Beverly Hyles

Ransom

Stalker
Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
FYI, in case you haven't heard, I saw on FBCH's Facebook page that Beverly Hyles, widow of Jack, passed away yesterday.

Source

Ransom said:
FYI, in case you haven't heard, I saw on FBCH's Facebook page that Beverly Hyles, widow of Jack, passed away yesterday.

Source

I had not heard; thanks for posting!

Sorry to hear that. I know another Pastor's wife who passed away just a day after (only he is still living).  Not a good week.  I have a funeral to go to on Monday. 

The enabler has assumed room temperature.

bruinboy said:
Is it best to mock the dead?  I have never been to Hammond Baptist but was involved in an extreme form of the "Independent Fundamental Baptist"  culture.  The church I started attending in Beaufort, SC while in the Marine Corps would make Jack Hyles seem like a moderate.  The pastor was the "final authority" in spite of insisting the King James Bible was.  There is a cult mentality among many in that movement.  A few examples.

Men wearing wedding bands was forbidden.  No celebrations of birthdays of any kind.  No observances of "Christmas" or "Easter" and we even had literature that those who did were probably going to hell.  Any woman wearing any kind of boots were mocked.  One man had a sister who lived in Montana who was involved in an automobile accident and requested prayer for her but had to point out that she was wearing boots at the time of the accident.  I invited another Marine to the church and he noticed that every man in the service was wearing boots.  He leaned over to me and jokingly said that he was "wearing boots in the Spirit." 

I went to a funeral where an infant died shortly after birth and at the cemetery as the "pastor" was giving the final words before they laid the baby in the grave told everyone there that the child was dead because of the "sins of its parents."  I had no idea of what he was talking about. 

He had one sermon entitled "Men with Long Hair, Women Wearing Pants and the Civil Rights Movement."  In that service was a Black man who looked like he had been drinking sitting towards the back.  One thing that Black man heard while seeking spiritual things was the following statement, and I quote.  "Some Black people are going to hell because they can't stand to be called  Nig*ers ; racial pride."

We were street preaching close to Christmas time and one of the young men while standing in the back of a pickup truck boldly proclaiming the gospel saw Santa Claus passing out candy to the children.  He pointed his finger at Santa and proclaimed at the top of his voice,  "Santa Claus is a picture of the Devil!  Of course Santa was offended and shouted back "I'll kill you!"  To which he replied, "God won't let you!"  There never was a dull moment.

I could go on an on.  I was so brainwashed by the time I got out of the Marine Corps that only by the grace of God did I leave the "King James Only" movement.  I was sincere but sincerely wrong.

Mrs. Hyles was married to a man that was definitely a cult figure and I do feel sympathy for people caught up in things like that.  I was in a service where the pastor was talking about marriage and pointed out that if a woman is beaten up and runs home to mama she should send her back to her abusive husband because she promised to never leave him in her wedding vows.  She may have been an "enabler" to some and will give an account just like you and I will some day but I believe she was brainwashed as many in those circles are.  I'm sure you are Mr. perfect!  To mock her after her passing is wrong!

biscuit1953 said:
bruinboy said:
Is it best to mock the dead?  I have never been to Hammond Baptist but was involved in an extreme form of the "Independent Fundamental Baptist"  culture.  The church I started attending in Beaufort, SC while in the Marine Corps would make Jack Hyles seem like a moderate.  The pastor was the "final authority" in spite of insisting the King James Bible was.  There is a cult mentality among many in that movement.  A few examples.

Men wearing wedding bands was forbidden.  No celebrations of birthdays of any kind.  No observances of "Christmas" or "Easter" and we even had literature that those who did were probably going to hell.  Any woman wearing any kind of boots were mocked.  One man had a sister who lived in Montana who was involved in an automobile accident and requested prayer for her but had to point out that she was wearing boots at the time of the accident.  I invited another Marine to the church and he noticed that every man in the service was wearing boots.  He leaned over to me and jokingly said that he was "wearing boots in the Spirit." 

I went to a funeral where an infant died shortly after birth and at the cemetery as the "pastor" was giving the final words before they laid the baby in the grave told everyone there that the child was dead because of the "sins of its parents."  I had no idea of what he was talking about. 

He had one sermon entitled "Men with Long Hair, Women Wearing Pants and the Civil Rights Movement."  In that service was a Black man who looked like he had been drinking sitting towards the back.  One thing that Black man heard while seeking spiritual things was the following statement, and I quote.  "Some Black people are going to hell because they can't stand to be called  Nig*ers ; racial pride."

We were street preaching close to Christmas time and one of the young men while standing in the back of a pickup truck boldly proclaiming the gospel saw Santa Claus passing out candy to the children.  He pointed his finger at Santa and proclaimed at the top of his voice,  "Santa Claus is a picture of the Devil!  Of course Santa was offended and shouted back "I'll kill you!"  To which he replied, "God won't let you!"  There never was a dull moment.

I could go on an on.  I was so brainwashed by the time I got out of the Marine Corps that only by the grace of God did I leave the "King James Only" movement.  I was sincere but sincerely wrong.

Mrs. Hyles was married to a man that was definitely a cult figure and I do feel sympathy for people caught up in things like that.  I was in a service where the pastor was talking about marriage and pointed out that if a woman is beaten up and runs home to mama she should send her back to her abusive husband because she promised to never leave him in her wedding vows.  She may have been an "enabler" to some and will give an account just like you and I will some day but I believe she was brainwashed as many in those circles are.  I'm sure you are Mr. perfect!  To mock her after her passing is wrong!
The truth is never wrong

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

FSSL said:
prophet said:
The truth is never wrong

Correction: Speaking the truth in love is never wrong.
No, that isn't "correction".
It was intrinsically true as a stand alone statement.
So, it needed no "correction".

I agree with your statement, of course, but probably not with your definition of "love".

Jesus loved to point out the hypocrisy around Him...
Paul slandered many people in his epistles...
Peter was strait up rough..

Truth is truth. It needs no apologetics.

prophet said:

I agree with your statement, of course, but probably not with your definition of "love".

Since the context is mocking, I am sure that I disagree with your definition of love. Genuine love does not does involve mocking.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs

Ransom said:
prophet said:
Paul slandered many people in his epistles...

Really? Name five and describe the slander.
I'll start with one. How about a Continent?

2 Timothy 1:15
This thou knowest, that all they which are in Asia be turned away from me; of whom are Phygellus and Hermogenes.

FSSL said:
prophet said:

Since the context is mocking, I am sure that I disagree with your definition of love. Genuine love does not does involve mocking.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs
1Co 13:4 ? 1Co 13:5
Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

Charite is pacient, it is benygne; charite enuyeth not, it doith not wickidli, it is not blowun, it is not coueytouse, it sekith not tho thingis that ben hise owne, it is not stirid to wraththe, it thenkith not yuel,

Love suffreth longe and is corteous. Love envieth not. Love doth not frowardly swelleth not dealeth not dishonestly seketh not her awne is not provoked to anger thynketh not evyll

Nope, didn't read that line in any book I respect...

Words have meaning. Are you so caught up in the version debate that the Bible can no longer mean what it means?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prophet said:

In other words, after claiming Paul slandered "many," you can't even name one person he slandered without changing your story.

*yawn*

Ransom said:
prophet said:

In other words, after claiming Paul slandered "many," you can't even name one person he slandered without changing your story.

*yawn*
I named 2 specifically, and a whole Continent, generally, which is a lot more than 5.

Your intellectual dishonesty isn't helping.

Try quoting my whole post, slick.

prophet said:
I named 2 specifically, and a whole Continent, generally, which is a lot more than 5.

Yes, you named two people and a continent. You failed to show they were slandered, which is equivalent to naming zero people or continents.

Perhaps you think I should just take your word for it. Think again.

Ransom said:
prophet said:

Yes, you named two people and a continent. You failed to show they were slandered, which is equivalent to naming zero people or continents.

Perhaps you think I should just take your word for it. Think again.
Nope, I didn't name anybody...
I quoted Paul, who slandered (maybe you don't like that term, feel free to correct it with one you seem more fitting, if that's your beef) 2 people and a Continent in one verse.

I made my point.

Paul named people and their weaknesses/sins.

I don't even remember why we are beating this dead horse anymore.

Yawn.