Church Service Length

when brother Schaap was the pastor and the services would just go on and on and on. The Lord's supper services always had at least a half hour explanation of what the Lord's supper meant, no not in reference to the "divine intimacy", but just what it actually meant. There was one Sunday night in particular and Balaam might remember this one but after the music, After the announcements, after everything else, then he spoke for an hour and 25 minutes and then the invitation. I know some look down on getting impatient with church service lengths as unspiritual but I think history has justified those of us who decided no longer to go on Sunday nights. So was it more spiritual to sit there through all his sermons or was it more spiritual to have some discernment and know something wasn't right? One dear member said after all of this had broken out that she sat through all the services each week and never suspicioned anything was wrong. I just had a hard time thinking that it never crossed their mind With his constant reference to sex and that if you didn't agree with him it was because you were stupid. These days I am of the frame of mind you can't say it with 30 minute of speaking maybe you just don't know what you're talking about. I've been to longer preaching services and sometimes they're really good and the Holy Spirit is evident but not always the case. And never when it's Dennis Corle LOL. I've referenced this before but there was a good number of good solid adults that would attend their adult Sunday school class and when it was over Would leave, some would stay for the morning church service but that would be about it.

Bravo said:
when brother Schaap was the pastor and the services would just go on and on and on. The Lord's supper services always had at least a half hour explanation of what the Lord's supper meant, no not in reference to the "divine intimacy", but just what it actually meant. There was one Sunday night in particular and Balaam might remember this one but after the music, After the announcements, after everything else, then he spoke for an hour and 25 minutes and then the invitation. I know some look down on getting impatient with church service lengths as unspiritual but I think history has justified those of us who decided no longer to go on Sunday nights. So was it more spiritual to sit there through all his sermons or was it more spiritual to have some discernment and know something wasn't right? One dear member said after all of this had broken out that she sat through all the services each week and never suspicioned anything was wrong. I just had a hard time thinking that it never crossed their mind With his constant reference to sex and that if you didn't agree with him it was because you were stupid. These days I am of the frame of mind you can't say it with 30 minute of speaking maybe you just don't know what you're talking about. I've been to longer preaching services and sometimes they're really good and the Holy Spirit is evident but not always the case. And never when it's Dennis Corle LOL. I've referenced this before but there was a good number of good solid adults that would attend their adult Sunday school class and when it was over Would leave, some would stay for the morning church service but that would be about it.
I started doing that in HS

Anishinabe

It must be just a cultural thing.  One hour sermons and 30 minute to one hour songs, choir, announcements, etc.  is just the norm in the African-American Baptist context.  In many instances there are no Jr. churches and no manned nurseries and yet this never seems to pose a problem.  Actually the opposite is true in that if a sermon lasts less than an hour it is assumed that the preacher did not prepare.  It is a rarity for any of the Sunday morning meetings in our area of the community to have ended before 1:00 or 1:30 pm.  I am the early bird at 12:45.  :D

[quote author=graceandtruth]I am the early bird at 12:45.  :D[/quote]

That's perfect. This way you miss the first wave of the lunch crowd rush because they got out earlier, but you are still earlier than your fellow churches so you get in before that wave. ;)

rsc2a said:
[quote author=graceandtruth]I am the early bird at 12:45.  :D

That's perfect. This way you miss the first wave of the lunch crowd rush because they got out earlier, but you are still earlier than your fellow churches so you get in before that wave. ;)
[/quote]

I love it when a plan comes together.  :D

graceandtruth said:
rsc2a said:

I love it when a plan comes together.  :D[/quote]

Services at our previous church were 9:30-11:00, and the church we currently attend starts at 5:00p so it works out well in both cases. :)

graceandtruth said:
rsc2a said:

I love it when a plan comes together.  :D
[/quote]

Throw in a 45-60 minute drive, SS starts at 9:30, 3hrs later getting out of church, then leave the house at 5ish and getting back after 9pm from the evening service. I don't know how cultural that is but if anyone wants to claim those time slots for themselves they are welcome to it.

graceandtruth said:
RAIDER said:
Bravo said:
Not a pretty picture!

Pretty normal with those I know outside of IFB churches.

In my area of the country it would be VERY abnormal.  Some of the Afro American churches may go long, but no others that I know.

RAIDER said:
graceandtruth said:
RAIDER said:
Bravo said:
Not a pretty picture!

In my area of the country it would be VERY abnormal.  Some of the Afro American churches may go long, but no others that I know.

That explains it.  :D  Most of the IFB churches I know of are not predominantly African-American and the other churches that I know are predominantly African-American.

graceandtruth said:
RAIDER said:
graceandtruth said:
RAIDER said:
Bravo said:
Not a pretty picture!

That explains it.  :D  Most of the IFB churches I know of are not predominantly African-American and the other churches that I know are predominantly African-American.

Perhaps then, we may conclude that service length is mainly (not exclusively) a cultural issue?

Boomer said:
graceandtruth said:
RAIDER said:
graceandtruth said:
RAIDER said:
Bravo said:
Not a pretty picture!

Perhaps then, we may conclude that service length is mainly (not exclusively) a cultural issue?

I agree totally.

Boomer said:

Yes, and there are very few of us that want to get out of church at 12:30 on Sunday.  :)

graceandtruth said:
Boomer said:
graceandtruth said:
RAIDER said:
graceandtruth said:
RAIDER said:
Bravo said:
Not a pretty picture!

I agree totally.
Me, too.  Native American churches, being more familiar(tribal,kindred), tend to spend the whole day with the church family, eat together often, sing alot, etc.  I have pastored  African -American congregations  as well, and I have to agree.  Euros love their watches, and their schedules. 
  If a N.A. has to leave, he gets up and walks out, so you can't be insecure about it.  Wait a while, he'll come back in.  A.A.'s hold up a finger, as they walk out for a restroom break, or whatever.  You Larry Smith one of them, and you'll get beat to death right in the service.  Lol. 

Anishinabe

prophet said:
graceandtruth said:
Boomer said:
graceandtruth said:
RAIDER said:
graceandtruth said:
RAIDER said:
Bravo said:
Not a pretty picture!

I agree totally.
Me, too.  Native American churches, being more familiar(tribal,kindred), tend to spend the whole day with the church family, eat together often, sing alot, etc.  I have pastored  African -American congregations  as well, and I have to agree.  Euros love their watches, and their schedules. 
  If a N.A. has to leave, he gets up and walks out, so you can't be insecure about it.  Wait a while, he'll come back in.  A.A.'s hold up a finger, as they walk out for a restroom break, or whatever.  You Larry Smith one of them, and you'll get beat to death right in the service.  Lol. 

Anishinabe

The man that won me to Christ is black and to this day my dearest friend in the world.
I visited his church back about 10 years ago somewhere in LA, I forget exactly where.
Almost 2 hours into the 'main' service, we looked at each other, stomach's growling, we exited stage left.
We couldn't handle it anymore, we were starving.

The preacher, an evangelist, preached on "Pay the Preacher".
Interesting thing was that the 'preacher' and 'his wife' were both driving late model Benz's, parked right outside the entrance with signs in front saying: Pastor and Pastor's wife.

16KJV11 said:
The man that won me to Christ is black and to this day my dearest friend in the world.
I visited his church back about 10 years ago somewhere in LA, I forget exactly where.
Almost 2 hours into the 'main' service, we looked at each other, stomach's growling, we exited stage left.

Interesting thing was that the 'preacher' and 'his wife' were both driving late model Benz's, parked right outside the entrance with signs in front saying: Pastor and Pastor's wife.

Hey, any contact info on that evangelist fellow?

:D

16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
graceandtruth said:
Boomer said:
graceandtruth said:
RAIDER said:
graceandtruth said:
RAIDER said:
Bravo said:
Not a pretty picture!

I agree totally.

Anishinabe

Was He outta EV Hill's church? The guy who led you to the LORD?

Anishinabe

RAIDER said:

Exactly!!  Organization and preparation are the keys.  It just takes a little common sense (which is a precious commodity in our IFB circle).

I use to get so angry at some of the teachers at HAC.  I would take a Bible class (let's say on Jeremiah).  We would meet three days each week.  At the end of the semester we would have covered 1/3 of the book.  I wanted to say, "You've got to be kidding me.  I paid for this class and we only completed 1/3 of it?  Are you telling me that, as a teacher, you do not have the organization and preparation skills to figure out how much of the book you need to cover each class period?"

Attitude check there, my HACker friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!