CW FISK

RAIDER said:
Walt said:
Would like to see him and all others to glorify God rather than JH -- saying something like:

- God used JH, FBCH, and HAC to teach me great truths about my life, for which I praise God and am grateful to all three.
- Nevertheless, we were taught a thoroughly unscriptural philosophy of leadership (other unscriptural teachings could be added)
- I was wrong to put JH on a high pedestal, and not check his teaching against the Scripture

So this would have been the appropriate and correct thing for him to say on that evening?
Certainly apples of gold in pictures of silver. ::)

16KJV11 said:
RAIDER said:
Walt said:
Would like to see him and all others to glorify God rather than JH -- saying something like:

- God used JH, FBCH, and HAC to teach me great truths about my life, for which I praise God and am grateful to all three.
- Nevertheless, we were taught a thoroughly unscriptural philosophy of leadership (other unscriptural teachings could be added)
- I was wrong to put JH on a high pedestal, and not check his teaching against the Scripture

So this would have been the appropriate and correct thing for him to say on that evening?

I understand where people are coming from, but it is just stupidity to expect CW Fisk to stand up and say that.

RAIDER said:
16KJV11 said:
RAIDER said:
Walt said:

I understand where people are coming from, but it is just stupidity to expect CW Fisk to stand up and say that.
I agree with you.  The time and the place would not have been conducive to the kind of statement that Walt thought he should have made.

RAIDER said:
16KJV11 said:
RAIDER said:
Walt said:

Perhaps, but I don't think God will fully bless FBCH like it could be blessed until they publicly repent of the idolatry they had for (and was encouraged by) Jack Hyles.

It's not necessary to say it "ad nauseam", but if one is going to praise him (or HAC, or FBCH), then it ought to be done with a warning label.  The idea that "I should only be positive" has no basis in Scripture, and only helps perpetuate his idolization.

That's why I'd like to see people who have a good reputation in their own right publicly admit to the errors in that place.

He was my youth pastor at FBC in the early 70's.  Loved him dearly.  When Dave Hyles became director, my parents would not allow us to attend activities.  He is no longer with Gomez.  He is in Texas, I believe.  His health is not good, but he still carries on.  The 70's kids recognized him at a party a few years ago.  Still wearing cowboy boots.  Never a negative word from the man.  What a wonderful soulwinner.  I'm on FB with his wife and we keep in touch quite a bit.  He left before all the garbage got started.  What a wonderful, godly youth pastor.  Once a month we would take buses to the Pacific Garden Mission and he would preach and the teenagers would sing.  Cal Streeter had it shortly after he left.  I remember one very cold upcoming sledding activity and he would not allow the girls to wear tights or pants under their skirts. No one showed up.

Still There said:
He was my youth pastor at FBC in the early 70's.  Loved him dearly.  When Dave Hyles became director, my parents would not allow us to attend activities.  He is no longer with Gomez.  He is in Texas, I believe.  His health is not good, but he still carries on.  The 70's kids recognized him at a party a few years ago.  Still wearing cowboy boots.  Never a negative word from the man.  What a wonderful soulwinner.  I'm on FB with his wife and we keep in touch quite a bit.  He left before all the garbage got started.  What a wonderful, godly youth pastor.  Once a month we would take buses to the Pacific Garden Mission and he would preach and the teenagers would sing.  Cal Streeter had it shortly after he left.  I remember one very cold upcoming sledding activity and he would not allow the girls to wear tights or pants under their skirts. No one showed up.

Family first. Those girls had some wise parents.

Still There said:

I don't know him personally; I do wish him well.

You write "he left before all the garbage got started" -- when was that?  Sumner's article came out in May of 1989, but talk had been going on since the late 70s/early 80s.  Dave's perversion was certainly common knowledge in the early 1980s.

Walt said:
Still There said:

I don't know him personally; I do wish him well.

You write "he left before all the garbage got started" -- when was that?  Sumner's article came out in May of 1989, but talk had been going on since the late 70s/early 80s.  Dave's perversion was certainly common knowledge in the early 1980s.

He and his wife, Darlene, left FBC in late '78 or very early '79 after accepting a pastorate in Ohio.

CW's wife Darlene had passed away from cancer before he started traveling.  He married Pam and they left afterwards.  He's a wonderful testimony to God.

Still There said:
CW's wife Darlene had passed away from cancer before he started traveling.  He married Pam and they left afterwards.  He's a wonderful testimony to God.

I've generally only heard good things about him.

Walt said:
Still There said:

I've generally only heard good things about him.

He left FBC on good terms, and I believe, Bro Hyles' blessing.  In fact, in his remarks to the congregation at FBC a few weeks back, he said that FBC sent quite a few buses filled with FBC members to Ohio for Mrs Darlene Fisk's funeral.