Do You Consider Yourself to be a Fundamentalist?

I would best describe myself as:

• A Fighting Fundamentalist (There are many fundamentals of the Faith and high standards to hold)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Non-Fundamentalist (There are no doctrines that are fundamental to the Faith)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Green Beret

Elect
Reaction score
During the "debate" with ChristUndivided, I was reminded of a link my son sent me. It came to me earlier this year in an email pointing out how uncannily accurate my observations were ten years ago when we had originally discussed this subject. He was a sophomore in college at the time and was really struggling with my perspective on the topic. I love how I'm becoming more brilliant and wise in his eyes now that he has two sons. If I live long enough, I may even obtain genius status with him! It is a short but very good read. Here's the link:

http://www.sbts.edu/blogs/2013/12/23/the-coming-identity-crisis/

So, here's my question. With the shift in our culture's worldview and the subsequent consequences, how many of those here on the FFF think of themselves as fundamentalists (theologically or otherwise)? Since we only get five options on the poll, it is hard to cover all the bases but I think I have given enough choices to be accurate.

Please, let us know your thoughts as well.

I dont get to see the polls, on Tapatalk.

But, no, I don't consider myself a fundamentalist....regardless of the definition.

Green Beret said:
During the "debate" with ChristUndivided, I was reminded of a link my son sent me. It came to me earlier this year in an email pointing out how uncannily accurate my observations were ten years ago when we had originally discussed this subject. He was a sophomore in college at the time and was really struggling with my perspective on the topic. I love how I'm becoming more brilliant and wise in his eyes now that he has two sons. If I live long enough, I may even obtain genius status with him! It is a short but very good read. Here's the link:

So, here's my question. With the shift in our culture's worldview and the subsequent consequences, how many of those here on the FFF think of themselves as fundamentalists (theologically or otherwise)? Since we only get five options on the poll, it is hard to cover all the bases but I think I have given enough choices to be accurate.

Good article.

I don't particularly like distilling things down to mere labels, as it tends to stifle conversations and foster stereotypes.  I don't have a problem with identifying with conservative Christianity (some would prefer that to be called fundamentalism), but the baggage of secondary separation and hyper militancy ain't my  view of how we should function in Christian charity.  Having said that, I just listened to an Albert Mohler sermon where he essentially said "cultural Christianity is near death, and we're left with the gospel, but that's all we need".  To that I say a hearty amen. 

While there are some undeniable fundamentals of the faith, there is no way I want to be associated with the "fundamental" crowd. Waaaaaaaay too many whack jobs. 

I don't describe myself in terms of the fundamentals though I do mostly agree with the historic five fundamentals. If someone insists on categorizing what kind of Christian I am doctrinally, it's pretty complex. For simplicity's sake, orthodox Anglican will do.

Green Beret said:

I believe in the historic fundamentals of the faith. I fall in line between Jerry Falwell and John R. Rice. The right turn that IFBs took after Rice's death is ridiculous. I can't go along with the seeker-sensitive stuff I see in evangelicalism either. I'm not as conservative as most IFBs and I'm not as contemporary as most evangelicals.

I adjusted the poll because the first choice was too negative for anyone to select. I should have pondered it some more before posting. The integrity of the sample has been compromised.... ;)

Liberty1 said:
I believe in the historic fundamentals of the faith. I fall in line between Jerry Falwell and John R. Rice. The right turn that IFBs took after Rice's death is ridiculous. I can't go along with the seeker-sensitive stuff I see in evangelicalism either. I'm not as conservative as most IFBs and I'm not as contemporary as most evangelicals.

I agree with your take on this. However, I would go a step further and say that it is not really a conservative (traditional) vs. contemporary (liberal) scale but a much more complex, 3D, Magic quadrant type of one.

Purely in terms of essential doctrine, you could call me a historic fundamentalist. BUT that doesn't mean I identify with the fundamentalist subculture, now or then. I don't identify with evangelicalism either. It isn't about conservative or liberal, but about orthodoxy and orthopraxy.

Old time Baptist of the 1600s variety I oppose the modern so called old timey ones.

Historic Fundamentalist or Historic Baptist would be closer.

London Baptist Confession of Faith 1689 which is a Baptistic revision of the 39 Artlicles of the Church of England would represent my beliefs best.

bgwilkinson said:
Old time Baptist of the 1600s variety I oppose the modern so called old timely ones.

London Baptist Confession of Faith 1689 which is a Baptistic revision of the 39 Artlicles of the Church of England would represent my beliefs best.

Very good. Thank you for the input. Out of curiosity, how many churches that fit that description are in your area?

I'm only there for the potlucks

Green Beret said:
bgwilkinson said:
Old time Baptist of the 1600s variety I oppose the modern so called old timely ones.

Very good. Thank you for the input. Out of curiosity, how many churches that fit that description are in your area?
My assembly ascribes to the 1689 also

Green Beret said:
bgwilkinson said:

I believe there are several that want to get back to what I will call real Fundamentalism of following the Bible and not the traditions of men, no matter how well meaning they may seem. They are sick of the NeoFundamentalism of Bro. Hyles and others that followed him in one-upmanship.

I believe Bro. Hyles was sincere in his desire to serve the LORD, but in his zeal he went headlong not according to knowledge.

He did that which was right, in his own eyes. He got way off the path of historic Fundamentalism.

I do not think he meant to get into all the heretical ideas he embraced, such as KJVO that had him write in his enemies of soulwinning book that one had to have the pure seed of the KJV to be saved. I wonder if it ever crossed his mind that the thief on the cross was not saved if KJVO seed theory was valid.

If you don't find that, the men like Spurgeon that have gone before us, espoused it, it probably is heresy.

Going to close the poll after the weekend. So far, over 75% identify as historic fundamentalist.

Need more votes.

This is rather difficult because I think most of the folks here would agree doctrinally with the historic "fundamentals". However, it is the association with the 'frosted flake' fundamentalist of today that most don't want to be associated with.

BALAAM said:
This is rather difficult because I think most of the folks here would agree doctrinally with the historic "fundamentals". However, it is the association with the 'frosted flake' fundamentalist of today that most don't want to be associated with.

And also, what would the difference be between a "Historic" or "Nominal" fundamentalist, and an Evangelical, as I would usually label myself?

Ransom said:
BALAAM said:

And also, what would the difference be between a "Historic" or "Nominal" fundamentalist, and an Evangelical, as I would usually label myself?

Dude, you tell me! I don't know. The way I was taught in the last 25 years would say that if you think it is okay for a woman to wear slacks then you are not a fundamentalist. The mindset gets a little confusing. I dream for the "old paths" when fundamentalism was defined by biblical and theological standards. Like the difference between a Harry Emerson Fosdick and a Deitrich Bonhoffer.

Would consider myself an evangelical, having been raised in a fighting fundy church. I go to a church that embraces the fundamentals with a bit of a Pentecostal flavor. I am actually reformed now in belief much in the vein of Wayne grudem. I can still identify with the basic core of fundamentalist theology, but abhor the culture of the movement.