Attendance at IFB colleges

RAIDER said:
BALAAM said:
Tom is correct on this. Even though I live in the area and attended fbch I haven't been to a chapel service in years. I had heard news and rumors that the college was in a downward spiral even when Schaap first took over and that they were barely hanging on financially. When Schaap first took the pastorate he didn't travel for a few years because he was focusing on the church. After a few years he started again and I was told that it was because of declining enrollment and that he needed to be more visual to prospective college students.

Whether or not we like to admit it or not, in our IFB world a college is not going to thrive and draw without a strong pastoral leader.  Preacher boys oftimes go to a college because they want to pattern their ministry after the church attached to the college.  Many times they want to be like the pastor.  Again, wheter we like to admit it or not, there were plenty or preacher boys who thought Schaap was "the man".

I have mentioned before, I have never heard Wilkerson preach.  I don't know if he has what it takes to draw Preacher boys to HAC.
Kind of what I was thinking too as I posted a bit earlier...whether it was all the Schaap debacle or the fact that Bro. Wilkerson may not be attracting people. 
But B/C tends to think that I am naive!  :p
I understand B/C's point and agree with it, but I also believe that a lot of alumni would love to send their kids back to HAC.

16KJV11 said:
I also believe that a lot of alumni would love to send their kids back to HAC.

I find myself wanting HAC to succeed.  I was never been a big Schaap fan or a big Schaap critic.  When he became pastor I really wanted to see him succeed.  So many critics of FBCH said that after Dr. Hyles died there would be a major exodus.  I was happy when everything seemed to be kept together.  Of course, it was shortlived for me as Schaap's doctrinal stupidy started. 

16KJV11 said:
RAIDER said:
BALAAM said:
Tom is correct on this. Even though I live in the area and attended fbch I haven't been to a chapel service in years. I had heard news and rumors that the college was in a downward spiral even when Schaap first took over and that they were barely hanging on financially. When Schaap first took the pastorate he didn't travel for a few years because he was focusing on the church. After a few years he started again and I was told that it was because of declining enrollment and that he needed to be more visual to prospective college students.

Whether or not we like to admit it or not, in our IFB world a college is not going to thrive and draw without a strong pastoral leader.  Preacher boys oftimes go to a college because they want to pattern their ministry after the church attached to the college.  Many times they want to be like the pastor.  Again, wheter we like to admit it or not, there were plenty or preacher boys who thought Schaap was "the man".

I have mentioned before, I have never heard Wilkerson preach.  I don't know if he has what it takes to draw Preacher boys to HAC.
Kind of what I was thinking too as I posted a bit earlier...whether it was all the Schaap debacle or the fact that Bro. Wilkerson may not be attracting people. 
I understand B/C's point and agree with it, but I also believe that a lot of alumni would love to send their kids back to HAC.
I would never dream of sending my dog to HAC let alone my kids! Was talking to my nephew who attended a year or two at HAC. He hopes to send his son there.  I do not wish for HAC to "go away",  but I do not support it either!

16KJV11 said:

IF only any of us had the brains in our head the Bro. Hyles had in the tip of his pinky finger!!  8)

16KJV11 said:
RAIDER said:
BALAAM said:

I really cannot fathom a desire to send students back to HAC.  ESPECIALLY if you know what the leadership really is across the board.  In my opinion, this mindset is pure emotional baggage - the need to be loyal to your heritage, even when you recognize your heritage was dreadfully wrong.

I can't imagine the Wilkerson's primary motivations right now are keeping the college afloat.  I know for a fact that many upper level staff would be quite okay with letting it go away. 

RAIDER said:
Here is the latest update.  Any new names or numbers?

HAC - 420
Providence Baptist College (Elgin, IL)
Grace Baptist College (Gaylord, MI)
Commonwealth Baptist College (Lexington, KY)
Shawnee Baptist College (Louisville, KY)
Golden State Baptist College (Santa Clara, CA)
West Coast Baptist College (Lancaster, CA) - 1,000
Crown College (Powell, TN) - 900
Heartland Bible Baptist College (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma)
Texas Independent Baptist Seminary (Longview, Texas)

How about Fairhaven and New England Baptist College?

Lone Ranger said:
RAIDER said:

HAC - 420

Fairhaven purposely stays local, small,  with an annual attendance of around 40 students.

Anishinaabe

prophet said:
Lone Ranger said:
RAIDER said:

HAC - 420

Fairhaven purposely stays local, small,  with an annual attendance of around 40 students.

Anishinaabe

They are trying to stay just under the radar, they have enough problems as it is without getting too big.

If you use the term college for them it is just wishful thinking. Institute would be more accurate.

IMHO

I received a few new updates during the weekend.

HAC - 420
Commonwealth Baptist College (Lexington, KY) - 186
Shawnee Baptist College (Louisville, KY) - 30
Golden State Baptist College (Santa Clara, CA) - 325
West Coast Baptist College (Lancaster, CA) - 1000

There are two that surprise me.  I did not realize Crown had so many students, and I thought Golden State had more.

RAIDER said:

HAC - 420

I would imagine that Commonwealth's count is being done evangelistically.

Shawnee's looks pretty low.  I thought they were around 50-75.

Binaca Chugger said:
RAIDER said:

HAC - 420

I have both those numbers from very reliable sources.  I would bank on them.  I would like to have some more input on Crown.

RAIDER said:
Binaca Chugger said:
RAIDER said:

HAC - 420

I have both those numbers from very reliable sources.  I would bank on them.  I would like to have some more input on Crown.

so reliable it has bias?  just sayin' 

They probably aren't far off though.

Binaca Chugger said:
RAIDER said:
Binaca Chugger said:
RAIDER said:

HAC - 420

so reliable it has bias?  just sayin' 

They probably aren't far off though.

Actually, no bias.  Both people are not "blow up" numbers people.  Both would tend to lean on the conservative side.

when was and what was the highest attendance that Hyles anderson ever had?

16KJV11 said:
when was and what was the highest attendance that Hyles anderson ever had?

That is a good question.  I was thinking in the 2000s.  I definitely could be wrong.  Time to get out the Cabers and count!

I graduated from Crown in 2006. I would say that 900 students at that time would be quite accurate. Chapel was held in the church's sanctuary (which must seat at least 2,000). The building was over half full for every chapel service.

Crown grew like crazy during the eight years I lived there. I think the emergence of WCBC stemmed the tide for them, but I think they haven't gone backward in numbers. I could be wrong about this. I haven't been on campus for a couple of years.

RAIDER said:

HAC - 420

Since there were only a few IFB colleges 30 yrs. ago, would it be reasonable to say total attendance is about the same, it’s just spread out over many more schools.
Using the above list, plus estimates for the other schools, I come up with about 3500. My guess is that is a little down from 30 years ago for IFB Schools but not by much. 

Compare that to over 100,000 total enrollment for Liberty (13,000 resident & 90,000 online). 

Update: 

HAC - 420

Heartland Bible Baptist College (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma) - 400

We still need numbers from Providence, Grace, and TIBS.