Bud Calvert's Son

Twisted

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Had another guest pastor in the bed next to me in the ward last week.  He asked if I knew what happened to Calvert's son who (we think) used to be pastor of the church (Fairfax Baptist Temple).

Anyone know anything?

Twisted said:
Had another guest pastor in the bed next to me in the ward last week.  He asked if I knew what happened to Calvert's son who (we think) used to be pastor of the church (Fairfax Baptist Temple).

Anyone know anything?

No, but I'm curious - I was a member there some time ago, and I would be interested.  At the time I was there, it was a real blessing.

Who is pastoring the church now?

Twisted said:

Anyone know anything?

He is currently working in Fairfax as a loan officer.

He stopped pastoring Fairfax in Jan 2016.

Walt said:
Twisted said:

Anyone know anything?

But why?

Twisted said:
Walt said:
Twisted said:

Anyone know anything?

But why?

I don't know; I'm hoping someone does.

He last mentioned his wife in Dec 2015 on twitter.  He doesn't mention in the list of family blessings.  I fear that they have separated.  I'm guessing that something happened in their marriage that made him step down.  I at first thought that she may have been killed in an accident, but she was still around in Sept 2016 - long after whatever-it-was happened.

Whatever it is, it's almost certainly a sad story.

Walt said:
Twisted said:

Anyone know anything?

No, but I'm curious - I was a member there some time ago, and I would be interested.  At the time I was there, it was a real blessing.

Who is pastoring the church now?

I was a member at Fairfax Baptist Temple from 2001 to 2004 before we moved from Virginia. I remember well when Bud announced his upcoming retirement and the deacons recommended his son Troy take over( my first of three experiences with family run church businesses). I still get the FBT Trumpet newsletter and recall this issue when it stated Troy stepped down for "family reasons"...now I wish I had not thrown it out.  I joked with my wife that "family reasons" was baptist speak for cheating, but I do not know for sure...Troy's last sermon available on the FBT ministries website was 1-3-16. After that, appears Bud had to return to preach and keep the business going. The new preacher is an FBT man Todd Abbey.

TheRealJonStewart said:
I think his wife cheated on him.

I don' know him or his wife but I really wish we wouldn't do this.

If true we have know Idea how God may be working on their marriage and reconciling them.  One can at least hope.

TidesofTruth said:
TheRealJonStewart said:

If true we have know Idea how God may be working on their marriage and reconciling them.  One can at least hope.

Do what? Find out what happened? People in leadership should be held accountable.

TheRealJonStewart said:
TidesofTruth said:
TheRealJonStewart said:

Do what? Find out what happened? People in leadership should be held accountable.

Exactly!  Troy was the pastor of the church. If he committed a sin, the Scripture commands that it be told to the people.  And it wasn't just local church, either - they had a ministry beyond their local church. It is their responsibility to be clear about this.

Having said that, if it was his wife who (just for example) committed adultery or decided to divorce him, it isn't quite as clear that it should be publicly said.  Cover-ups just cause more problems.

If it was his wife, I suspect that he was disobedient to the commands of the Bible.  A pastor's wife is one of the hardest jobs of all.

Walt said:
TheRealJonStewart said:
TidesofTruth said:
TheRealJonStewart said:

Exactly!  Troy was the pastor of the church. If he committed a sin, the Scripture commands that it be told to the people.  And it wasn't just local church, either - they had a ministry beyond their local church. It is their responsibility to be clear about this.

Having said that, if it was his wife who (just for example) committed adultery or decided to divorce him, it isn't quite as clear that it should be publicly said.  Cover-ups just cause more problems.

If it was his wife, I suspect that he was disobedient to the commands of the Bible.  A pastor's wife is one of the hardest jobs of all.

Agree with your first part. COMPLETELY DISAGREE with second part, you do realize that I can twist that and use it to defend Jack Schaap right?

TheRealJonStewart said:
Walt said:
TheRealJonStewart said:
TidesofTruth said:
TheRealJonStewart said:

Agree with your first part. COMPLETELY DISAGREE with second part, you do realize that I can twist that and use it to defend Jack Schaap right?

Well, perhaps you can educate me then.  It is very likely that I didn't express myself well.  If his wife divorced him, that is sin on her part. I'm just saying that he is not blameless, even if she is the one who got the divorce. A husband following the commands of the Bible usually won't have a wife leave him.  However, I have never yet met the man who fully followed the commands of the Bible in regard to his wife (or, for that matter, in any regard).

If my marriage holds together for 50 years, it is because of the blessings of God and in spite of my sins, and in spite of my wife's sins.  In my experience, we tend to blame a split on one person or the other.

I may have sounded as if I were excusing her sin, which I am not, so I add the above expanded explanation.

If I'm still wrong, please provide additional instruction.

Walt said:
TheRealJonStewart said:
Walt said:
TheRealJonStewart said:
TidesofTruth said:
TheRealJonStewart said:

Well, perhaps you can educate me then.  It is very likely that I didn't express myself well.  If his wife divorced him, that is sin on her part. I'm just saying that he is not blameless, even if she is the one who got the divorce. A husband following the commands of the Bible usually won't have a wife leave him.  However, I have never yet met the man who fully followed the commands of the Bible in regard to his wife (or, for that matter, in any regard).

If my marriage holds together for 50 years, it is because of the blessings of God and in spite of my sins, and in spite of my wife's sins.  In my experience, we tend to blame a split on one person or the other.

I may have sounded as if I were excusing her sin, which I am not, so I add the above expanded explanation.

we're not dealing with divorce here, we're dealing with adultery/cheating. I guess Cindy Hyles wasn't following the Bible when Jack cheated on her with a 16 year old.... and by the way, we can argue whether or not divorce is a sin - depending on the circumstances.

TheRealJonStewart said:
Walt said:
TheRealJonStewart said:
Walt said:
TheRealJonStewart said:
TidesofTruth said:
TheRealJonStewart said:

we're not dealing with divorce here, we're dealing with adultery/cheating. I guess Cindy Hyles wasn't following the Bible when Jack cheated on her with a 16 year old.... and by the way, we can argue whether or not divorce is a sin - depending on the circumstances.

OK, I get where you're coming from now.  Jack's cheating on her is his own sin, and he cannot blame Cindy for his sin. Having said that, I know from the Bible that no one is perfect, and therefore Cindy made mistakes in her marriage.  Does that excuse Jack? No.

This is similar to the age-old question of "if a child goes astray, is it the parent's fault?"  Yes, in that they certainly made errors; no in that the child has free will and made his own choices.  I've heard preaching that erred on both sides, where the parents are beat up and basically told that if they had been spiritual, their child would not have strayed.

Finally, re divorce, I do think there is one clear time when divorce is allowed and a Christian is free to remarry. In my opinion, there is a possible second, but it isn't as clear as the first one.

Twisted said:

Anyone know anything?

Late to the party but.

I was at FBT when it happened. Becky divorced Troy on grounds of physical abuse. He stepped down and moved away, as did she.

Baptistburned said:
Twisted said:

Anyone know anything?

Late to the party but.

I was at FBT when it happened. Becky divorced Troy on grounds of physical abuse. He stepped down and moved away, as did she.

Welcome, Burned!

Thanks for the info.

Baptistburned said:
Twisted said:

Anyone know anything?

Late to the party but.

I know the kids, that is not what I heard. Becky cheated on Troy and when confronted, it had to be dealt with. Physical abuse part may be true but I don't think it is the main reason for the separation.

I have known Becky for over 40 years, and I know she never cheated on Troy. She has recently been brave enough to tell her story. If you are interested in knowing the TRUTH, listen to this podcast: Father-in-Law/Pastor/Rapist.