Bud Calvert's Son

Wow, having been a member of this church during some of this time period, I am shocked to hear Becky's side of the story...well considering what I have seen at other IFB churches I have attended, this is par for the course I suppose.

Where is this article you guys are talking about? As for the podcast, I'm glad that she was able to bring her side of the situation as I've heard only the other side which accused of her of having an affair - which may still very be true but now that she has come forward should be questioned especially if what she said about Troy Calvert is all true.
There was no affair by either spouse. I was at the church meeting when Troy got up and resigned the church. No claim was made as to affair by either party. With respect to Bud Calvert, he was raping his daughter n law Becky for many years. Currently he is under investigation and could very well end up in prison over millions looting through secret church accounts. Mary (Bud’s wife ) was aware of the rapes and never said anything. Bud was in fact her second husband but that was no secret with in the church. Many of us knew that. The church has a new pastor that is probably the most boring speaker to ever hit the pulpit. His wife is a gossiping, backbiting witch and the church is shrinking again. Around 200 in a worship service, 35-50 on a Wednesday or Sunday night, 70 kids downstairs. Claims of the church being a church of 1,000 at one time are false. Bud always lied to brag about “ his “ church. It was never more than around 600 and the Christian school has 298 kids enrolled. Of the churches he planted only 3 have really amounted to much. Most are pastored by unqualified men that went to FBT’s in house “ college”. One is a known adulterous wife beater. His wife finally divorced him. Bud has more victims and much more will be coming out.

There was no affair by either spouse. I was at the church meeting when Troy got up and resigned the church. No claim was made as to affair by either party. With respect to Bud Calvert, he was raping his daughter n law Becky for many years. Currently he is under investigation and could very well end up in prison over millions looting through secret church accounts. Mary (Bud’s wife ) was aware of the rapes and never said anything. Bud was in fact her second husband but that was no secret with in the church. Many of us knew that. The church has a new pastor that is probably the most boring speaker to ever hit the pulpit. His wife is a gossiping, backbiting witch and the church is shrinking again. Around 200 in a worship service, 35-50 on a Wednesday or Sunday night, 70 kids downstairs. Claims of the church being a church of 1,000 at one time are false. Bud always lied to brag about “ his “ church. It was never more than around 600 and the Christian school has 298 kids enrolled. Of the churches he planted only 3 have really amounted to much. Most are pastored by unqualified men that went to FBT’s in house “ college”. One is a known adulterous wife beater. His wife finally divorced him. Bud has more victims and much more will be coming out.

I'm sad to hear all of this; I attended there for a brief time, and some of the members were a great blessing to me, and I generally enjoyed my time there.

Can’t believe all you hear or read, that’s from forty plus years being saved, the devil no doubt is involved

I was a member of FBT in the early '90's when Becky and Troy were newlyweds. I immediately knew Troy married waaaay above his paygrade. He's a total Beta, Becky could have and should have done so much better. Their marriage was arranged by their fathers. Bud met her dad at a missions conference, and more or less said "Our kids should marry each other." No sooner was it said, than it was done. Poor Becky.
I have personal knowledge that Bud's sister, Marge Guy is also a lying shrew. She personally interfered in my life twice, causing deep heartache and bitterness. I didn't learn of this until a number of years later. You know how you walk around bewildered for years at how something turned out the way it did, then one day, a critical piece of information floats in front of you and all the pieces suddenly fall into place? Yep. Eureka! Epiphany! The truth has a way of coming out.
Years later, we considered enrolling our kids at the Academy. During our orientation, the administrator said "We ARE Christ's remnant in Northern Virginia." My wife immediately kicked me because she knew I was getting ready to say "In an area populated by well over 3 million people, you mean to tell me that the people in THIS building are the only Christians?" We rolled our eyes and walked out, and never looked back.
The arrogance, deceit, hypocrisy, and corruption at FBT are staggering. I repent of the day I ever went within 10 miles of the place.
FBT was a total cult of personality around the Calverts. What a shame.
Knowing what I know of the people involved, it's a rebuttable presumption that Becky is telling the truth.

Yeah, the "college" was largely Biblical illiterates with more money than sense, which FBT was more than glad to take from them.
I probably know the man to whom you are referring. At FBT, there was alot of sound and fury, but not much else.

I have read Becky’s account, and then Troy’s and Bud’s. I went to a competing Christian school, and also went to FBT for a short while. Here’s my take:
It was difficult learning what happened. But having gone through IBT churches since a teenager, it’s no longer surprising when I learn these things because I found that there’s no protective shield from God. A girl from my high school got pregnant, and she had what seemed like good Christian parents. These things happen just the same to church members like the rest of people. So that was a big eye opener I had to process, that the presumption of innocence and purity was a wishful story book than reality. In my Christian school, hardly any returned after graduating because it’s all so legalistic and the sermons are always geared towards ripping you apart as a person, that you must always be thinking of your sins while simultaneously praising God that they’ve been washed away. For example, I am a very guilt conscious person, high anxiety, and I once sat through Troy’s sermon and he made the congregation feel guilty if we didn’t have the desire to always be at church. “You should always want to be here.” So, it wasn’t enough if you were always there. If you didn’t ALWAYS want to be there, it might be sin on your part. Well, ridiculous. Life can’t always be nonstop worship, self-flagellation, and eating unleavened bread and believing your sinful if your mind gets bored and unhappy from the lack of stimulation. And then this other time, I sat through a Sunday school and the teacher’s sermon was about depression and how it’s impossible to be depressed if you’re a Christian. Well, I was very depressed during this phase of my life, and so I knew it was simply untrue and why give a demon anyway for something we’re supposedly immune from? I have a lot more stories than just these two examples, but the point is, the IBT style at FBT and elsewhere are very legalistic and can drive a lot of people crazy with the added requirements on top of the Bible.

Okay, getting back to the topic. Reading Becky’s account, I could see where she was coming from regarding the IBT method. However, I was disappointed that she threw in a ton of other personal things than just the big issue in the room: the rape allegation. This is a serious allegation, and I was surprised that it wasn’t at the top of her 16 page letter, and that only a few paragraphs addressed it. It was very vague and didn’t leave me a sense that it was her primary reason for divorce. When Tara Reade described what Joe Biden did, she described in detail to at least be clear that she can recall a specific time, place, and method used against her. With Becky, I wasn’t sure if she meant rape like how woke people define it, of it Bud truly raped her. But she should have focused everything on this, as of course this would be grounds for divorce if your husband does nothing about it. Instead, she even went into personal things like Troy having problems with the M word. Well, all guys do, so sorry to say that but it’s just true, and there’s no need to share embarrassing things like that. There’s also no need to be angry if people in church would like your attire to be more appropriate. I’ve seen Becky play the piano, and I have no problem with women dressing how she did, but her skirt was very high one time and I could EASILY see how people sitting in the pews would object. I never said anything, but when the church code calls for skirts no higher than between the knees and ankles, what more do you expect?
Now.. As for Bud, I do think he should have taken that polygraph and DNA test. I don’t buy that it was a no-win situation. Innocent people would be inclined to jump at the opportunity, I’d think. Think about it, if you pass, it makes her look like a liar and you can add to your testimony that you passed both blood and polygraph tests. Instant benefit of the doubt. But no? Why? Come on, Bud, that’s ridiculous.
I feel bad for the kids, particularly Nate. To be told that your grandfather might be your father is very traumatizing. If Becky is lying, what an awful thing. I checked his Twitter account to see how he’s doing, and he seems happy, but I did notice one of his tweets was against fundamentalism. And that’s the pattern I’ve seen recurring since I graduated high school long ago. People leave IBT churches because the fundamentalism leads to mental abuse, and it takes a while for the kids to let go of the resentment and feelings of betrayal. They’ve been raised to have a puritan mindset and a hope that God will give them a protective shield from sin, but it’s just not the reality. It’s a daily challenge, but fundamentalism is not the way to meet it.

Black Bear, you're right on. My experience was very similar to yours. You summed it up very well.

Black Bear, you're right on. My experience was very similar to yours. You summed it up very well.
Tried to listen to her story on Preacher Boy's Podcast, link seems disabled... anyone know where to find this?