Does God care what we wear at church?

Does this mean that you believe that there are general guidelines?
Did I say that anywhere? Seems strange that some of these "posters" show up just every now and then, and only when there's a chance to implicated as a troll? I'm not saying that Walt is a troll, but, I'm of the mind that many of the others might be...and who knows, it's very possible that "Walt" is as well...but, I sort of remember him from years ago.

When I hear such thoughts, I often wonder if the speaker is confessing his own weakness. How can he speak for all men?
He can't/couldn't...plain and simple. Hyles ended up being an IFB joke. He still is.

It seems clear from the book of James that churches had people that dressed well for church as well as people who could not dress well. Christians are commanded to treat brothers alike, regardless of how they are dressed.

Yes, the wealthy, masters, and the like. Do you think everyday working people dressed in fine attire? If so, you don't know much about history. Most only owned one or two sets of clothes...and they were probably pretty similar to working clothes of that era.
Having said that, it is invalid to take about a "dress code for church" - I don't know of any church that has a dress code to attend. A "dress code" is, for example, that one cannot enter the club without a tie. No one is barred from church because they don't dress like a well-off member or the pastor

Sad to say, there ARE some churches that don't let people into the service if they're not dressed in a "dress" fashion. I've seen it in Chicago, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Jacksonville, and several other places. Granted, not all were "Baptist" churches.
As Christians, everything we do should be to honor and glorify God who saved us... and that includes how we dress.

And just what would YOU consider, as far as clothing, that would be bringing honor and glory to God? A three piece suit and tie? Why not a pair of overalls and a plaid shirt?

Because God's word is a book for all time, He doesn't give 21st, or 20th century rules for dress. We have the general principles of apparel throughout the New Testament.
The church (also known as the house of God) is worthy of respect, because God started it and purchased it with the blood of His only begotten Son. I show respect by dressing up for church.
The "church" is the PEOPLE of God, and WE are the house of God. A church building is just a meeting place, nothing more.
So much of this issue is a heart matter.
How so? It could also be a "financial" matter. Many people can't afford high-class dress clothes. They could afford every day, nice working clothes, though.
Having a set-aside set of clothing for Sunday is a very old tradition... not just a US tradition.
Now, this is true. I heard my great-grandmother often refer to her "Sunday-go-to-meetings."

Jack Hyles - isn't he the clown who said that "all men are mental homosexuals?"

"Hyles taught that 'all men are mental homosexuals' in a sermon on the text in 2 Cor 12:13-15, and that the only difference between someone who has committed adultery and one who has not is that in the latter case the sin of adultery is 'in remission.' Hyles also says that adultery is not a sin, just a 'mistake.' In light of these lies and heresy, it is unsurprising that overwhelming evidence proves that Jack Hyles committed immoral acts. Nor is it surprising that his son, Dave Hyles, was a sexual monster or that many other leaders at First Baptist of Hammond and Hyles-Anderson College were serial adulterers and molesters and rapists; or that the pastor of First Baptist after Hyles, Jack Schapp [sic], was a child molester who was sentenced to prison for twelve years."

Jack Hyles - Part 1: The Manifold Evils and False Teachings of this Cultish Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (2020scripturalvision.com)

Last edited:

"Hyles taught that 'all men are mental homosexuals' in a sermon on the text in 2 Cor 12:13-15, and that the only difference between someone who has committed adultery and one who has not is that in the latter case the sin of adultery is 'in remission.' Hyles also says that adultery is not a sin, just a 'mistake.' In light of these lies and heresy, it is unsurprising that overwhelming evidence proves that Jack Hyles committed immoral acts. Nor is it surprising that his son, Dave Hyles, was a sexual monster or that many other leaders at First Baptist of Hammond and Hyles-Anderson College were serial adulterers and molesters and rapists; or that the pastor of First Baptist after Hyles, Jack Schapp [sic], was a child molester who was sentenced to prison for twelve years."

Jack Hyles - Part 1: The Manifold Evils and False Teachings of this Cultish Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (2020scripturalvision.com)
Realistically
all you're pointing out is that "bad communications corrupt good morals." It's a Biblical principle and is a good one to take note of. Jack Hyles was a twisted, perverted old man who assisted his son, who "learned what he lived" to propagate the same evils he was committing in the first place, and worse. His son-in-law, Jack Schaap, never really had much character, either, and I could NEVER understand how he got to be pastor of FBCH. The many preachers I know of who were from FBCH that continued on with the sexual impurity that was learned at FBCH/HAC were so pervasive here in Tennessee that many churches will no longer hire HAC grads as pastors. Though the college shouldn't be held responsible, as God has also brought many good pastors out of HAC, the leadership itself should have been taken in hand years ago and sexual impurity dealt with immediately, which it was not.

All men are “mental homosexuals”?? What does that even mean? Was he saying that all heterosexual men secretly crave homosexual relationships? I’m not trying to be funny…I really don’t understand what he meant.

All men are “mental homosexuals”?? What does that even mean? Was he saying that all heterosexual men secretly crave homosexual relationships? I’m not trying to be funny…I really don’t understand what he meant.
From what I gathered from people who knew him well, he thought ALL men had homosexual tendencies....personally, I tend to believe he thought so because he himself had homosexual tendencies.

Jack Hyles on "mental homosexuality:"

"Hyles taught that men want to be loved by their wives just as a man loves and treats others. He called this 'mental homosexuality.'. . . Hyles preached at a recent pastor’s school that a man wants to be loved by his wife just as a man loves and treats others. Hyles called this 'mental homosexuality.' He even taught this in one of his books." Huk, if you still don't understand it, don't feel bad - I don't understand it either.

Beware of the Wolves in Sheepskin The Snakes that Run Our Churches Exposed The Truth about the Jack Hyles Pastor Army (christianjournal.net)

Jack Hyles on "mental homosexuality:"

Hyles preached at a recent pastor’s school that a man wants to be loved by his wife just as a man loves and treats others. Hyles called this 'mental homosexuality.' He even taught this in one of his books." Huk, if you still don't understand it, don't feel bad - I don't understand it either.

Sounds like a needlessly complex way of saying Hyles taught that some men want their wives to behave like men.

That is probably the best thing I have seen said on the topic. You show your respect by dressing up. Our pastor for 15 years always wore a suit, and he explained that when he approached the pulpit, he wanted there to be a certain weight attached to the preaching of the word of God.
That's a pretty stilted view of what God considers important. It's clear that he doesn't care about what we wear, but about our hearing. He doesn't care what a person is wearing while preaching, either...but what is preached. Why is such importance placed on such minor things? Strange to me.

It seems clear from the book of James that churches had people that dressed well for church as well as people who could not dress well. Christians are commanded to treat brothers alike, regardless of how they are dressed.
Having said that, it is invalid to take about a "dress code for church" - I don't know of any church that has a dress code to attend. A "dress code" is, for example, that one cannot enter the club without a tie. No one is barred from church because they don't dress like a well-off member or the pastor.
As Christians, everything we do should be to honor and glorify God who saved us... and that includes how we dress.
Because God's word is a book for all time, He doesn't give 21st, or 20th century rules for dress. We have the general principles of apparel throughout the New Testament.
The church (also known as the house of God) is worthy of respect, because God started it and purchased it with the blood of His only begotten Son. I show respect by dressing up for church.
So much of this issue is a heart matter.
Having a set-aside set of clothing for Sunday is a very old tradition... not just a US tradition.
Modesty is the over-riding principle, and assuming that principle is observed then all the rest of the hand-wringing observations are nothing more than majoring on the minors and opening the door in the congregation to censorious and schismatic attitudes.