Does FBC/HAC have a retirement plan?

Norefund

Elect
Reaction score
Reading in another thread that people were terminated so they couldn't make it to retirement made me wonder. What do people at FBC.HAC get when they retire? Who is drawing a retirement paycheck now?

qwerty could answer that ...he's our detective 8)

There was a one time package offered where those eligible for retirement were provided a package. I do not remember the details, but it was fair.  This was very early on in the Schaap days. Elsie Toney, Mrs. Stephens, and I believe one or both of the Laurents took advantage of it.

After that a financial planner (Vicnery? Not sure about spelling) came in and met with the Staff and Faculty about setting up a 403b.... I remember the laughter at one meeting when he suggested seeing aside $500 a month.  Some did that (with much smaller amounts) as well as other organized retirement solutions, but the ministries does not offer anything except when Schaap had Kimmel swindling people to invest in the Iraqi Dinar.

Looking back, I feel bad for those who were talked out of even investing in Social Security by moving some or most of their salary to their housing allowance. Most men had other jobs and investments, so hopefully have planned ahead and I think most did.

So, for instance, if a person worked at HAC for nearly 40 years and was let go, it had nothing to do with trying to get out of paying out any retirement obligation?

Norefund said:
So, for instance, if a person worked at HAC for nearly 40 years and was let go, it had nothing to do with trying to get out of paying out any retirement obligation?

They did take Social Security out of my checks when I was employed by the college.

Smellin Coffee said:
They did take Social Security out of my checks when I was employed by the college.

Same here.... Except for the housing allowance. That was not taxed. 

If you were ordained, you could move more to your housing allowance from your salary. You had to be ordained because of an IRS requirement.

Norefund said:

It is really who you are at FBCH/HAC. I am sure Dr. Evans is receiving a great retirement, as I am sure Young will too.

CW did buy the college owned house he was living in for a great deal, does not make up for unceremoniously being shown the door. I will not go into detail about it, but I will say that it was Lapina's revenge for how the Schaap photo scandal was handled. CW did the right thing and today is a better person without being yoked with FBCH.

qwerty said:
Smellin Coffee said:

If you were ordained, you could move more to your housing allowance from your salary. You had to be ordained because of an IRS requirement.

Norefund said:

It is really who you are at FBCH/HAC. I am sure Dr. Evans is receiving a great retirement, as I am sure Young will too.

CW did buy the college owned house he was living in for a great deal, does not make up for unceremoniously being shown the door. I will not go into detail about it, but I will say that it was Lapina's revenge for how the Schaap photo scandal was handled. CW did the right thing and today is a better person without being yoked with FBCH.
I don't recall Clyde being in the discussion about the discovery.

qwerty said:
Smellin Coffee said:

Norefund said:

Are you intimating that EL was attempting complicity in or the instigation of the cover-up of a major crime? Which would in itself be a crime.

The initial police report is publicly available at the the Lake County Sheriff B of I.  The named complainant and person that turned over the photos is a former Staff member. 

This staff member was let go along with the individual that discovered the photos and immediately notified the individual that took them to law enforcement.

It's not a secret, but the Do Right Crowd was clamoring for credit as breaking the story the truth kind of got hidden.

Not to rehash the past, but looking at it from the outside, seems that the person determining who was to be axed had an agenda.

So, CL is the guy who went to the police before the deacons and Eddie could frame a cover up?

Binaca Chugger said:
So, CL is the guy who went to the police before the deacons and Eddie could frame a cover up?
There are three staff members mentioned on the initial report. Two were terminated, one was reassigned.

CW is the named complainant and appears to be the one bringing forth the information. A second staff member (later reassigned) accompanied CW. The third staff member found the photos while doing some work on the phone and offloaded a copy and went to CW with the discovery.

Hope that makes sense....

As far as the cover-up... I personally believe that it was in motion, but this derailed the plan and left EL with egg on his face.

qwerty said:
As far as the cover-up... I personally believe that it was in motion, but this derailed the plan and left EL with egg on his face.

And EL is applauded by FBCH deacons and members for holding the place together.  He still remains.

I must not know where to go... I can't find the reports online

qwerty said:
Binaca Chugger said:
There are three staff members mentioned on the initial report. Two were terminated, one was reassigned.

CW is the named complainant and appears to be the one bringing forth the information. A second staff member (later reassigned) accompanied CW. The third staff member found the photos while doing some work on the phone and offloaded a copy and went to CW with the discovery.

Hope that makes sense....

At least he didn't suffer any legal consequences.

He should be eternally greatful to CW that he wasn't implicated in a cover-up that could have resulted in legal unpleasantness.

CW pulled his fat out of the fire euphemistically speaking.

Well.  Maybe CW had some good in him after all.  I can't get over what he allowed to happen to my wife.  Bunch of pervs.

I was under the impression, that CW and the other two staff members went to the sheriff first thing Tuesday morning,  after everything had come to light  Monday evening at Mark Duff's house.

Also, the other staff member had already been reassigned, to his new role, the description of which led to him going with Wolf to the Sheriff.

The only Lapina cover up I have heard of, was before everything came to light that Monday night, when he was recommending a sabbatical, and Decoster was trying to twist his arm and  Marshall and Swanson thought he was engineering a cue.

Lapina, I heard, was butting heads with Duff over what needed to be done...Duff, who before all had come out, wanted Schaap gone.

Interesting side note, to those who say Lapina was trying to cover it up, Schaap was fighting for his job, saying Lapina was coming after him and turned Marshall and Swanson on Lapina....not actions you take against someone who is covering for you.

Exell said:
I was under the impression, that CW and the other two staff members went to the sheriff first thing Tuesday morning,  after everything had come to light  Monday evening at Mark Duff's house.

Also, the other staff member had already been reassigned, to his new role, the description of which led to him going with Wolf to the Sheriff.

The only Lapina cover up I have heard of, was before everything came to light that Monday night, when he was recommending a sabbatical, and Decoster was trying to twist his arm and  Marshall and Swanson thought he was engineering a cue.

Lapina, I heard, was butting heads with Duff over what needed to be done...Duff, who before all had come out, wanted Schaap gone.

Interesting side note, to those who say Lapina was trying to cover it up, Schaap was fighting for his job, saying Lapina was coming after him and turned Marshall and Swanson on Lapina....not actions you take against someone who is covering for you.

Report was indeed that following Tuesday after the meeting, and Lapina was adamant against going to the police with the evidence they had in their possession and wanted to handle it "internally".

My understanding of the events was that while Lapina was still in charge of the ministries, these two individuals went to the sheriff behind his back and that ticked him off.  Keep in mind, Lapina knew about the photos when he stepped behind the pulpit that Sunday morning and gave his speech to his own church family about the supposed fatigue, illness, and potential hiatus.

I think the other staff members name has come up previously posted, but correct me if I am wrong, but did he not get reassigned to insurance or some other place after this incident?  He used to be in the finance area, but Schaap was moving people around so much toward the end, there was hardly time to get the new sign on the office door before they were move elsewhere.

What is really ironic is that all the people so far mentioned were employees only.

They had no corporate authority. Only elected officials the deacons had the authority to take control of the situation.

At the time we did not have a clear procedure for handling the situation. No one knew what to do. We were so accustom to being dominated by the man of God. Call us wimps, you would be right.

Were this to happen now the pastor would immediately loose his membership in the corporation and the presidency of the corporation and by virtue of loosing his membership he would immediately cease to be the pastor.

The first order of reporting on any incident now is to the local authorities before telling anyone else.