Did This Christian School Do the Right Thing?

Twisted

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/teen-barred-walking-graduation-due-031629396.html#mycomments

Seems reasonable. I know of schools that expel for such so this seems pretty minor to me.

Her final statement about "maybe an abortion being better" tells how messed up her thinking is.  And Pro-life groups and Christian groups that celebrate life, need to also adhere to the biblical teachings on sexuality.  It is not the schools fault that she chose to enter into a sinful sexual relationship. There are consequences, and she knew where the school stood on the issue before she did it.  In grace she should accept the schools decision, accept the forgiveness of the Lord, and raise her child to know better.

of course fornication is sin......but so are the multiple sins that the ones telling her she caint graduate commit everyday.

I believe they are taking it overboard.  one sin is equally as wrong as another sin.....just different sins come with different penalties....let the girls walk across the stage....

im sure their are PLENTY of known non-virgins walking across that same stage

The school has the right to enforce their policy as they see fit. Having said that I fall on the side of let her walk at graduation. We want people to choose life. She did not follow one bad decision with another bad decision.

LongGone said:
The school has the right to enforce their policy as they see fit. Having said that I fall on the side of let her walk at graduation. We want people to choose life. She did not follow one bad decision with another bad decision.
I agree with this take on it.  your right about the school having the right to enforce their rules how they see fit.....its just my opinion that they should let her take the walk.  and your absolutely right! she made a good decision behind a bad one...

LongGone said:

I agree.  The school's "problem" is that her sin is so....visible.  It could cost them future enrollment ($$$).

I read all the comments before the story. After reading the story if I was the school I would let her walk on the stage. Before she would walk I would send out a letter to all families stating the school does not endorse her behavior nor would we promote that lifestyle. Just the opposite, we stand against sex before marriage for any young man and lady couple. But we also believe in forgiveness. Especially when the young lady could have taken the easy way out with an abortion. At that point as a school I could care less about $$$, more about the saving of lives, both a mother and her baby. I believe the school would come across as one who gives 2nd chances.

She acknowledged her guilt, confessed it before the school, and didn't try to cover up the first sin by committing a worse one. For that, she is to be commended.

At the same time, she accepted that there would be consequences. Should the school have given no punishment at all for fornication? The choice to keep the baby doesn't nullify the first sin; that's just doing what she should have done.

She wasn't expelled, she will receive her diploma, and it looks like her family has her back as far as taking care of the baby is concerned. I think she'll make out OK. Not being able to attend commencement is hardly the end of the world. Accept the punishment and get on with your life.

T-Bone said:
Her final statement about "maybe an abortion being better" tells how messed up her thinking is.

You can imagine how the school would have reacted if that had happened. She probably would have been expelled, and rightly so.

Ransom said:
She acknowledged her guilt, confessed it before the school, and didn't try to cover up the first sin by committing a worse one. For that, she is to be commended.

At the same time, she accepted that there would be consequences. Should the school have given no punishment at all for fornication? The choice to keep the baby doesn't nullify the first sin; that's just doing what she should have done.

She wasn't expelled, she will receive her diploma, and it looks like her family has her back as far as taking care of the baby is concerned. I think she'll make out OK. Not being able to attend commencement is hardly the end of the world. Accept the punishment and get on with your life.

T-Bone said:
Her final statement about "maybe an abortion being better" tells how messed up her thinking is.

You can imagine how the school would have reacted if that had happened. She probably would have been expelled, and rightly so.
I agree with Ransom.............................................................wild isn't it.....lol no strike brother! just funnin

"She has a 4.0 average at Heritage Academy, the small private Christian school she attends; played on the soccer team; and served as president of the student council."

She has more than earned her diploma and her rightful spot in participating in her graduation. I am not sure what the real issue is but if they cannot provide a graduation, they need to re-imburse her tuition. They are de-frauding her of what others are being provided. All due to a hang-up regarding one specific sin which sadly, shouldn't be used an an excuse by the school for them to sin too. This situation calls for much prayer

Ransom said:

T-Bone said:

I don't know how much slant to assume is in this article - it seems to have been written by the New York Times, which is certainly not noted for being very pro-Christian.

The article in the OP certainly makes it sounds as if the girl is being punished for embarrassing the school, not for her sin.  Do they just not want an obviously pregnant unmarried women being honored? Sometimes I notice that I am more angry with my kids because they have embarrassed me, not necessarily for the wrong they have done.  I need to take stock and make sure that I am not overreacting.

I agree with removing her from the student council; less sure about the suspension.  Much would depend upon her attitude.

She certainly has made poor choices, and apparently, didn't listen to the cautions of her instructors.

I do feel sorry for her.

I know nothing about the school.

I'm very much afraid that the school officials may have been more relieved if she had had an abortion because they could have covered all of this

how pregnant is she? if its just beginning, let her walk and no one will notice. if its later, just let her walk and say that she's gained weight.

BibleGal said:
She has more than earned her diploma and her rightful spot in participating in her graduation. I am not sure what the real issue is but if they cannot provide a graduation, they need to re-imburse her tuition. They are de-frauding her of what others are being provided.

No, they aren't. She is completing her year and receiving her diploma. She is not allowed to participate in the graduation ceremony. Maybe the school needs to refund her fees for her cap and gown.

All due to a hang-up regarding one specific sin which sadly, shouldn't be used an an excuse by the school for them to sin too.

How has the school sinned? The girl agreed to a covenant, which she subsequently violated. It is certainly within their purview to administer discipline. And this wasn't some stupid fundy rule about hem length, either; Christian sexual morality is pretty well understood and agreed upon by Christians of every tradition.

TheRealJonStewart said:
how pregnant is she? if its just beginning, let her walk and no one will notice. if its later, just let her walk and say that she's gained weight.

And they'd have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for the fact that she confessed in front of the school, and apparently her family went to the press and identified Ms. Maddi Runkles by name when they told their story,

TheRealJonStewart said:

So, lying is better than the truth?

Ransom said:
BibleGal said:
She has more than earned her diploma and her rightful spot in participating in her graduation. I am not sure what the real issue is but if they cannot provide a graduation, they need to re-imburse her tuition. They are de-frauding her of what others are being provided.

No, they aren't. She is completing her year and receiving her diploma. She is not allowed to participate in the graduation ceremony. Maybe the school needs to refund her fees for her cap and gown.

All due to a hang-up regarding one specific sin which sadly, shouldn't be used an an excuse by the school for them to sin too.

How has the school sinned? The girl agreed to a covenant, which she subsequently violated. It is certainly within their purview to administer discipline. And this wasn't some stupid fundy rule about hem length, either; Christian sexual morality is pretty well understood and agreed upon by Christians of every tradition.

Per the article, she confessed in Jan and was suspended for 2 days.  If, at that time, they told her that she would not be able to participate in graduation, I'm perfectly OK with it.  But if this they just decided at the beginning of May that she could not attend graduation, I think the school is in the wrong here.

If on the other hand a male who was graduating had gotten a girl pregnant, would he be allowed to walk and get his  diploma? Is there a rule in the student handbook that states that pregnant students cannot walk in graduation if all other high school requirements have been met?

Ransom said:
Nowhere do I read it states if this particular rule is broken that they are barred from participating in graduation. They also add illegal drugs, alcohol abuse and a few other pet sins to the list aside from sexually immoral. Which sexually immoral can apply to ANYTHING kids do. This is blatant hypocricy and breaking of a legal contract. She needs her tuition refunded, maybe not fully because she did get a diploma but it is a breach of contract. And the shaming regarding barring her from participating in her graduation already outed her.  People will notice she is missing from her own graduation. She needs to expose this for what it is. Which she did by discussing it with the school outloud so other parents can protect their children. For this, I commend her.

You do not understand covenants. Nor am I sure which type of covenant you are referring to -meaning between which two parties. This is a money making institution which seeks to replace the biblical instruction parents are commanded to train up and discipline their children and exploit it for their own profitable gain. This is NOT a church but something acting against the church per scripture. They have no authority to do much (per scripture) so they are essentially, babysitters. There is a contract to educate them during the time they are paid to supervise them.
There are no covenants here pertaining to this business. I cannot speak for her relationship with the Lord of course.
But this is a business acting in it's best interests,  with a very young victim learning a difficult lesson. She  is a liability to their financial success.

I will address  Covenants  as closely to your assumed misunderstanding I hope.  Possibly he covenant you are referring to more closely resembles the greek word berit. . Example: Solomon and Hiram made a binding agreement to live and work in peace together ( 1 Kings 5:12 )
You are trying to instill biblical principals in the form of a secular contract involving an institution which holds a contract between the parent and the institution pertaining to a child (at the time) This happened while she was underage so the contract is within her parent(s) and this secular institution. This is a money making endeavor, a business whom are not going to re-act or act in the manner a Disciple of Christ would.  Church is for the saved, it has a totally different purpose than this business. In fact, it operates as scripture as the foundation so it is in opposition with this whole situaiton.

If this were a church, the matter would be very simple as JESUS HIMSELF gave us an example of how to handle this very thing. Even most unbelievers know this story  :)

John 8:1-11King James Version (KJV)
8 Jesus went unto the mount of Olives.
2 And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them.
3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,
4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.
9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Wow this  secular institution  took the bible out of context to condemn. They even have the audicity  to quote scripture which doesn't relate to anything here whatsoever.

He made her sin  everyone's business at the school which is bordering child abuse.  Publicly shame her by forcing her to explain to classmates and parents why she cannot participate in graduation and now they are lying about her issuing this release.

It is probably best the father sue this school for these lies. This money making operation will only care if if their bottom line is hit. Of course between brothers, suing is discouraged but again, this is not a church.  I am sure the unbelievers and pharisees will be out in full force to defend this man who victimizes kids in his care instead of doing his job

May 22, 2017

Dearest Heritage Family:
As I begin, please understand that my wife and I have fallen in love with the people of Heritage Academy.  Therefore, it is for Heritage?s protection that I write this.
The main reason I have been silent to this point is because in disciplinary situations, each Heritage family deserves confidentiality. The conduct of your children is not everyone?s business. This perspective would have been the best way to deal with Maddi Runkles? disciplinary situation. However, her family has chosen to make her behavior a public matter. Before sending this letter, I contacted Scott Runkles who gave me permission to discuss this publicly. In my thinking, these were the two to protect: first Maddi, then Heritage, in that order. Unfortunately, both are now being hurt by those who do not know or understand the situation. For this sole reason, I am now willing to comment publicly.
Let me clarify some facts. Maddi is being disciplined, not because she?s pregnant, but because she was immoral. The Student Pledge which every student from 5th grade through 12th grade signs states that this application of Philippians 4:8 ?extends to my actions, such as protecting my body by abstaining from sexual immorality and from the use of alcohol, tobacco, and illegal drugs?.  Heritage is also pleased that she has chosen to not abort her son. However, her immorality is the original choice she made that began this situation. Secondly, she will receive her diploma that she has earned.
Much has been said about grace. I believe that there are two kinds of grace: saving grace and living grace. One is concerning spiritual birth ?once and for all? (Hebrews 9:12, 10:10) which demanded no effort on my part, because my Savior Jesus, finished this on His cross and from His empty tomb. The other kind of grace is spiritual growth that does demand my effort (2 Peter 3:18). It also includes discipline (Hebrews 12:5-11). A wise man told me that discipline is not the absence of love, but the application of love. We love Maddi Runkles. The best way to love her right now is to hold her accountable for her immorality that began this situation.
As I conclude, I have two concerns. First, I am concerned that my Heritage family feels that the Board and I are harsh, cruel, hard-hearted men. Nothing can be further from the truth. We have spent countless hours in prayer and discussion. The Board has listened to three appeals from the Runkles family and compromised all three times. Secondly, I am concerned about our graduation ceremony on the evening of June 2nd . That night, I want God to be glorified in a dignified manner. Please enable us to do this.
With deepest sincerity,
David R. Hobbs
Administrator
http://heritage-academy.net/