Billy Graham

Some time ago, I read the book Predestination: The American Career of a Contentious Doctrine. It discusses John R. Rice's conflicts with Billy Graham. The book contains a picture of Rice with Graham. The book alleges that along with Rice's attacks on Graham in the Sword of the Lord, Graham is the unnamed target of Rice's criticism in Predestined for Hell? No! I've never thought of Graham as a Calvinist, so that was a bit of a surprise to read.

HereIStand said:
Some time ago, I read the book Predestination: The American Career of a Contentious Doctrine. It discusses John R. Rice's conflicts with Billy Graham. The book contains a picture of Rice with Graham. The book alleges that along with Rice's attacks on Graham in the Sword of the Lord, Graham is the unnamed target of Rice's criticism in Predestined for Hell? No! I've never thought of Graham as a Calvinist, so that was a bit of a surprise to read.

Interesting.  Graham was a Southern Baptist and his wife Presbyterian, so it would not be a surprise if Graham was a moderate Calvinist.  As long as he preached "ye must be born again", I don't care if he's a Calvinist or not.

A true Calvinist wouldn't waste his time being an evangelist.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/03/02/billy-graham-was-a-squish-who-surrendered-bible-doctrine-a-long-time-ago/

http://time.com/money/5168865/billy-graham-net-worth-quotes-money-greed/

I will admit that this brothers me assuming it is true.

LongGone said:

Me thinks that when someone of his fame & following sells as many books as he did he might have a few royalty check deposited into his bank account each month. But seeing as he was buried in a coffin fashioned & made by prison inmates, I doubt that he cared for the bucks. 

Ok here is your true HAC Billy Graham tie in . .

Famed Hyles Anderson Security Detail member and later Campus Host John Olsen and his wife Ruth had a daughter named Janis.  She married a man named Dan Reber and i believe they were on staff or were at least part of the ministry at Liberty U.  They had a daughter named Donna.  Donna met and married a young man named Will.  Will's father just happens to be .. .  Wait for it . . .

Franklin.

John and Ruth Olsen and Billy and Ruth Graham share great grandchildren.

Will was a pallbearer and Donna's parents were at the funeral and I saw them on the MSNBC recording.

And now this thread is legitimately a HAC thread.

TidesofTruth said:
Ok here is your true HAC Billy Graham tie in . .

Famed Hyles Anderson Security Detail member and later Campus Host John Olsen and his wife Ruth had a daughter named Janis.  She married a man named Dan Reber and i believe they were on staff or were at least part of the ministry at Liberty U.  They had a daughter named Donna.  Donna met and married a young man named Will.  Will's father just happens to be .. .  Wait for it . . .

Franklin.

John and Ruth Olsen and Billy and Ruth Graham share great grandchildren.

Will was a pallbearer and Donna's parents were at the funeral and I saw them on the MSNBC recording.

And now this thread is legitimately a HAC thread.

Is this like the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon?

fishinnut said:
LongGone said:

Me thinks that when someone of his fame & following sells as many books as he did he might have a few royalty check deposited into his bank account each month. But seeing as he was buried in a coffin fashioned & made by prison inmates, I doubt that he cared for the bucks.

I agree that the I don't think the money drove him. I am surely not for seeing people live in the ministry live in poverty. A salary of $450,000 and worth of 25 million is more than a few royalty checks.

LongGone said:
fishinnut said:
LongGone said:

I agree that the I don't think the money drove him. I am surely not for seeing people live in the ministry live in poverty. A salary of $450,000 and worth of 25 million is more than a few royalty checks.
???

fishinnut said:
LongGone said:

Maybe he didn't (care for the bucks) but apparently his son Franklin does care. Hence, his coercion to have his parents buried at the BG Library instead of The Cove.

"After much prayer and discussion, Ruth and I made the decision to be buried beside each other at the Billy Graham Library in my home town of Charlotte, N.C.," Billy Graham is quoted as saying in a news release posted on the Web site of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association. The couple made this decision in early spring, the statement said, and decided to announce it "now that she is close to going to heaven."

The burial site has been a matter of contention for months, threatening to break apart the country's most famous Christian family. A Washington Post story in December revealed that son Franklin Graham, chief executive officer of the BGEA, had told potential donors that he planned to bury his parents at the Billy Graham Library in Charlotte.

Two of the other four Graham children, Ned Graham and Anne Graham Lotz, objected, as did Ruth, who called the library, a Disney-like building in the shape of a barn, "a circus." In the presence of six witnesses, including Ned, a neuroscientist and a Graham employee, Ruth signed a notarized statement saying she wished to be buried in a memorial garden at the Cove, a mountain retreat center that she and Billy built about 20 years ago.

Originally, she and Billy wanted to be buried there, the document said, and "under no circumstances am I to be buried in Charlotte, N.C."

But in March, Ruth and Billy signed another document saying they wanted to be buried in Charlotte, according to BGEA spokesman Larry Ross. Ross said the paper was signed in the presence of an attorney and a doctor.

<snip>

After the Post story ran, Billy said he and Ruth would be buried at the Cove. In early January, David Bruce, Billy Graham's executive assistant, circulated among the family a tentative plan for Ruth's burial at the Cove. Asked two days ago whether that plan was still in place, Bruce said it was, as far as he knew.

Ned Graham said yesterday that when he visited his mother a week and a half ago, she told him she still intended to be buried at the Cove. He said he and his sister Anne first learned of the change last night.

"I know this goes against my mother's wishes," he said.

Source