church attendance

MrsRow

Elect
Reaction score
What scriptures do Pastors refer ppl to when telling them that they must attend church twice on Sunday and Wednesday night prayer meeting?  Who made those rules? Did it originate because Christ was crucified on Wednesday and arose on Sunday? 

Control freaks. I go once a week, on Sunday evening (which is our main service). And you can't guilt me into going if I'm not feeling well (including just being too tired), or if something else more important comes up.

Izdaari said:
Control freaks. I go once a week, on Sunday evening (which is our main service). And you can't guilt me into going if I'm not feeling well (including just being too tired), or if something else more important comes up.

Your concept of God is all messed up.

Tom Brennan said:
Izdaari said:

No. Your concept of church attendance is all messed up?

I noticed that you married the concept of attending church with the concept of God.....a common mistake made by a hyperIFB like yourself. Its so very SMALL of you to have such a narrow focus of God's own children. Its not your "4 and no more".

MrsRow said:
What scriptures do Pastors refer ppl to when telling them that they must attend church twice on Sunday and Wednesday night prayer meeting?

I've only ever seen Hebrews 10:25 misinterpreted to mean that if you aren't present every time the doors are open, you are forsaking the fellowship of the saints.

(The context isn't about believers who didn't come to church as often as the author would have liked; it was about Jewish Christians who were feeling the pressure of persecution and seriously considering leaving the faith outright.)

Ransom said:
MrsRow said:
What scriptures do Pastors refer ppl to when telling them that they must attend church twice on Sunday and Wednesday night prayer meeting?

I've only ever seen Hebrews 10:25 misinterpreted to mean that if you aren't present every time the doors are open, you are forsaking the fellowship of the saints.

(The context isn't about believers who didn't come to church as often as the author would have liked; it was about Jewish Christians who were feeling the pressure of persecution and seriously considering leaving the faith outright.)

There are at least a couple people here who misinterpret that as a command and go medieval on your buttocks if you're not a regular attendee.  I've had my buttocks gotten medieval on several times. 

The Rogue Tomato said:
There are at least a couple people here who misinterpret that as a command and go medieval on your buttocks if you're not a regular attendee.

They're welcome to try, if their exegetical chops are up to it.

In a dark world, the Church house is a refuge. Pastor teaches us the Bible. The right hand of fellowship is given. Children learn to fear God. Wednesday night is like a battery recharge.

That said - I don't think the Bible says SUN AM/PM and WED PM

But, it does say "so much the more"

The only service that is hard for me is Sunday PM - I almost wish it could be SUN AM, TUES PM, THURS PM ... but, that is just me.

Timothy said:
In a dark world, the Church house is a refuge. Pastor teaches us the Bible. The right hand of fellowship is given. Children learn to fear God. Wednesday night is like a battery recharge.

The only service that is hard for me is Sunday PM - I almost wish it could be SUN AM, TUES PM, THURS PM ... but, that is just me.

Christ is your "RECHARGE". Not a church service.

This is many people problems. They only way you judge anything is through the lense of local church attendance. You have substituted such nonsense to the point you pin GOD down to meeting a few times a week.... .WHEN IS HIS WITH YOU ALWAYS.

I don't have to go to church multiple times a week, I get to be with those who Christ loves, teaches, edifies, and nourishes multiple times a week.  I often hear guys joke about not retiring because either they don't want to be home as much and have to be around their wife more, or the other way around.  It's obvious this is a wrong model of marriage and love, just as those who look to get away from being with Christ's body in worship is a terrible model for demonstrating their love of the things of Christ.

Eph 5:28  So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
Eph 5:29  For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:

christundivided said:
Timothy said:

This is many people problems. They only way you judge anything is through the lense of local church attendance. You have substituted such nonsense to the point you pin GOD down to meeting a few times a week.... .WHEN IS HIS WITH YOU ALWAYS.

AMEN!!

:)

christundivided said:
Timothy said:

If he is with you always (and He is), and this is the rationale for not needing to meet with the body of Christ and submit to His spiritually appointed earthly authority, then why do you ever need to be with Christ's people?

As Amy Farrah Fowler once said in an episode of The Big Bang Theory, "While I don’t object to the concept of a deity, I’m baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance."

:D

( just trying to inject a little humor into the discussion. carry on )

Tom Brennan said:
Izdaari said:

Church isn't God.

I think that the subject of leaders who brow beat people into church attendance is moot to this forum....in today's church culture they are the extreme minority....speaking of which, did I ever mention I once owned a three legged cow?
:)

ALAYMAN said:
I don't have to go to church multiple times a week, I get to be with those who Christ loves, teaches, edifies, and nourishes multiple times a week.  I often hear guys joke about not retiring because either they don't want to be home as much and have to be around their wife more, or the other way around.  It's obvious this is a wrong model of marriage and love, just as those who look to get away from being with Christ's body in worship is a terrible model for demonstrating their love of the things of Christ.

Eph 5:28  So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
Eph 5:29  For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:

While I don't disagree I will say that your analogy breaks down quickly. We go home to meet our wives. Going is not necessary to meeting God. Again the church is not God.

Church attendance level is a limited spiritual measure. There are plenty of other things that can indicate spiritual issues. In fact those issues can coexist with heavy church attendance. Better to have good relationships and be able to follow the Spirit as He reveals needs within the body. Rules in place of discernment is a fools game.

I don't have to go to church...I get to go to church.

I look forward to every service with anticipation. I feel sorry for those who look at it as a duty.

wtyson said:
I don't have to go to church...I get to go to church.

I look forward to every service with anticipation. I feel sorry for those who look at it as a duty.

I agree. Wouldn't it be nice if preachers would quit telling people it is a duty?

ALAYMAN said:
christundivided said:
Timothy said:

If he is with you always (and He is), and this is the rationale for not needing to meet with the body of Christ and submit to His spiritually appointed earthly authority, then why do you ever need to be with Christ's people?

NO.... I don't have to meet God's people 3 times a week...

and NO... I don't have to submit to any church appointed authority. There is no such thing as local church authority that extends into defining my church attendance. I have absolute no fear of your powerless attempt to define such a standard that's has no standing in my life. Authority to you.... is nothing more than standing around claiming God said this and God said that. REAL authority does something about it.

If you want to display your really authority.... PUNISH ME FOR NOT ATTENDING CHURCH 3 TIMES A WEEK..... EVERY WEEK. Show me just how much authority you have or your pastor has or anyone you know. If God be for me.... IT doesn't matter who's against me. ;)

Timothy said:

It means it is so much the more important, not so much the more frequently.

Context is your friend.