Did This Christian School Do the Right Thing?

4everfsu said:
If on the other hand a male who was graduating had gotten a girl pregnant, would he be allowed to walk and get his  diploma? Is there a rule in the student handbook that states that pregnant students cannot walk in graduation if all other high school requirements have been met?

They certainly need to be consistent in this area.

For whatever reason, this is often highly inconsistent -- a young man is "sowing his wild oats" and is looked upon indulgently, but a woman who does the same is soundly condemned.

BibleGal said:
If this were a church, the matter would be very simple as JESUS HIMSELF gave us an example of how to handle this very thing. Even most unbelievers know this story  :)

John 8:1-11King James Version (KJV)
8 Jesus went unto the mount of Olives.
2 And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them.
3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,
4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.
9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

This isn't correct. Jesus was not condoning her sin; she escaped because of the hypocrisy of the accusers. Jesus showed her mercy and grace - He was without sin, and He could have condemned her, but the scribes and Pharisees deliberately let the man go, so Jesus, by letting her go, was balancing the scales.

Letting this girl off with no punishment is not the lesson to learn from this passage.

I reiterate what I said earlier. IF, back in Jan, they suspended her, removed her from the student council, AND told her that she could not participate in the graduation ceremony, that's fine with me (assuming that they consistently enforce the rule).  BUT, if they waited until now to ban her, that seems to me to be continuing punishment for a past sin.

BibleGal said:
Nowhere do I read it states if this particular rule is broken that they are barred from participating in graduation.

What specific punishment did they state that you read?

This is blatant hypocricy and breaking of a legal contract. She needs her tuition refunded, maybe not fully because she did get a diploma but it is a breach of contract.

Why should her tuition be refunded over a one-night ceremony? Did she attend classes for the year? Did she fulfill the requirements of her diploma? Will she receive said diploma? If so, they fulfilled their end of the contract.

The student was the one who made the choice to boink someone out of wedlock and got knocked, in spite of the agreement she signed. Annoy me not with this false narrative of Ms. Runkles being the wounded party.

Which she did by discussing it with the school outloud so other parents can protect their children. For this, I commend her.

Protect them from what? She's certainly a living warning about the dangers of illicit sex and making poor decisions.

You do not understand covenants.  Nor am I sure which type of covenant you are referring to -meaning between which two parties.

Covenant, as in "lifestyle covenant," the agreement that students stipulate when they attend a Christian school, to uphold a moral lifestyle. It may not be the exact definition of a bibical covenant, but that's what it's called.

If this were a church, the matter would be very simple as JESUS HIMSELF gave us an example of how to handle this very thing. Even most unbelievers know this story

Yes, it certainly looks like the age's moral-relativist Pharisees are trying to trap this Christian school in a false moral dilemma.

Ransom said:
What specific punishment did they state that you read? [/b]
This has nothing to do with me so clearly this school is not responding to me. This is bizarre. if you are drunk or on drugs, please refrain.. This is a message board for the saved to discuss scripture. Don't make it personal about me, you know nothing of me to do so anyhow. I've just joined. It's a discussion board.
Why should her tuition be refunded over a one-night ceremony? Did she attend classes for the year? Did she fulfill the requirements of her diploma? Will she receive said diploma? If so, they fulfilled their end of the contract.
Graduation is no one night ceremony to anyone. It is part of graduating high school. Hence why she will be asked regarding her absence. So her pregnancy has been outed.
  The student was the one who made the choice to boink someone out of wedlock and got knocked, in spite of the agreement she signed. Annoy me not with this false narrative of Ms. Runkles being the wounded party.
She has paid for tuition. That is what is at stake. This business didn't provide what it promised. Yes, when we pay good money from our hard earned work and are promised things via a secular legal contract, they need to adhere to the contract.
Which she did by discussing it with the school outloud so other parents can protect their children. For this, I commend her.
She was forced to clarify due to the Administration deciding, at first, she had no right to even attend school. So her discussion of the facts was co-erced, not willful. There really was no choice in order to protect future victims.

Covenant, as in "lifestyle covenant," the agreement that students stipulate when they attend a Christian school, to uphold a moral lifestyle. It may not be the exact definition of a bibical covenant, but that's what it's called.
This message board is advertised as being christian based. I am not sure of the secular definition you refer to.  Again, I have no clue of any covenant she has with the Lord but am aware that her parent(s) have a legal agreement with this school in which the school tried to breach.

Yes, it certainly looks like the age's moral-relativist Pharisees are trying to trap this Christian school in a false moral dilemma.
Look. This is a CHRISTIAN message board where scripture is assumed to be truth. I cannot force you not to be sexually vulger calling intercourse "boinking" or your secular slang, all I can do is pray for this kind fo hate. My guess is you are someone who cannot hold a marriage together, are likely single, and probably unable to really function in normal society. My hopes is the owner of this website will get rid of you. There is no reason to be sexually vulgar to new posters. I'm done with you.

Walt said:
BibleGal said:
If this were a church, the matter would be very simple as JESUS HIMSELF gave us an example of how to handle this very thing. Even most unbelievers know this story  :)

2 And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them.
3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,
5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

This isn't correct. Jesus was not condoning her sin; she escaped because of the hypocrisy of the accusers. Jesus showed her mercy and grace - He was without sin, and He could have condemned her, but the scribes and Pharisees deliberately let the man go, so Jesus, by letting her go, was balancing the scales.

Letting this girl off with no punishment is not the lesson to learn from this passage.

I reiterate what I said earlier. IF, back in Jan, they suspended her, removed her from the student council, AND told her that she could not participate in the graduation ceremony, that's fine with me (assuming that they consistently enforce the rule).  BUT, if they waited until now to ban her, that seems to me to be continuing punishment for a past sin.
First of all, you are referring to punishment which is up to the Holy Spirit. Her father is the one to assign that per scripture, not a secular business. It doesn't matter what is "fine" with you, it matters what scripture says on the topic. And Jesus has provided us the perfect example of someone calling him LORD and being forgiven.

Sinners aka the Unsaved, will be punished.  Otherwise Chrisitians understand Christ died for their sins so not all sins come with automatic consequences. So we shouldn't try to apply punishments where it isn't our right to do so.

Walt said:
TheRealJonStewart said:
how pregnant is she? if its just beginning, let her walk and no one will notice. if its later, just let her walk and say that she's gained weight.

So, lying is better than the truth?
yea.....I would say not to lie about it. 

BibleGal said:
Walt said:
BibleGal said:

First of all, you are referring to punishment which is up to the Holy Spirit. Her father is the one to assign that per scripture, not a secular business. It doesn't matter what is "fine" with you, it matters what scripture says on the topic. And Jesus has provided us the perfect example of someone calling him LORD and being forgiven.

Sinners aka the Unsaved, will be punished.  Otherwise Chrisitians understand Christ died for their sins so not all sins come with automatic consequences. So we shouldn't try to apply punishments where it isn't our right to do so.

There is a lot of strangeness in this response... are you unused to discussing things?  Your response was full of declarative statements that don't seem to follow.

I KNOW that the Scriptures are the final authority.  The OP asks if the school "did right" by their decision, which calls our our judgment - also called our opinion.  We do form opinions as to what the Scripture says - and those opinions can be all over the map, from traditional interpretation to wild, out-of-the-blue meanings read into Scripture.  Thus by stating "I am fine", I am saying, that in my opinion, the Scripture would be supportive of what the school did, as long as it was part of the initial punishment for her sin.

I find it highly amusing that you chide me for not following the Scripture, and yet you begin with a statement that punishment is "up to the Holy Spirit".  Do you have Scripture for that?  I read in the Bible that the Holy Spirit convicts people of sin, and guides willing believers to the truth, but I don't recall where punishment is up to the Holy Spirit.  In fact, Jesus stated that the Father had committed all judgment unto the Son.

You may have some blinders on regarding a Christian school.  I'm not sure why you consider it a secular business.  One definition of secular is "not connected with religion", and the Christian school most certainly is.    Consider it not a Christian school; consider it a business that makes a rule that you cannot miss work two days in the first 90 days of employment or you'll be let go. It's the rules - whether they are fair or not isn't the point.  Someone going to work at that company that fails to show up for work for five days is going to get fired.  It's not up to that person's father.  Calling Jesus "Lord" will not get them out of the punishment.

By the way, calling Jesus "Lord" does not necessarily make her a believer.  We are told that there are "lords" on earth - it is a term of respect, rather like "Sir" or "Ma'am" is with us.  She may have been a believer; I'm not saying she wasn't, but just because she used the word "Lord" is not a reason to assume that she is.

The school has a perfect right to enforce their own rules, so long as it is done impartially.

Nearly all sins have consequences -- perhaps all sins do -- but that would depend upon what one considers a "consequence".

BibleGal said:
This has nothing to do with me so clearly this school is not responding to me. This is bizarre. if you are drunk or on drugs, please refrain..

Ahem. You said that "nowhere did you read" that being barred from graduation was the punishment for illicit sex. This implied that you knew what the proper punishment was. So please tell us what it is, and where you read it.

Graduation is no one night ceremony to anyone. It is part of graduating high school. Hence why she will be asked regarding her absence. So her pregnancy has been outed.

None of which has to do with the school fulfilling its contract to educate her and provide her with a diploma.

This message board is advertised as being christian based. I am not sure of the secular definition you refer to.

You are apparently unaware that words may have different definitions depending on the context. Maybe you should write your high school and demand a refund, since it appears they have not fulfilled their contract to educate you.

Look. This is a CHRISTIAN message board where scripture is assumed to be truth. I cannot force you not to be sexually vulger calling intercourse "boinking" or your secular slang, all I can do is pray for this kind fo hate.

Disagreement with you is not "hate."

I'm done with you.

Okluvyoubyebye.

BibleGal said:
First of all, you are referring to punishment which is up to the Holy Spirit. Her father is the one to assign that per scripture, not a secular business.

In loco parentis. Look it up.

Ransom said:
BibleGal said:
First of all, you are referring to punishment which is up to the Holy Spirit. Her father is the one to assign that per scripture, not a secular business.

In loco parentis. Look it up.

At least we tried to engage with her in discussion... looks like she won't be responding now.

I have enjoyed reading your posts here; I hope you liked mine as well.

Walt said:
4everfsu said:
If on the other hand a male who was graduating had gotten a girl pregnant, would he be allowed to walk and get his  diploma? Is there a rule in the student handbook that states that pregnant students cannot walk in graduation if all other high school requirements have been met?

For whatever reason, this is often highly inconsistent -- a young man is "sowing his wild oats" and is looked upon indulgently, but a woman who does the same is soundly condemned.

Not by this father of three girls.  ???

Who are these indulgent ones and where can I find them to give them some instruction?  :mad:

subllibrm said:
Walt said:
4everfsu said:
Who are these indulgent ones and where can I find them to give them some instruction?  :mad:
I have never heard of a Christian school code of conduct which lists the morality expectations for girls differently than for boys. I have also never heard of a case where the girl was expelled, but the boy was not. In some cases it may be easier to prove immorality on the part of a pregnant girl, but not have proof of fornication in the boy?s case.
I know the world may have a double standard in these cases, but the God does not.

subllibrm said:
Walt said:
4everfsu said:

I was talking about the world; from reading material back over the last 100 years or so,
certainly English and American cultures have been more indulgent to promiscuous males than to
promiscuous females.

I don't KNOW of churches or schools with this attitude, but sometimes, worldly attitudes
still affect Christians.

Walt said:
subllibrm said:
Walt said:
4everfsu said:

I was talking about the world; from reading material back over the last 100 years or so,
certainly English and American cultures have been more indulgent to promiscuous males than to
promiscuous females.

I don't KNOW of churches or schools with this attitude, but sometimes, worldly attitudes
still affect Christians.

Gotcha. Carry on.

No they did not. Ostracizing her is not part of the contract they had with the student or her parents.

This is shameful. Sexism at its finest

Twisted said:
https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/teen-barred-walking-graduation-due-031629396.html#mycomments

Personally - I think they should allow her to graduate (the full experience including ceremony) just like any other student. I say this without reviewing the school's rules and etc, or fully understanding the situation. But, my being married to a woman who was raped as a young lady on a Christian school campus and expelled for "being in the wrong place at the wrong time" I can safely say now is the time to show Christ to this lady and those around her. What happens now will have a lifetime of emotional and spiritual consequences. My wife never returned to college.

Let those around see Grace from the school.

We live in extreme days and perhaps punishing a child for making a mistake that so many "Christian" leaders make seems unproductive. Perhaps if she was blatantly unrepentant should they then consider actions.

I don't commend such behavior, and I don't believe allowing her to participate in the graduation ceremony would encourage others to participate in the same sin.

Now. That said. If the rules, signed by her parents, for the school clearly state consequences for sexual, drugs, profanity - they do have a right to follow out the consequences. But. Still. A repentant student should be respected IMHO.

Matt 4:18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit. 19And her husband Joseph, being a just man and unwilling to put her to shame, resolved to divorce her quietly. 20But as he considered these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins." 22All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had spoken by the prophet:

joseph acted "as a just man unwilling to put her to shame" by outing her sexual sin so planned to divorce her quietly. An angel of the lord then approached him telling him she was pregnant by the holy spirit and to take her as his wife. A rightful and just man doesn't put a young girl who committed adultery/fornication to shame. truthfully so,  the school proclaimed the sin isn't the pregnancy but in the sinful act precluding it. 

John 8: 1-11 Jesus went unto the mount of Olives.
11 [/font][/size][/color]She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.[/u][/b]

t This same scripture was posted already but poo poo'd and twisted to convince us it meant something other than what it actually said.
jesus refused to condemn the woman involved in sexual sin. Just as her accusers had the sense not to stone her and instead, left the scene. they didn't condemn her. Jesus didn't condemn her.  no one did.
applying punishment to something scripture prohibits is vagrant sin being perpetrated against her.  punishment is authority granted only to the parents of this minor child.  as stated already, a school is not a church so they are not acting in accordance with scripture but in accord with their own sinful desires . The urge to vilify, shame and condemn this young girl is strong.

both the school and the girl need to heed Jesus words "Go and Sin No More"

RunsWithScissors said:
Matt 4:18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit. 19And her husband Joseph, being a just man and unwilling to put her to shame, resolved to divorce her quietly. 20But as he considered these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins." 22All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had spoken by the prophet:

joseph acted "as a just man unwilling to put her to shame" by outing her sexual sin so planned to divorce her quietly. An angel of the lord then approached him telling him she was pregnant by the holy spirit and to take her as his wife. A rightful and just man doesn't put a young girl who committed adultery/fornication to shame. truthfully so,  the school proclaimed the sin isn't the pregnancy but in the sinful act precluding it. 

It isn't valid to compare this girl's situation with Mary; Mary never committed fornication - Joseph though that she had, but he was wrong.

There is no question that this girl sinned.  Assuming that she is repentant, I agree that people should be gracious to her.