Do you agree that this?????

Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Our agnostic friend asked us if doing this rather than addressing people's questions was a part of Christianity and were we required to make the 'sale pitch' (as he called it) to 'appease our god' (his term). My wife and I were able to share with him (and his friend) about what faith in Christ is about. He said he could never see the logic in it and we talked about faith vs. logic and even how faith is based in logic. We talked about an hour about spiritual matters (including Jesus' death and resurrection) and he went home last night with some food for thought. Unlike the 'census taker' who was trying his 'sales pitch', we were able to break the stereotype and have a sincere, open discussion about faith in Christ.

Did you use Paul's writings to show him the way?  :)

Actually, no. Pointed to Jesus and His teachings, not Paul. ;)

But without Paul's gospel we don't have a salvation of grace.  :)

Hence, my problem with Paul. Believing such means Jesus' gospel is insufficient. ;)

Gospel of the Kingdom - rejected.  Gospel of Grace - accepted.  ;)

Christ's command was to follow Him and His teachings. Purposely rejecting His gospel in favor of another is a dangerous endeavor.

1 Corinthians 15

15 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Paul relayed the message of the OT.

"According to scripture "

RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Our agnostic friend asked us if doing this rather than addressing people's questions was a part of Christianity and were we required to make the 'sale pitch' (as he called it) to 'appease our god' (his term). My wife and I were able to share with him (and his friend) about what faith in Christ is about. He said he could never see the logic in it and we talked about faith vs. logic and even how faith is based in logic. We talked about an hour about spiritual matters (including Jesus' death and resurrection) and he went home last night with some food for thought. Unlike the 'census taker' who was trying his 'sales pitch', we were able to break the stereotype and have a sincere, open discussion about faith in Christ.

Did you use Paul's writings to show him the way?  :)

Actually, no. Pointed to Jesus and His teachings, not Paul. ;)

But without Paul's gospel we don't have a salvation of grace.  :)

Hence, my problem with Paul. Believing such means Jesus' gospel is insufficient. ;)

Gospel of the Kingdom - rejected.  Gospel of Grace - accepted.  ;)

Christ's command was to follow Him and His teachings. Purposely rejecting His gospel in favor of another is a dangerous endeavor.

1 Corinthians 15

15 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Thank you for the proof. This is in contrast to Jesus telling His disciples to go into the world (including Gentiles) and teach everything He commanded them (the Jewish disciples). On top of that, one of the reasons for the Spirit is to bring to remembrance all that Christ taught. There is only One we are to call Rabbi. Jesus claimed at the ascension that ALL (spiritual) authority had been given to Himself.

Believing in those historical facts about Jesus does not equate to following Him, obeying His commands, being His disciple or inheriting eternal life. Remember, the demons believe yet are still doomed.

Tom Brennan said:
I think leading someone in a prayer after presenting the Gospel can be handled well or handled badly. Just because some have handled it badly doesn't mean it is a bad idea, let alone an unscriptural concept. It just needs to be done carefully after a painstakingly thorough presentation of the Gospel.

Well, it is "unscriptural" in the sense that there is no example of one person leading a sinner in prayer to be saved.  It may not be against the Bible (or anti-Scriptural).  Sunday School is not in the Bible; that doesn't mean that it is wrong, either.

One evangelist said that we are missing out on blessings by not allowing people to pray on their own. It was an interesting idea. I understand that many don't care to pray out loud with another person present; I'm not convinced that leading them is the best answer.

From Christianity Today

April 28, 2016
Evangelism or ?Elevator Pitch??
The offer of salvation isn't a sales pitch. | Jackson Wu
http://www.christianitytoday.com/edstetzer/2016/april/evangelism-or-elevator-pitch.html

Baptist City Holdout said:
Sounds like a good introduction to Paul Washer and the Sinner's Prayer.....................
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ7LbEg3PZU

Thanks! He made some good points!

sword said:
From Christianity Today

April 28, 2016
http://www.christianitytoday.com/edstetzer/2016/april/evangelism-or-elevator-pitch.html

Thanks! There are some good points in this article!

sword said:
From Christianity Today

April 28, 2016

Hey! He didn't use the KJV in his Scripture quotes!

sword said:
From Christianity Today

April 28, 2016

Seriously, though, it was OK... I didn't see anything different than what Paul Washer said.