Cussing

ALAYMAN

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
After listening to Bob’s link to Christianity Today’s podcast covering the collapse of Mars Hill and Mark Driscoll I was a little surprised at how casual cussing was part of the members of Mars Hill (f-bombs and such) language. These were leaders like administrators, pastors, teachers, musicians, and executives. So, a couple questions:

How do you view the use of coarse language amongst Christians?

Have you been part of or witnessed a Church/Christian culture where cussing was commonplace and accepted?

Last edited:
Have you been part of or witnessed a Church/Christian culture where cussing was commonplace and accepted?
When I attended the mega church some years ago, I recall some language being used, both in and out of the pulpit, that I’d describe as a little colorful at times, though certainly not f-bombs. I can’t be too judgmental about this issue because it’s an area I occasionally struggle with, particularly if I lose my temper. It’s one area of my past life that still shows its teeth on occasion.

When I attended the mega church some years ago, I recall some language being used, both in and out of the pulpit, that I’d describe as a little colorful at times, though certainly not f-bombs. I can’t be too judgmental about this issue because it’s an area I occasionally struggle with, particularly if I lose my temper. It’s one area of my past life that still shows its teeth on occasion.
The pastor must have been inspired by Mark Driscoll.

Last edited:
The f word is not acceptable..........

I appreciate the transparency. And not to make excuses, I think there's a categorical difference (maybe one without a distinction 😁) when somebody hits their proverbial finger with the hammer, and the culture (as subllibrm alluded to) where there's an intention to "be edgy" or counter-Christian for relevance.

I've gotten pretty good at watching my language when others are around but not so much when I'm by myself. Of course, when my frustration level exceeds a certain point, then all bets are off.

While the occasional curse from others doesn't bother me, if it becomes frequent, I try to remove myself from the area.

In my ministry with CMA, I am exposed to more than a few salty conversations which is to be expected. Again, it doesn't typically get too overboard. It definitely helps not to be easily offended in this matter. When fellow CMA members let fly with a bit of salty language, I just have to take into account where some of them have come from and that like me, they are a work in progress.

I've gotten pretty good at watching my language when others are around but not so much when I'm by myself. Of course, when my frustration level exceeds a certain point, then all bets are off.

While the occasional curse from others doesn't bother me, if it becomes frequent, I try to remove myself from the area.

In my ministry with CMA, I am exposed to more than a few salty conversations which is to be expected. Again, it doesn't typically get too overboard. It definitely helps not to be easily offended in this matter. When fellow CMA members let fly with a bit of salty language, I just have to take into account where some of them have come from and that like me, they are a work in progress.

Yep, another good insight. And I can understand those who've came out of a rough lifestyle being a work in progress, but even that implies there's an ethical/moral standard to reach for. The Mars Hill crowd (and I'm betting the hipster scene in general) know how that sort of stuff is viewed by the "boomers" and I'm betting flaunt their "liberty" in spite of those "old legalists", wearing their foul language as a badge of distinction.

I believe we are all prone to "Losing our Religion" at times but your personal character and spiritual maturity will determine at what point and to what extent such is going to happen!

I am certain that more than a few swear words would be coming out of my mouth as I am stomping into the ground any "so and so" who dares to bring any harm upon one of my grandkids! It's OK though, I just happen to be "temporarily insane" and I promise to repent of my sin after I am done hiding the body and concealing any other evidence!

If you say there is nothing that could possibly drive you to "Cuss," I will call you a **** LIAR!

Now, if you let loose with a few F-Bombs during casual conversation, then I may come to the conclusion that perhaps you do not possess what you profess! You can certainly believe that unbelievers will come to this conclusion!

….

Now, if you let loose with a few F-Bombs during casual conversation, then I may come to the conclusion that perhaps you do not possess what you profess! You can certainly believe that unbelievers will come to this conclusion!

This is the essence of my OP. I’m not proposing the idea of composing some kind of list of off-limits words per se. I’m just questioning the idea that apparently there’s some kind of cool kids club where you have to earn your evangelical hipster stripes by defying conservative convention and letting loose with some profanity every so often.

This is the essence of my OP. I’m not proposing the idea of composing some kind of list of off-limits words per se. I’m just questioning the idea that apparently there’s some kind of cool kids club where you have to earn your evangelical hipster stripes by defying conservative convention and letting loose with some profanity every so often.
When I was 14 or 15, I thought it made me cool to use foul language. But I outgrew it.

As a young kid, while I hung around those who cursed, I cursed. If I wasn't hanging around with the cursing types, I generally didn't curse. However, that changed around age 12. I had some "trailer park" friends who cursed a lot and I followed suit. After a few weeks, they moved away (likely a CPS thing) yet, this time, I continued my cursing ways after their departure. In fact, not long after, I remember thinking, "Wow, I never used to curse like this until I met [those two boys]."

I guess bad company does corrupt good morals.

God got a hold of my mouth early in my Christian experience.
This strange occurrence called 'conviction' and that 'still small voice' became apparent in my life, especially in regards to my drinking alcohol and my mouth.
I was in the Air Force but I cursed like a sailor.
The Scripture..."Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers."
Was like a brick wall when it came to my language.
God gave me quite a victory in that area, and I praise Him for it.
Still, once in a while, especially when I get frustrated at 'myself', I'll sling a few derogatory syllables around, but not in front of people.
I hate it, b/c I know it grieves the heart of God, but it still shows me the power of the flesh and I am once again humbled before God.

After listening to Bob’s link to Christianity Today’s podcast covering the collapse of Mars Hill and Mark Driscoll I was a little surprised at how casual cussing was part of the members of Mars Hill (f-bombs and such) language. These were leaders like administrators, pastors, teachers, musicians, and executives. So, a couple questions:

Yes, I have. It's pretty common in some of the SBC churches I've been in, and even in some of the IFB churches. UGH!

There is such a thing as holy coarseness or obscenity in the Bible (see, for example, Ezekiel 16 or Phil. 3:8). This isn't justification for using it amongst ourselves; its occurrence is rare. It could hardly be cited as a norm; rather, it's the exception that proves the rule.

Because it's rare, it's shocking: it draws our attention to the author's point, which is the real obscenity.

We're told to keep away from coarse language (Eph. 5:4), but there's a place--occasionally--where a precision vulgarity strikes home on the point you're making. The pulpit isn't the place for that, but Sunday worship isn't the only possible audience, either.

I remember a time when I hardly heard an f-bomb or any cuss word anywhere and it was not appropriate in at least one public school I went to. It was never heard in church and I've never heard it even now in church.

First of all I do not like cussing, hearing it or me doing it. And I would never attend a church where I hear it from the pulpit. But as I have gotten older my BS meter timer has gotten shorter and shorter time span before ignition. Now when it come to stupidity or liberalism, yes I can loose it. Not proud of myself. I have used the F word, but I use it in the proper english grammar format, as an adjective or adverb. I know some people that have a problem of remembering me telling them this or that. No matter how many times I tell them something they say, you never told me that. But the funny thing is if I use the F word once when telling them something important that I want them to remember guess what. They never forget what I told them. If I was going to be buried(cremation for me) my tombstone would be one of two saying. H*** he could cuss like a sailor, but d*** he loved his family or Blah blah blah. I tell you all this not for your prayers or sympathy, or any other reasons other then the truth there are times when I disgust myself.