Tom is correct on this. Even though I live in the area and attended fbch I haven't been to a chapel service in years. I had heard news and rumors that the college was in a downward spiral even when Schaap first took over and that they were barely hanging on financially. When Schaap first took the pastorate he didn't travel for a few years because he was focusing on the church. After a few years he started again and I was told that it was because of declining enrollment and that he needed to be more visual to prospective college students.

His traveling again may have provided an alibi or two as well for a few years.

BALAAM said:

Whether or not we like to admit it or not, in our IFB world a college is not going to thrive and draw without a strong pastoral leader.  Preacher boys oftimes go to a college because they want to pattern their ministry after the church attached to the college.  Many times they want to be like the pastor.  Again, wheter we like to admit it or not, there were plenty or preacher boys who thought Schaap was "the man".

I have mentioned before, I have never heard Wilkerson preach.  I don't know if he has what it takes to draw Preacher boys to HAC.

Here are the numbers that we have so far.  Are there any disputes or does anyone have other numbers?

HAC - 420
Commonwealth Baptist College (Lexington, KY)
Shawnee Baptist College (Louisville, KY)
Golden State Baptist College (Santa Clara, CA)
West Coast Baptist College (Lancaster, CA) - 1,000

Would you include Heartland in OK city with this list?

Longview?

Anishinaabe

Binaca Chugger said:
Would you include Heartland in OK city with this list?

Yes, i will add it to the list.

Here is the latest update.  Any new names or numbers?

HAC - 420
Commonwealth Baptist College (Lexington, KY)
Shawnee Baptist College (Louisville, KY)
Golden State Baptist College (Santa Clara, CA)
West Coast Baptist College (Lancaster, CA) - 1,000
Heartland Bible Baptist College (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma)
Texas Independent Baptist Seminary (Longview, Texas)