Champion Christian College - No surprises here!

RAIDER

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Champion Christian College
Uncategorized  No Responses ?
Dec 272015

by Clay Herrmann

CCC-2 1280w

National Park College is not the only institution of higher learning headquartered in Garland County, Arkansas. Founded a decade ago, Champion Christian College is located at 600 Garland Avenue in Hot Springs on a campus and grounds adjacent to Gospel Light Baptist Church.

Students moving on from high school who may not be interested in spending two or four years pursuing a pastoral calling or other church-related work may still find reason to spend a couple of semesters at Champion before moving on to other larger institutions, or before entering the workforce to pursue ?secular? careers.  Offerings include one-year certificate programs in Bible, Criminal Justice, Worship Leadership, Sports Management, and Management & Leadership. All of the one-year certificate programs include  3-semester hours of Old Testament Survey and 3-semester hours of New Testament Survey among the course requirements.

Current degrees offered include:

Pastoral Studies
    Church Administration
    Youth Ministry
    Missions ? Men
    Missions ? Ladies
    Elementary Christian Education
    Secondary Christian Education
    Music Ministry
    Christian Sports Management
    Associates of Church Office Administration

CCC earned 1280w

Today?s Champion Christian College was first established as Champion Baptist College in 2005 in affiliation with Gospel Light Baptist Church. High-energy CCC President and GLBC Pastor Eric Capaci?s vision for the school has been a persistent driving force for it?s initial inception and continuing development. Transitions in the last couple of years include a partnership with Central Baptist College in Conway that provides the benefit of accreditation for some of the course offerings and a name change from Champion Baptist College to Champion Christian College that removed the Baptist denominational label.  That name change potentially alienates some Baptists, but on the flip-side serves to welcome faculty, staff, and students who are Christian of other denominations, as well as others who embrace no denominational identity. Today the college?s faculty, staff, and student body reflects that increased diversity. The school also enjoys the involvement of a number of local government officials, business and professional leaders, and other community leaders who serve on an advisory council. The college is also currently engaged in the somewhat tedious process of seeking full accreditation through the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (TRACS).

Champion Christian College President Eric Capaci is Interviewed by Hot Springs Daily about the past, present, and future of the Hot Springs based institution.[/URL]

".....removed the Baptist denominational label.  That name change potentially alienates some Baptists, but on the flip-side serves to welcome faculty, staff, and students who are Christian of other denominations, as well as others who embrace no denominational identity. Today the college?s faculty, staff, and student body reflects that increased diversity."

All this in 10 years!

The changes are snowballing, but one could argue that HAC never had the word Baptist on its moniker.  But also, it's one thing to never have had the label but another to take it off.

16KJV11 said:
The changes are snowballing, but one could argue that HAC never had the word Baptist on its moniker.  But also, it's one thing to never have had the label but another to take it off.

I agree.  It's not as much about the name change as the reason for the change.  Ten years ago they set out to have a IFB Bible college to train young people to serve the Lord full time.  They were growing at a decent pace.  Many IFB churches were supporting Champion.  Capaci decided to change directions and thought that most would continue to support him.  Well, it didn't happen.  Many felt betrayed.  The college numbers began to drop and finances got very tight.  What you read in this article is now the way he feels he can build the college.

Capaci is the pastor of an IFB (for now) church.  They have a right to go whatever direction they want.  It is no surprise to those that have observed this the past few years.  It is amazing the changes that can happen in 10 years! 

Several years ago, I'd heard a rumor that they had opened  a Starbucks on campus. I knew then they would eventually remove Baptist from their name.

SMH

Institutions, like trees, grow in the direction they lean.

Ok now here is a question maybe someone can answer. Did they start to change after the recession hit in 2008?

My reason for asking is that for me personally, I had to make a lot of changes due to the type of business I am in. I also saw a lot of people have to completely change careers etc. when church and school finances hit a roadblock at this time. We had to adapt or die and personally, I am still on life support. I just wonder if that  was one of the reasons.

You mean like survival of the fittest?

I heard about that once before.  ;) ;)

910px-Charles_Darwin_seated_crop.jpg

bgwilkinson said:

No. Just survival. ;D And I am not saying anyone is right or wrong. Just wondering.

BALAAM said:
bgwilkinson said:

No. Just survival. ;D And I am not saying anyone is right or wrong. Just wondering.
Quit being so wishy washy you blockhead!

RAIDER said:
16KJV11 said:

I agree.  It's not as much about the name change as the reason for the change.  Ten years ago they set out to have a IFB Bible college to train young people to serve the Lord full time.  They were growing at a decent pace.  Many IFB churches were supporting Champion.  Capaci decided to change directions and thought that most would continue to support him.  Well, it didn't happen.  Many felt betrayed.  The college numbers began to drop and finances got very tight.  What you read in this article is now the way he feels he can build the college.

Capaci is the pastor of an IFB (for now) church.  They have a right to go whatever direction they want.  It is no surprise to those that have observed this the past fe w years.  It is amazing the changes that can happen in 10 years!

The other side of your reasoning would infer that Baptist Colleges that did not change would be thriving as to numbers of students and finances. And that doesn't appear to be true.

I do not know of this Pastor, church or school outside of the forum, but it just might be that he is part of the 'new' IFB's we've discussed here lately.
Good, bad, right, wrong...perhaps he/they are the future of IFB-dom.

patriotic said:
Several years ago, I'd heard a rumor that they had opened  a Starbucks on campus. I knew then they would eventually remove Baptist from their name.

SMH

I think the red cup was the motivation behind the name change. 

The ministry has been greatly struggling for over a decade.  They started to change a little, then students left and the recession hit at the same time.  I believe FBCH was involved in a bailout program for them.  Eric is trying to tie his horse to the Liberty wagon in efforts to gain a significance factor through them and thereby maintain their finances.  I am happy for every individual that is helped through that ministry, but recognize it for what it is.  Eric is going wherever the support is.

Maybe Eric should ask TTU how their shift to the left went. :-[

16KJV11 said:

I think the TTU shift is apples to oranges with the Champion situation. At TTU, they did try to follow the old path set by Dr Roberson. In fact, the alumni fought any effort to bring changes to the school...no matter how minor they were. Yet, that same alumni base did not support the school financially or any other way that I could see...they were only interested in fighting compromise (which to them was any change).

Outside of Chappell and Sexton, I don't know of any right leaning Bible College that is thriving...and I'm not certain those two are. It just could be that the Bible College model, to train IFBs to work in IFB ministry is not viable today.

I think these new IFB's simply see this and like all other generations before them know that change is simply a part of life. The problem is that to the IFB old paths, old guard any change is compromise. That's the view from where I stand, at least.

Tarheel Baptist said:
16KJV11 said:

I think the TTU shift is apples to oranges with the Champion situation. At TTU, they did try to follow the old path set by Dr Roberson. In fact, the alumni fought any effort to bring changes to the school...no matter how minor they were. Yet, that same alumni base did not support the school financially or any other way that I could see...they were only interested in fighting compromise (which to them was any change).

Outside of Chappell and Sexton, I don't know of any right leaning Bible College that is thriving...and I'm not certain those two are. It just could be that the Bible College model, to train IFBs to work in IFB ministry is not viable today.

I think these new IFB's simply see this and like all other generations before them know that change is simply a part of life. The problem is that to the IFB old paths, old guard any change is compromise. That's the view from where I stand, at least.
Or it might make me think of what my mother used to say: "If everyone else jumps off a cliff,  does that mean that you have to follow them?