BJU still struggling with IFB-X issues.

The alumnus, who talked to board members, said Pettit had been criticized for the style of worship music played at student chapel services, “immodest clothing” worn by female athletes, questionable performances and musical selections from the fine arts program, and even Pettit’s participation in a bluegrass music band.​

Oh no, not bluegrass! Pettit's career will come to a shocking end when someone posts pictures of him using his dobro slide a little too sensually. The scandal will make Junior Falwell look like a saint.

I can tell you first hand, among hardcore fundamentalists (at least in the South), bluegrass has always gotten a pass as being acceptable to listen to, and was even played at church events (usually non-services, but sometimes even in a service, though usually toned down a bit when in church). Leadership would rail against rock and even country music, but bluegrass always got a little wink wink. I always found it a bit hypocritical because if you actually really listen to the lyrics of bluegrass, it can be quite raunchy. Their argument was always centered around the absence of that evil drum in bluegrass, and how it was usually present in rock and country. 🙄 I’m curious as to what’s being played in chapel at BJU these days that’s considered questionable.

A few years ago there was a bit of a fuss over BJU President Steve Pettit taking part in a bluegrass performance of the song "Rocky Top" which appears to approve of hillbillies who "get their corn from a jar" and who murder revenue agents.

Once two strangers climbed ol' Rocky Top
Lookin' for a moonshine still
Strangers ain't come down from Rocky Top
Reckon they never will
Corn won't grow at all on Rocky Top
Dirt's too rocky by far
That's why all the folks on Rocky Top
Get their corn from a jar
Rocky Top, you'll always be
Home sweet home to me
Good ol' Rocky Top
Rocky Top, Tennessee
Rocky Top, Tennessee

For those who are curious as to what music is being played in BJU chapel that is considered questionable, there is this, from David Cloud, dated December 15, 2020:

"For one thing, BJU is quickly capitulating to the siren song of contemporary worship music. The school now supports the use of some contemporary worship music, which is a dramatic change from its former position. Speaking at a chapel service as recently as March 12, 2001, Dr. Frank Garlock of Majesty Music warned, “If a church starts using CCM it will eventually lose all other standards.” Note that he said that if a church even STARTS to use CCM, it is on an inevitable slide away from its founding standards. At the time, that was still the prevailing view at BJU, but this is no longer the case. The view that “contemporary Christian music” is wrong and dangerous and should be avoided has been replaced with the view that it can be used safely with discretion. This is a dramatic change in philosophy, and it will produce an ever-increasing acceptance of CCM.

"In particular, BJU is accepting some Sovereign Grace and Getty Townend Music (GTM). Twenty-nine GTM songs are featured in Hymns Modern and Ancient, published by Heart Publications, a ministry of Steve Pettit Evangelistic Association and compiled by Fred Coleman who heads up Bob Jones University’s Department of Church Music. Getty-Townend are out-and-out contemporary rockers with no boundaries either in musical styles or associations. Getty is new Reformed Calvinist, while Townend is a “gibberish tongues-speaking, prophesying is for today, apostles are among us, kingdom now” charismatic. The Gettys partner with Roman Catholics such as Matt Maher, Margaret Becker, and Máire Brennan. GTM is a bridge to the one world church as surely as Hillsong. We have documented this extensively in the report “The Gettys--Pied Pipers of Contemporary Worship Music,” www.wayoflife.org, and in the video presentation “Bob Jones, Majesty Music, the New Calvinism, and the Gettys,” which is a part of 2020 The Satanic Attack on Sacred Music video series, available for free viewing and downloading at www.wayoflife.org.

"In the Internet age, to recommend some select GTM songs is, in effect, to point people to Stuart Townend and the Gettys online and to their influence.

"The new Bob Jones University position on music is quickly becoming the majority position among fundamental Baptists. It is obvious that a major corner has been turned, and it is only a matter of time when a complete capitulation to full-blown, anything-goes CCM will dominate."

I can tell you first hand, among hardcore fundamentalists (at least in the South), bluegrass has always gotten a pass as being acceptable to listen to, and was even played at church events (usually non-services, but sometimes even in a service, though usually toned down a bit when in church). Leadership would rail against rock and even country music, but bluegrass always got a little wink wink. I always found it a bit hypocritical because if you actually really listen to the lyrics of bluegrass, it can be quite raunchy. Their argument was always centered around the absence of that evil drum in bluegrass, and how it was usually present in rock and country. 🙄 I’m curious as to what’s being played in chapel at BJU these days that’s considered questionable.
Where I am, and where I have lived in the South, Bluegrass was a staple in life and in church, along with Southern Gospel (Country) music. Even growing up in the midwest, Country music was acceptable in church. But, rock & roll was a definite "no-no!" The hypocrisy over all of this is astounding to me. I hated the hypocrisy of the church then, and I hate it even more now. At BJU, many are making much-ado-about-nothing! I would still send any child of mine to BJU, MBU, or even Liberty!

More discussion about Pettit and BJU, for those who are interested. This post contains the full texts of the alumni letter in support of Pettit and the open letter from Dr. Bob III, which were referenced in the Ministry Watch article. One poster speculates that Dr. Bob III will soon be back as BJU president. Another states that BJU was on the brink of closing before Pettit came in, and may return to that dire situation if Pettit is dismissed.

Here is some commentary from Lou Martuneac, a long-time critic of BJU. Apparently some people are miffed at Pettit for allowing women to wear slacks to class, for allowing parents to decide where their student kids will attend church, and for preaching in Presbyterian churches. (No one complained about Presbyterian Ian Paisley preaching at BJU and being on the BJU board, but apparently the Presbyterians that Pettit associates with are not as militantly separationist as Paisley was).

For anyone who truly ever studied the music issue and why bluegrass style was more acceptable had nothing to do with the drum per se. It has to do with a drum and/or any rhythmic instrument in which the accent is place on the 2nd and forth beat. It is called the back beat. Back beat since the 50's and a bit before was always the issue in Rock and many Rock musicians acknowledged that the back beat was the thing that made their music different, makes people to want to dance and has a sexual enticement. Now that is not Baptist saying that. That was the musicians themselves. Most church music and most Southern Gospel and even most Country Music never used the back beat. Then in the 60/70s came the Bakersfield sound to Country brought in mainly by Merle Haggard and Buck Owens and Country became inundated with it to the point actually Country is indistinguishable from Rock Musically except they will throw in a Steel Guitar a mandolin or a fiddle. Southern Gospel Quickly followed suite.
Frank Garlock who is Ron Hamilton's (patch the Pirate) Father-in-law was a professor at BJU. He wrote and spoke of the issues with Rock Music and the back beat frequently in churches and Christian schools across the country in the 70s

Now as to the CCM element that was first introduced with Chuck Smith of Calvary Chapel when he let newly saved (like a week) hippies play at one of his services. In fact they had to wait for one of their friends to get released to play one night because he was in jail from a drug charge. This was the Jesus People movement and many of the early authors/artists were from there. Many who came after looked to these people as their forefathers.

Now the area where musically bluegrass style of music is quire hypocritical is where an instrument that typically plays a harmony like a mandolin or guitar is muted and only the strum is heard without notes and done on 2 and 4 essentially turning a Bluegrass ballad into the essence of Rock and Roll.

FTR I grew up in the music industry and worked as a engineer.

Their argument was always centered around the absence of that evil drum in bluegrass, and how it was usually present in rock and country.
They'd better keep their eyes on the mandolin player. He's getting suspiciously close to that infamous backbeat.

Getty-Townend are out-and-out contemporary rockers with no boundaries either in musical styles or associations.
Well, that's a funny way of saying "Irish Celtic-style folk hymns."
The Gettys partner with Roman Catholics such as Matt Maher, Margaret Becker, and Máire Brennan.
And that's a funny way of saying Cloud didn't do his homework. Matt Maher is a practicing Roman Catholic; Becker and Brennan are former Roman Catholics who attend nondenominational churches.

For anyone who truly ever studied the music issue and why bluegrass style was more acceptable had nothing to do with the drum per se. It has to do with a drum and/or any rhythmic instrument in which the accent is place on the 2nd and forth beat. It is called the back beat. Back beat since the 50's and a bit before was always the issue in Rock and many Rock musicians acknowledged that the back beat was the thing that made their music different, makes people to want to dance and has a sexual enticement. Now that is not Baptist saying that. That was the musicians themselves. Most church music and most Southern Gospel and even most Country Music never used the back beat. Then in the 60/70s came the Bakersfield sound to Country brought in mainly by Merle Haggard and Buck Owens and Country became inundated with it to the point actually Country is indistinguishable from Rock Musically except they will throw in a Steel Guitar a mandolin or a fiddle. Southern Gospel Quickly followed suite.
Frank Garlock who is Ron Hamilton's (patch the Pirate) Father-in-law was a professor at BJU. He wrote and spoke of the issues with Rock Music and the back beat frequently in churches and Christian schools across the country in the 70s

Now as to the CCM element that was first introduced with Chuck Smith of Calvary Chapel when he let newly saved (like a week) hippies play at one of his services. In fact they had to wait for one of their friends to get released to play one night because he was in jail from a drug charge. This was the Jesus People movement and many of the early authors/artists were from there. Many who came after looked to these people as their forefathers.

Now the area where musically bluegrass style of music is quire hypocritical is where an instrument that typically plays a harmony like a mandolin or guitar is muted and only the strum is heard without notes and done on 2 and 4 essentially turning a Bluegrass ballad into the essence of Rock and Roll.

FTR I grew up in the music industry and worked as an engineer.
Yeah, so your explanation sounds very reminiscent of what I recall hearing about thirty years ago, and it really makes no more sense to me now than it did three decades ago. I suppose if you’re a Christian college music major or a musician of some sort, maybe it can be used as an argument, but otherwise it just sounds absurd. Historically, the organ was the only instrument allowed in churches, and the piano was considered secular due to its affiliation with saloons and whatnot in America. Times change. To me, it’s all about how an instrument is played that determines whether it’s worldly or Godly. For that matter, a person could sing with no instruments (a cappella) and do so in a sensual/secular manner.

I am posting the "In Defense of the Gospel" article again, but this time, with the comments:

Lots of interesting comments, such as: "Lou, this was leaked intentionally to shore up support for Dr. Pettit. I will be very surprised if his contract is not-renewed. The outcry from current students and supportive staff will keep Pettit in place. The elephant in the room is the enormous amount of money at stake. A loss of 50 percent of the students would devastate the University. Principle and Biblical separation were put out to pasture years ago with the acceptance of Government funding. I could be wrong, but I think this is a last gasp effort on the part of Dr. Bob, III, who no doubt is quietly behind some of the more conservative board members, to bring the University back from decay and ruin. It is my opinion that it will not be successful."

The rumors are flying: there may be a massive walkout of students and faculty if Pettit is purged, etc. This looks like a no-win situation for BJU. Either way the board decides, a lot of people are going to be in a rage, either because they kept Pettit or because they dumped him, and BJU will lose a lot of students, staff and donations. Pettit should be able to land on his feet - he can always go back to the mandolin-strumming gig.

How does this make bluegrass "hypocritical"? You only have to listen to bluegrass recordings from the 30s or so, like Bill Monroe. That percussive style of mandolin strumming was there from the beginning. Bluegrass isn't imitating rock and roll.

Last edited:

FTR I grew up in the music industry and worked as a engineer.
An old friend and college classmate of mine, Kent Brandenberg has a book on the effects of music,, and the proper kind of music to listen to. He's quite open and honest about music. Most don't like this kind of honesty, but, in my opinion, TOUGH! The truth is the truth.

To me, it’s all about how an instrument is played that determines whether it’s worldly or Godly. For that matter, a person could sing with no instruments (a cappella) and do so in a sensual/secular manner.
That's true. The music's in the man, not the machine.

Last edited: