church attendance

The Rogue Tomato said:
subllibrm said:
MrsRow said:
Ransom this is EXACTLY how i always felt when we'd be getting scolded during preaching hour for not being as excited as we would be at sports events.  I found it odd that a total non spiritual event was being compared to spiritual and that we were being rebuked because we weren't acting like sports fans at a football game while in church.  I think just to make the Pastor happy, the occasional guy would hold up his bible and get up and run around sometimes, weird times.

Cheerleaders down front would be a nice touch. And don't forget the concessions stand!  ;D

Also, the greeters who hand you a program should shout, "Programs! Programs! Can't see the show without a program!"

PEEEEEEAnuts - Pop corn! Getcher Peanuts and popcorn!

And start with the national anthem and have a fly over!!!! Whoo hoo! I am getting out my foam finger and going to CHURCH!!!! He Shouts! He SCOOOOORES!!!!!!

We are going to show those Methodists this week, I'm telling you what. That mamby pamby robe wearing "minster" couldn't preach his way out a wet paper bag. Got to talk some church SMACK before the big Sunday sermon showdown! Gimme a "P"!  Gimme an "A"! Gimme an "S"! Gimme a "T"! Gimme an "O"! Gimme an "R"! PASTOR, PASTOR, PASTOR!!!! And the crowd goes wild!

And commentators too!

"Well, Bret I have to say after the slow start it seems Brother Smith has really picked up momentum here in the second half"

"I think so too Jim. It will be interesting to see if he can bring it home in time. There won't be a lot of seats left at Golden Corral if this drags into overtime."

"Absolutely Bret, too much longer and he may have to cut it short to get tot he altar call.  I know he has been focused this week in preparation. He needs to get that application point in or risk losing the whole thing. But clock management has never been his strength."

"At this point it doesn't look good. Jim, we may be facing a long line in the McDonald's drive through if this keeps up."

"Bret, I see deacon Johnson giving him some sort of sign. Hopefully this was the wrap it up sign. A good staff on the sideline is critical in cases like this."

. ;D

if you look at it this way however, "One of Pastor ______ 's faults was that he wanted his members to be more excited about coming to church."  It doesn't sound so bad really.

subllibrm said:
Would you prefer manipulate/guilt them into attending? Three to thrive is a manipulative sales tactic.

And as long as we are putting words into each others posts, who suggested it was okay to abstain for frivolous reasons?

Just stick to addressing what I actually say and not what you wished I had said and we'll be all good. ;)

As far as "suggesting it is okay for frivolous reasons",  I never said you suggested such, but we're talking about the voluntary participation (or lack thereof) in the meetings of Christ's body.  People make excuses all the time, with frivolous reasons, to absent themselves.  Apathy is the primary cause IMNSHO.

MrsRow said:
if you look at it this way however, "One of Pastor ______ 's faults was that he wanted his members to be more excited about coming to church."  It doesn't sound so bad really.

I heard Alistair Begg make the analogy just the other day that a congregant should look forward to the meeting with God's people with the same sort of fervor that a golfer does to a T-time with his foursome at their favorite golf course.  Being a fellow golfer, I understood exactly what he meant.  If I am going to golf with my buddies at a nice course I get there early, early enough to putt on the practice green, maybe stroll through the clubhouse and see the pro-shop merchandise, and even hit a bucket of practice balls.  Our meeting with God's people should be something that evokes proper attitudes and emotions in anticipation of our gathering together to worship the King of Kings.

freelance_christian said:
MrsRow said:
What scriptures do Pastors refer ppl to when telling them that they must attend church twice on Sunday and Wednesday night prayer meeting?  Who made those rules? Did it originate because Christ was crucified on Wednesday and arose on Sunday?

My pastor doesn't even go to Sunday PM service or Wednesday service.

coffeewithjesus42.jpg