Church Service Length

4everfsu said:
Bob Gray of Trinity Baptist church in Jax would have his sermon last for a hour. Too long. Most ifbx preachers could have their sermons down to 20 to 30 minutes if they did not talk about themselves.

His preaching never seemed very long to me, but I often wished he would get into the pulpit earlier.

My husband and I had the 3-year-old nursery one Wed evening when Johnny Pope was preaching.  At 10 PM I asked my husband if it were possible that the parents of all 12 kids had forgotten to pick them up.  ;D

I don't mind long services if the Spirit is really moving and God is truly working in people's lives, but I've been to one church in particular where every service they would have so much special music, both before and after the sermon, that we'd be there for literally hours.  I enjoyed it because I was doing a lot of the playing and I only went there when I was visiting family up there, but I'm sure it would have gotten old if I lived there and it happened all the time.  I know that some people would say that it shouldn't be a big deal because people watch movies or do other things that can last two to three hours, but you can also get up and go to the restroom during that if you need to.  I always feel awkward if that happens during church.  There's just no way to walk out gracefully, especially when you're using a cane.  I guess my point is that it's great when a service is really powerful and it can run for a long time, but when preachers or others in a leadership role stretch it out just because they can and try to force it, that's not cool.

BALAAM said:
How many of you have ever sat through a few of Dennis Corle's preaching services?

He is a new level all by himself.  I have a friend that started a new church.  The church was 6 or 8 months old and they were meeting in a store front.  Dennis Corle was passing through the area and contacted the preacher about preaching on Sunday morning.  Of course, the preacher was excited.  Being a new church and working on getting new people to give the church a try, the pastor told Corle that he would get him up to preach as quick as possible.  He explained to Corle that the service needed to be done by 11:45.  Corle preached until 12:15.  Needless to say, my friend will never have Corle preach for him again.  Utter disrespect.

graceandtruth said:
People routinely sit through hour long blocks of instruction in all levels of school.  I am curious why some seem to think that on hour would be too long for biblical instruction when we readily accept that format in most other instructional environments.

I hear what you are saying.  If a preacher is interesting and can hold a crowds attention for this period of time, go for it.  Dr. Hyles could.  Unfortunately, the average preacher cannot do this.  Add to this 45 minutes of preliminary activity and 15 minutes of post-sermon activity, and you have created a very frustrating service.

JrChurch said:
4everfsu said:
Bob Gray of Trinity Baptist church in Jax would have his sermon last for a hour. Too long. Most ifbx preachers could have their sermons down to 20 to 30 minutes if they did not talk about themselves.

His preaching never seemed very long to me, but I often wished he would get into the pulpit earlier.

My husband and I had the 3-year-old nursery one Wed evening when Johnny Pope was preaching.  At 10 PM I asked my husband if it were possible that the parents of all 12 kids had forgotten to pick them up.  ;D

Getting in the pulpit earlier is the key.  Cut down on the preliminaries and post-preaching activities.

redeemed said:
I presently attend a church where the sermon is 10-15 minutes long.  I get more out of the current sermons because it's not the same tripe over and over again.

Although a 10 - 15 minute sermon sounds great :), I don't believe a pastor can feed his people on a regular basis in that amount of time.

graceandtruth said:
People routinely sit through hour long blocks of instruction in all levels of school.  I am curious why some seem to think that on hour would be too long for biblical instruction when we readily accept that format in most other instructional environments.

I just wanted to repost my question because I would like to understand what is driving the thought process that an hour sermon is too long.

graceandtruth said:
graceandtruth said:

I just wanted to repost my question because I would like to understand what is driving the thought process that an hour sermon is too long.

Personally, I don't believe an hour sermon is too long if the preacher is capable of preaching an hour sermon.  If a preacher is going to preach an hour sermon he needs to make time cuts in other areas of the service.  Dr. Hyles could preach for an hour - Dennis Corle cannot.

The church has a service? I though the church was simply an assembly? Who says that preaching or singing or eating or playing poker may or may not be a part of the assembly?

Smellin Coffee said:
The church has a service? I though the church was simply an assembly? Who says that preaching or singing or eating or playing poker may or may not be a part of the assembly?

Hello, Smellin!  :)

RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:

So you going to join me for poker on Sunday morning? :p

Sure thing, RAIDER. That will make me the "Strength" and you the "Beauty:!

Smellin Coffee said:
Sure thing, RAIDER. That will make me the "Strength" and you the "Beauty:!

I have officially moved from vapor to floods!!!

Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:

You are one of the Enemies of Soulwinning.... :D

Tarheel Baptist said:
Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:

You are one of the Enemies of Soulwinning.... :D

Ah, that statement brought tears to my eyes..."From Vapor to Floods"! :D

RAIDER said:
graceandtruth said:
graceandtruth said:

Personally, I don't believe an hour sermon is too long if the preacher is capable of preaching an hour sermon.  If a preacher is going to preach an hour sermon he needs to make time cuts in other areas of the service.  Dr. Hyles could preach for an hour - Dennis Corle cannot.

This ^^^

graceandtruth said:
graceandtruth said:

Aside from what RAIDER already said on the subject, it is hard to compare a sermon to a classroom lecture or a movie. When I attended college and sat through long classes, I did not have children with me to worry about. I have three children under 5 years old. Any service that stretches past 2 hours is torture to my whole family. 

Sunday morning services aren't too bad if they go long because of jr. church, etc. Any evening service that goes long can be more of a burden than a blessing (especially for my wife).

Before we had kids, I used to love long services. We attended a church where no service was under two hours, and I loved it.

I wouldn't take my three small children to a classroom lecture or the movies. They are not too badly behaved, but it is a constant battle when it involves 3 of them. At any given event, two of them will be good as gold....but at least one will be a pain.

Boomer said:
graceandtruth said:
graceandtruth said:

Aside from what RAIDER already said on the subject, it is hard to compare a sermon to a classroom lecture or a movie. When I attended college and sat through long classes, I did not have children with me to worry about. I have three children under 5 years old. Any service that stretches past 2 hours is torture to my whole family. 

Sunday morning services aren't too bad if they go long because of jr. church, etc. Any evening service that goes long can be more of a burden than a blessing (especially for my wife).

Before we had kids, I used to love long services. We attended a church where no service was under two hours, and I loved it.

I wouldn't take my three small children to a classroom lecture or the movies. They are not too badly behaved, but it is a constant battle when it involves 3 of them. At any given event, two of them will be good as gold....but at least one will be a pain.

I understand what you are saying.  I have 6 children that are 8 and under.  We don't usually have any problem with a 2 hour service.  Children are simply a part of our church so a crying baby or a child being brought to the restroom or a child playing on the floor with his/her toy or books or a little one napping on their blanket on the floor is not uncommon and is not a distraction and takes the pressure off parents to try to keep children silent.  I guess our church may be different from many in this area since I am the pastor and still have so many little ones that I have not forgotten what it is like to have little children.  We do have a nursery room but it is for parents to use and we do not have a Jr. church service.  I have even had little ones come on the platform to the dismay of their parents while I am preaching and I usually stop and talk to the little one or pick them up and let them be part of very nice illustration until the parent comes and gets them.  I then always assure the parents that if it had not been their little one it would have been one of mine.  Every parent that this has happened with has always seemed to be greatly relieved instead of embarrassed and the little ones like the preacher as well.  :D

RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:

You will have to please pardon my poetry...

It was Sunday morning “Poker time” at the Hybels Baptist Church,
All of the online HACker’s had labeled us as “The Rebellious Smirch”.

With Smellin’ taking the lead and dealing out the cards,
The HACkers continued their barrage of calling us retards.

As Raider looked at his cards and saw that wonderful Ace,
He could only think this is better than reading “Blue Denim and Lace”.

As Smellin philosophized about playing cards as his Christian duty,
Raider was wondering if that was a chapter in “Strength and Beauty”.

After Raider won the hand his eyes went from “Vapor to Floods”,
Smellin never really noticed as he was passing out the suds.