Church members mistreat homeless man -- their pastor

The Rogue Tomato

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
This actually doesn't surprise me one bit.

Pastor Jeremiah Steepek transformed himself into a homeless person and went to the 10,000 member church that he was to be introduced as the head pastor at that morning.

He walked around his soon to be church for 30 minutes while it was filling with people for service, only 3 people out of the 7-10,000 people said hello to him.

He asked people for change to buy food – no one in the church gave him change.

He went into the sanctuary to sit down in the front of the church and was asked by the ushers if he would please sit in the back.

He greeted people to be greeted back with stares and dirty looks, with people looking down on him and judging him.

http://truthseekerdaily.com/2013/09/church-members-mistreat-homeless-man-in-church-unaware-it-is-their-pastor-in-disguise/

admin said:

Sounds like his "church" is going to be one big outreach ministry instead of edifying the Body of Christ. 

I wonder if/how many people quit the church after this. 

Vandal said:

Not too surprised, but...

Despite differences in scale (Lyle spoke to 200 parishioners, Steepek supposedly addressed 10,000) and tone (Lyle entreated, Steepek admonished), the similarities between the stories are strong. We don't know who came up with fictional tale of "Pastor Jeremiah Steepek," or why, but given the timing of its appearance there seems little doubt they took their inspiration from the true story of Pastor Willie Lyle.

You know why this story is particularly believable to me?  I've been to a number of mega-churches and large churches where I was completely ignored week after week.  I can only think of one where I was immediately greeted like a brother, and treated like a special new guest.  That one was in Trenton, NJ. 

The Rogue Tomato said:
admin said:

Sounds like his "church" is going to be one big outreach ministry instead of edifying the Body of Christ. 

Seriously! What part of whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me don't you understand?

Back either before I got to TRBC(Thomas Road Baptist Church) someone posed as a bum in front of the church and was well treated by the members. I cannot remember if this was a writer or atheist who wanted to prove TRBC was a phony church. He found out it was not and wrote such.

Timothy said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
admin said:

Seriously! What part of whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me don't you understand?

The part that wasn't from the KJV!  ;D  (Relax, it's a joke)

My son attended Anderson University in Anderson, SC last year. Before he enrollled we went up and found a church we wanted him to attend. A fairly large church. He said he went to almost every service, and the only time someone talked to him or shook his hand was during the greet your neighbor around you time. I have been tempted to call the church and let them know they failed to help a young college student that was being faithful to church!! He was bringing his unsaved roommate, but he soon stopped coming partly due to the unwelcome behavior.

kaba said:
My son attended Anderson University in Anderson, SC last year. Before he enrollled we went up and found a church we wanted him to attend. A fairly large church. He said he went to almost every service, and the only time someone talked to him or shook his hand was during the greet your neighbor around you time. I have been tempted to call the church and let them know they failed to help a young college student that was being faithful to church!! He was bringing his unsaved roommate, but he soon stopped coming partly due to the unwelcome behavior.

I'm convinced many large churches are filled with 90% of the people dressing up and playing church. 

I was greatly disappointed in the church. My son loved the preaching but there was just something missing!

The Rogue Tomato said:
This actually doesn't surprise me one bit.

Pastor Jeremiah Steepek transformed himself into a homeless person and went to the 10,000 member church that he was to be introduced as the head pastor at that morning.

He walked around his soon to be church for 30 minutes while it was filling with people for service, only 3 people out of the 7-10,000 people said hello to him.

He asked people for change to buy food – no one in the church gave him change.

He went into the sanctuary to sit down in the front of the church and was asked by the ushers if he would please sit in the back.

He greeted people to be greeted back with stares and dirty looks, with people looking down on him and judging him.

http://truthseekerdaily.com/2013/09/church-members-mistreat-homeless-man-in-church-unaware-it-is-their-pastor-in-disguise/

Actually what doesn't surprise me one bit is that you got took in. Those last two lines should have put up a flag.

The welcome I was given at my church is one of the reasons why I felt God led me there.  Because when I attended church (as a guest) in my youth, it didn't seem like anyone cared if I came or not.  Granted, I was a just a kid, but still...it jaded me.

Whether good, bad or indifferent, as a general rule unfriendliness seems to happen at large churches. Expect it. It's been my experience though {and IMHO}, that it's the new person/persons that should be the aggressor at being friendly and usually things take care of them selves. But that's just me and what I did. I didn't meet any unfriendly churches. But that was some time back. Friends of mine moved and went to new church, a reformed church at that, and they weren't really taken in much. They decided to ask about four or five couples over at their house for some fellowship one evening and after that the church took them in like they were there for a long time. It's just as much {and more so} the "new person/persons" responsibility to be extra friendly, and if they are things seem to work out. But again that's just me.

aleshanee said:
Bob H said:
Whether good, bad or indifferent, as a general rule unfriendliness seems to happen at large churches. Expect it. It's been my experience though {and IMHO}, that it's the new person/persons that should be the aggressor at being friendly and usually things take care of them selves. But that's just me and what I did. I didn't meet any unfriendly churches. But that was some time back. Friends of mine moved and went to new church, a reformed church at that, and they weren't really taken in much. They decided to ask about four or five couples over at their house for some fellowship one evening and after that the church took them in like they were there for a long time. It's just as much {and more so} the "new person/persons" responsibility to be extra friendly, and if they are things seem to work out. But again that's just me.

i agree for the most part.... and i think sometimes churches can be so big and so busy that individual members may not even realize someone they see there has never been there before.... but still you would think that at least one person in the church would be an exception and make an effrot to greet new people... .... i think it;s sad nobody did that in the church kabas son went to......just one person might have made a world of difference....

but on the other side of that coin......  i also have feeling that some people would consider any church they went to be unfriendly unless it offered them a sunday school class to teach on their first visit and invited them to sit next to the pastor and interrupt him at leisure during the service....  ::)... but then that;s just me too... ;)..... i like being able to blend in and go unnoticed sometimes......  i;m the kind that usually hides during the turn around and hug somebody next to you part of the service.... and avoids the greeting line at the front door too........ but for those that like all that it is there ... and people here are very friendly....

I'm not and wasn't excusing unfriendliness, whether the church is large or small. It shouldn't happen. Usually at large churches though, they have two or three services and things like that can happen. Sometimes it's the nature of the beast. The old saying still stands, "the best of men are men at best". Maybe there should be some appointed to look out for such {specially college kids}. New folk should realize that things like that can happen.............. Go to a smaller church  :), usually their a bit more friendly.

I'm quite the introvert, but I do try to be friendly to people.  Simple eye contact, a smile and a cheery "hello" would have been all I needed to feel welcome.  When I first started attending my church, I sat in a different place each time.  The main floor of our auditorium is broken up into 3 sections with 2 aisles.  I attended morning services for 6 months (sitting in a different place each time) before people stopped welcoming me as a new visitor.  This really made a positive impression on me.

I do believe that we can be quite individual in what we consider "friendly and welcoming".  I'm not a big hugger, in that I do like to maintain my personal space with all but close friends.  But there are two certain gentlemen in my church...things are not quite right in my world if I don't get a hug, a kiss on the cheek and an "I love you" from them of a Sunday morning.  I'll ask that you pray for both of these gentlemen, both genuine men of God, both elderly and in failing health, and one currently battling cancer. 

I think church's have the responsibility to look out for new folk, but I also think Bob has a point.  Mature people know how to make friends, and usually with little effort, a church family will warm up to visitors.  I can't remember who told me this, I think it was a staff member from FBCH/Hyles who I hosted at my house, but they actually train their staff to spot new visitors, and offer to take them out, or have them in their home.  If I remember right, that expectation was communicated in such a way that the staffers better not neglect such hospitality, or else.

I am in jr church every Sunday so I don't get to meet new people Sunday morning unless they bring kids to my class.  However, I have a husband who is the friendliest person I have known.  Not only does he greet everyone, he remembers names and faces.  During hand-shaking he notices who the new people are sitting near and introduces them to the church folks around them and makes sure they feel at home. 

At evening service I am at the piano or organ before, during and after church so I really miss out on meeting people unless they are there early.

Since the thread is about a "homeless" man, we get our share since our church is located at an interstate exit on a busy highway.  They are usually directed to my husband because nothing seems to phase him when dealing with any kind of person...especially those who come in asking for money.  He's a hoot. 

ALAYMAN said:
I think it was a staff member from FBCH/Hyles who I hosted at my house, but they actually train their staff to spot new visitors, and offer to take them out, or have them in their home.  If I remember right, that expectation was communicated in such a way that the staffers better not neglect such hospitality, or else.

There's nothing like boss feared spirit filled staffers. 

What church is that? It strikes me as odd that the story would name the pastor, but not his church: Pastor Jeremiah Steepek, the new head pastor of High and Mighty Community Church, or whatever.

And why was the alleged Steepek pulling the same schtick in London two years ago?

I've heard a variation of this story on and off for several years. I question its voracity, though Snopes can't say for sure.