Can they really be that stupid?

RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Then there was the time when the Fire Chief came into the station livid. He met with the Police Chief and together they went to the college and got things worked out. Found out that the Fire Chief went to the campus to do a fire safety inspection but the Orange Coats stopped him at the door. They refused to let him in. He demanded to see the head of security and the OC said he would have to get a name first. Otherwise he would have to have a warrant to enter the building.

Police Chief made the appropriate calls and the inspection was done later that day. :)

His photo may have been in "the book".  :)

The law states that police need a warrant to search private property. Early in the host program a host allowed Merrilville police onto campus to search a dorm room without a warrant. Hosts were then informed that police demanding searches needed to produce a warrant. In this instance HAC was simply excercising their constitutional rights.

While SC has a good reputation for his stories, this one is odd. HAC did not get fire protection from Schererville. It came from Lake Station. SC might be talking about the Lake County inspector. Also about this time period Vic Nischick and his friends were trying to send the fire marshalls onto HAC as often as he could. After multiple inspections turned up little, the inspectors resumed a regular inspection schedule. One saturday I was the host supervisor and the fire chief came to inspect. He was allowed to look at what he wanted and he left.

Clyde Wolfe worked very hard over the years to build a good relationship with local police depts. While we laugh at SC's stories the truth is that if an incident occured at FBC, Hammond police would accept the signed report of an HAC security guard no questions asked. Also HAC security used to have shooting competitions with local depts.

If a security guard waved his gun at a child Clyde Wolfe would have fired him that day.

Tennessean said:
If a security guard waved his gun at a child Clyde Wolfe would have fired him that day.

I don't think he did.  barney got another chance.

Tennessean said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Then there was the time when the Fire Chief came into the station livid. He met with the Police Chief and together they went to the college and got things worked out. Found out that the Fire Chief went to the campus to do a fire safety inspection but the Orange Coats stopped him at the door. They refused to let him in. He demanded to see the head of security and the OC said he would have to get a name first. Otherwise he would have to have a warrant to enter the building.

Police Chief made the appropriate calls and the inspection was done later that day. :)

The law states that police need a warrant to search private property. Early in the host program a host allowed Merrilville police onto campus to search a dorm room without a warrant. Hosts were then informed that police demanding searches needed to produce a warrant. In this instance HAC was simply excercising their constitutional rights.

While SC has a good reputation for his stories, this one is odd. HAC did not get fire protection from Schererville. It came from Lake Station. SC might be talking about the Lake County inspector. Also about this time period Vic Nischick and his friends were trying to send the fire marshalls onto HAC as often as he could. After multiple inspections turned up little, the inspectors resumed a regular inspection schedule. One saturday I was the host supervisor and the fire chief came to inspect. He was allowed to look at what he wanted and he left.

Clyde Wolfe worked very hard over the years to build a good relationship with local police depts. While we laugh at SC's stories the truth is that if an incident occured at FBC, Hammond police would accept the signed report of an HAC security guard no questions asked. Also HAC security used to have shooting competitions with local depts.

Not Lake Station but,
Lake Hills Volunteer Fire Department
9105 West 85th Avenue
Schererville, IN 46375
Phone: (219) 365-3340

is the Fire Department that is paid to provide fire protection to the college property.

Now the college property is not in Crown Point or Schererville but is in unincorporated Lake County Indiana.

May have been the Lake Hills chief that did the inspection or the state fire marshall.

Binaca Chugger said:
Tennessean said:

I don't think he did.  barney got another chance.

They did give out Barney awards at the Security Christmas Banquet.

bgwilkinson said:
Tennessean said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:

Not Lake Station but,
9105 West 85th Avenue
Schererville, IN 46375

is the Fire Department that is paid to provide fire protection to the college property.

Now the college property is not in Crown Point or Schererville but is in unincorporated Lake County Indiana.

May have been the Lake Hills chief that did the inspection or the state fire marshall.

My guess is things could go bad in a hurry if you refused admittance to a State Fire Marshal.

Tennessean said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:

I do recall the Fire Chief coming into the station about the situation. If there was a county inspector involved, then I guess they could have met at the campus. Yes, it was around '89 - '90 as that was the year-and-a-half I worked there.

bgwilkinson said:
Tennessean said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:

Not Lake Station but,
9105 West 85th Avenue
Schererville, IN 46375

You are right, it was Lake Hills. And I wasn't doubting SC's story. The fire chief probably did come into the Schererville police dept hq and complain about being denied access. My point is that Clyde Wolfe worked very hard to foster good relations with the communities police and fire depts. And the fire chief I met was professional & courteous and we were professional and courteous to him.

Maybe some day we'll have to tell some Barney stories.

Tennessean said:
bgwilkinson said:
Tennessean said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:

Not Lake Station but,
9105 West 85th Avenue
Schererville, IN 46375

You are right, it was Lake Hills. And I wasn't doubting SC's story. The fire chief probably did come into the Schererville police dept hq and complain about being denied access. My point is that Clyde Wolfe worked very hard to foster good relations with the communities police and fire depts. And the fire chief I met was professional & courteous and we were professional and courteous to him.

Maybe some day we'll have to tell some Barney stories.

It seems there might have been some for discharging a firearm in a reckless manner, ie blowing a hole in the dashboard of a squad car.

Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:
Baptist City Holdout said:
The Good DH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, he is a character, but with a heart of gold!!!!!!!

A True Hacker with a heart of gold.

Yep. I remember he sold me his baseball card collection for $40. One of the best deals I've ever made!

He also had a "Sword of the Lord" collection, all sorted by categories.  Very intricate and detailed; he could talk for hours on the Sword collection.

On a sunday evening someone was sitting at the desk and shot out a window downstairs. I think that was Steve Walker ...Clyde did work hard with other counties to work together...we did dog training with the police...that's how we started getting to own Dobermans...

Sherryh said:
On a sunday evening someone was sitting at the desk and shot out a window downstairs. I think that was Steve Walker ...
I do not know if it was the same incident but during the late 70's I was standing next to the desk where HACker security sat in the hallway across from the courtyard (hallways on 2 sides). I was talking with another guy & noticed a window that was rather badly patched up. I stood in front of the desk where I knew the security guys sat & eyeballed the wounded window & followed the path the bullet across the courtyard where it broke windows on both sides of the hallway (to more bad patch jobs) on the girls dorm side. We went outside, followed the path again & found where the bullet hit & burrowed into the ground right next to a dorm window. I knew that one of the Barney's had been playing with a weapon.......burned a bullet.

Clyde asked me one time if I thought his security guys were a joke...........of course, except for the FFF, I don't normally answer dumb questions.

fishinnut said:
Sherryh said:
On a sunday evening someone was sitting at the desk and shot out a window downstairs. I think that was Steve Walker ...
I do not know if it was the same incident but during the late 70's I was standing next to the desk where HACker security sat in the hallway across from the courtyard (hallways on 2 sides). I was talking with another guy & noticed a window that was rather badly patched up. I stood in front of the desk where I knew the security guys sat & eyeballed the wounded window & followed the path the bullet across the courtyard where it broke windows on both sides of the hallway (to more bad patch jobs) on the girls dorm side. We went outside, followed the path again & found where the bullet hit & burrowed into the ground right next to a dorm window. I knew that one of the Barney's had been playing with a weapon.......burned a bullet.

Clyde asked me one time if I thought his security guys were a joke...........of course, except for the FFF, I don't normally answer dumb questions.

In the 80s, I was sitting in the back of a chapel service. Suddenly there was a POP and Carpenter ran to the back, grabbed a student by the collar and coerced him out. As it turns out, the guy had a gun in the chapel and it went off. Ricocheted off the pew in front of him (hit the leg, thank God!) and it imbedded itself in the back wall. Never saw the student again.

My dad tells of the time he was a student and there was a classmate of his that would always fall asleep. Waddell the Bible teacher, one day brought in a special briefcase to take care of the issue. As usual, the student fell asleep so he opened up the case, assembled a power rifle minus the ammo and tapped the sleeping student's desk until he woke up, facing the weapon. My dad said he never fell asleep again!

Oh, and Waddell eventually made one of those crime TV shows (America's Most Wanted?) and spent prison time for gun running.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue2/1997/02/04/125099-preacher-convicted-of-weapons-charges-is-freed/

Smellin Coffee said:
In the 80s, I was sitting in the back of a chapel service. Suddenly there was a POP and Carpenter ran to the back, grabbed a student by the collar and coerced him out. As it turns out, the guy had a gun in the chapel and it went off. Ricocheted off the pew in front of him (hit the leg, thank God!) and it imbedded itself in the back wall. Never saw the student again.

My dad tells of the time he was a student and there was a classmate of his that would always fall asleep. Waddell the Bible teacher, one day brought in a special briefcase to take care of the issue. As usual, the student fell asleep so he opened up the case, assembled a power rifle minus the ammo and tapped the sleeping student's desk until he woke up, facing the weapon. My dad said he never fell asleep again!

Oh, and Waddell eventually made one of those crime TV shows (America's Most Wanted?) and spent prison time for gun running.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue2/1997/02/04/125099-preacher-convicted-of-weapons-charges-is-freed/

My favorite sleeping in class story took place on the basement of Admin. Of course, the floors were just concrete. The class was songleading with Cuozzo and one particular guy would routinely settle himself in to sleep. Cuozzo tried hard to keep him awake but the guy wouldn't have it. Week after week the same thing. Finally, one dad the guy is propped up on his elbow sound asleep and Cuozzo had had it. He picked up the room's metal trash can and walked over to the guy's desk. Lifting it high over his head Cuozzo let it drop with a metallic crash onto that concrete floor. The guy woke up so violently he threw his desk entirely over sideways and went sprawling across the floor. Cuozzo didn't say a word; he just walked back to the platform and picked up teaching again...

:D

Tom Brennan said:
Smellin Coffee said:

My favorite sleeping in class story took place on the basement of Admin. Of course, the floors were just concrete. The class was songleading with Cuozzo and one particular guy would routinely settle himself in to sleep. Cuozzo tried hard to keep him awake but the guy wouldn't have it. Week after week the same thing. Finally, one dad the guy is propped up on his elbow sound asleep and Cuozzo had had it. He picked up the room's metal trash can and walked over to the guy's desk. Lifting it high over his head Cuozzo let it drop with a metallic crash onto that concrete floor. The guy woke up so violently he threw his desk entirely over sideways and went sprawling across the floor. Cuozzo didn't say a word; he just walked back to the platform and picked up teaching again...

:D
PRICELESS!
Was it me?
I forget, b/c I was probably sleeping anyway!

I would fall asleep in Dr. Paulson's physical science class almost everyday!!! We met after lunch in a tiny room next to the store.  I know he saw me, since it was a small class. He never said a word!

I knew a guy, white as sour cream, that went door knocking in Gary, trying to sell Kirby vacuum cleaners. He finally talked one guy into letting him do his demonstration and when he went back to his vehicle it had been stolen, and the guy at the door watched it happen and said nothing to him.

kaba said:
I would fall asleep in Dr. Paulson's physical science class almost everyday!!! We met after lunch in a tiny room next to the store.  I know he saw me, since it was a small class. He never said a word!

I fell asleep when Paulson passed me in the hallway. :)

RAIDER said:
kaba said:

Easily done!

kaba said:
RAIDER said:
kaba said:

Easily done!

Once again, character fails to be able to break through the HACkers need for charisma.  Mr. Paulson had lived on the mission field for so long.  He had great wisdom to share about Christianity and helping others know Christ.  Most HACkers missed it because the old fellow didn't have the charismatic charm of the blowhards with nothing to say. 

sad.

yes.  HACkers are really that stupid.

RAIDER said:
BiblePreacher said:
RAIDER said:
I don't remember who the student was, but one year at Pastor's School they paid a semester of a student's tuition for doing a skit.  It had to do with 3 or 4 people brushing their teeth, spitting the water in a cup, and passing it to the next person.  At the end this guy did the same and then drank the water.

Anyone else remember this?

Hi Raider. We were at HAC at the same time in the 80's. (I was 81-86.) I've been lurking in the background for a long time and finally registered today. I was on the old FFF.

I was in that group brushing our teeth in the Pastor's School skit. I think the one you are trying to remember is Don Harley. He was behind on his bill so it really came at exactly the right time.

BINGO!!  It was Don Harley.  That guy was a true, blue Hacker.  He lived at Baptist City and on laundry day he would bring his large duffel bag full of dirty clothes to main campus.  Because he was going to do his laundry later that day, he would carry it from class to class.

True blue HACKer or not, he probably saved my life one night.  Hubby was 'counseling' with Bro Hyles and I was sitting in the parking lot when 2 questionable characters headed for my car.  DH saw them and came and stood by the car until hubby came out.
I am grateful.