Biblical Discipline:Things That Make You Go "What The .....?"

subllibrm

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
When my wife was a young girl she went to summer camp with her church. Her pastor and another would combine their church youth and rent a facility to put on a week of bible camp. This would have been in the mid to early 70's

The pastor from the other church had a family in his congregation that took in foster kids. One of them was a bit of a hard case who really struggled with trust and authority figures were as untrustworthy to him as you could get. He also had long(ish) hair. So on the first day of camp the pastor paraded the young man up in front of all the kids at dinner and pronounced that "Clark" would not be able to participate in activities without first having his hair cut. He proceeded to sit him down in front of all the other campers and cut his hair to a butch/buzz cut with a set of clippers. He then explained to the the rest of the kids that he was teaching them a lesson in biblical discipline.

Things that make you go "what the .....?"

I've never heard of a hair rule at a summer camp and that includes IFB that I know.  Wouldn't it also be a criticism of this boy's parents or is he an orphan? The parents are the ones who allowed him to have longish hair.

Not sure if I should tell the story of the coach who cut a kid's tongue with a pocket knife for saying a bad word, or the guy who was beaten bareback with a belt in front of the guys at camp for putting Vaseline in the eyes of other campers, or the teacher slugging a high school kid down the bleachers, or the kid who was made to run through the Christian school hallways shirtless carrying tires around his torso with the coach screaming at him that he would get demerits if he dropped it down so the girls in the hall would see his nipples, or...

Gotta love Hammond Baptist...or not!

Smellin Coffee said:
Not sure if I should tell the story of the coach who cut a kid's tongue with a pocket knife for saying a bad word, or the guy who was beaten bareback with a belt in front of the guys at camp for putting Vaseline in the eyes of other campers, or the teacher slugging a high school kid down the bleachers, or the kid who was made to run through the Christian school hallways shirtless carrying tires around his torso with the coach screaming at him that he would get demerits if he dropped it down so the girls in the hall would see his nipples, or...

Gotta love Hammond Baptist...or not!

Shame on the dads for not sending these so called men to the hospital.

The heel of my work boots would be meeting there face about 100 times. 

subllibrm said:
When my wife was a young girl she went to summer camp with her church. Her pastor and another would combine their church youth and rent a facility to put on a week of bible camp. This would have been in the mid to early 70's

The pastor from the other church had a family in his congregation that took in foster kids. One of them was a bit of a hard case who really struggled with trust and authority figures were as untrustworthy to him as you could get. He also had long(ish) hair. So on the first day of camp the pastor paraded the young man up in front of all the kids at dinner and pronounced that "Clark" would not be able to participate in activities without first having his hair cut. He proceeded to sit him down in front of all the other campers and cut his hair to a butch/buzz cut with a set of clippers. He then explained to the the rest of the kids that he was teaching them a lesson in biblical discipline.

The minister was right about the hair, and wrong about the way he went about it.  Certainly, the carrot and stick method is far better in raising healthy young Warriors for Christ.

brianb said:
I've never heard of a hair rule at a summer camp and that includes IFB that I know.  Wouldn't it also be a criticism of this boy's parents or is he an orphan? The parents are the ones who allowed him to have longish hair.

Foster child. The mom was trying to exercise grace with the young man. The hair issue was a bone of contention between pastor and mom back at the church. Once he had the boy away from home and mom he pulled the stunt. That is bad enough but to do it in front of everyone is just nuts.

RevBob said:
subllibrm said:

The minister was right about the hair, and wrong about the way he went about it.  Certainly, the carrot and stick method is far better in raising healthy young Warriors for Christ.
No he was just wrong! Period.

Ummm, not to diminish the alleged offense, but we're talking about a matter 40 years past.  It's time to let some things go, people.

Anchor said:
Ummm, not to diminish the alleged offense, but we're talking about a matter 40 years past.  It's time to let some things go, people.

Agree or disagree it is interesting what people did back then. Someone pull a stunt like that today and there would be assault charges and 15minutes of internet fame! ;)

RevBob said:
subllibrm said:

Why would this guy even be worried about this young mans hair? 

The concern needs to be about the inside NOT HAIR!!!  SMH at you

Also, the child was abused, so, why would you even mention "yea but he was right about his hair being to long"?  SMH

RevBob said:
T-Bone said:

Wrong about cutting long hair on a male???

Yes...what length is acceptable?  And why was it any of his business?  If he or anybody did that to one of my family members I would have him charged with assault!

Anchor said:

Would agree...except Rev has already proven this attitude and action is not something just in the past.

If I may digress, I wish his user name was RevTony.............................but that's just me

RevBob said:
subllibrm said:

As a pastor who also is a foster provider, my perspective is that they were dead wrong.  The "lesson" that boy most likely learned from that camp experience is that "Christians" are just as abusive as the bad situation he came out of... the only difference is their abuse is dressed up in religious clothing.

I know things have changed since the 70's, but I can tell you that if that was tried today, that pastor would probably be facing abuse charges, and the foster provider would lose their certification (and might even face charges himself.)

RevBob said:

Well, as a "Rev," how would you or your congregation feel if you were charged with assault, or at the very least if a concerned citizen notified a government employee that your barber's licence might not be entirely in order?

T-Bone said:
RevBob said:
T-Bone said:

Yes...what length is acceptable?  And why was it any of his business?  If he or anybody did that to one of my family members I would have him charged with assault!
The Bible says that it is a shame for a man to have long hair.  That pretty much settles that.  Christian camp = Christian rules.  Christian house = Christian rules.  Christian church = Christian rules.

As for your charge with assault comment, you need Jesus!  Believe in the true Jesus of the Bible (KJV), repent of your sins, and accept Him as Lord and Savior!

Bob H said:
If I may digress, I wish his user name was RevTony.............................but that's just me

My name is Bob, not Tony.

RevBob said:
T-Bone said:
RevBob said:
T-Bone said:

The Bible says that it is a shame for a man to have long hair.  That pretty much settles that.  Christian camp = Christian rules.  Christian house = Christian rules.  Christian church = Christian rules.

As for your charge with assault comment, you need Jesus!  Believe in the true Jesus of the Bible (KJV), repent of your sins, and accept Him as Lord and Savior!

Since you have falsely charge a fellow believer according to the KJV what does that make you?  Again, can you tell me the length of hair that violates the Scripture?  Now let me give you some advice...don't try to teach anybody anything, you're an idiot.

T-Bone said:
Since you have falsely charge a fellow believer according to the KJV what does that make you?  Again, can you tell me the length of hair that violates the Scripture?  Now let me give you some advice...don't try to teach anybody anything, you're an idiot.
Fellow believer?  Are you a believer given that you condemn a Christian pastor for cutting the shameful long hair of teenage boy that the pastor was in charge of?!  As for what constitutes "long", frankly that's up to the pastor--he's the one in charge of the boy.    Sure, the preacher was wrong to make such spectacle of it instead of shaming boy's parents/foster parents into doing the right thing.  But he was most certainly right to make the kid look respectable and Christian.