Does God Hold Us Accountable for Voting?

Dr. Huk-N-Duck

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
A conversation from a different thread got me thinking about this question. We know, nearly universally, Democrats represent abortion, LGBTQ rights, etc. Most, though certainly not all, Republicans are anti-abortion and support more traditional views of marriage and family.

I understand not all Republicans “walk the talk” in their private lives. I also understand that some Democrats support anti-Biblical legislation, but live with decency in their private lives. However, focusing solely on what laws they support, is it a “sin” to cast a vote for someone who you fully understand is going to vote to approve or condone topics like abortion and the LGBTQ indoctrination of children?

I don't think we will stand before God and give account of how we voted or whether we voted. It will rank quite low on our LORD's list of priorities anyway.

I believe it is stupid NOT TO VOTE when you have an opportunity to do so in order to impact the world in which you live and not take for granted the freedoms you yet have!

When voting, my focus is upon two things: The protection of the innocent and vulnerable in our society and whether they respect religious freedom and liberty.

As far as foreign policy goes, I want them to project these values as they influence other world leaders making them cornerstone to diplomatic relations. As much as possible, I want them to keep us out of matters that do not pertain to us and not involve our servicemen and women in conflicts that they have absolutely no intention to win!

Regarding the former, there is no doubt which political party is more aligned with these core values. Regarding the latter, things become significantly more convoluted.

God did not command us to VOTE. Our constitutional representative republic form of government is found nowhere in the scriptures. Paul knew nothing of voting when he penned Romans 13. I am THANKFUL TO GOD for our form of government nonetheless and we should never take it for granted! God did command us to PRAY for the powers that be and this commandment is not conditional upon which political party happens to be in power!

I don't think we will stand before God and give account of how we voted or whether we voted. It will rank quite low on our LORD's list of priorities anyway.

I believe it is stupid NOT TO VOTE when you have an opportunity to do so in order to impact the world in which you live and not take for granted the freedoms you yet have!

When voting, my focus is upon two things: The protection of the innocent and vulnerable in our society and whether they respect religious freedom and liberty.

As far as foreign policy goes, I want them to project these values as they influence other world leaders making them cornerstone to diplomatic relations. As much as possible, I want them to keep us out of matters that do not pertain to us and not involve our servicemen and women in conflicts that they have absolutely no intention to win!

Regarding the former, there is no doubt which political party is more aligned with these core values. Regarding the latter, things become significantly more convoluted.

God did not command us to VOTE. Our constitutional representative republic form of government is found nowhere in the scriptures. Paul knew nothing of voting when he penned Romans 13. I am THANKFUL TO GOD for our form of government nonetheless and we should never take it for granted! God did command us to PRAY for the powers that be and this commandment is not conditional upon which political party happens to be in power!
Just clarifying: you don’t think a Christian voting for a candidate who openly supports legal efforts to kill babies isn’t considered a sin on the part of the voter. Is that accurate of your belief?

God is neither Republican nor Democrat. We in the USA are so steeped in our current two party system, that is how we view politics: you're either A or B. As believers, we ought to know better.

Also, know that our salvation as a nation will not come from a politician even if he's the most godly one imaginable. Godliness in the halls of government is no substitute for personal godliness in our homes.

As for believers voting, it comes down to what the individual has by faith coveted with God. I cannot speak for where your convictions are even if I seriously wonder what your priorities are based by whom you claim to support. Whatsoever is not of faith is sin, so in your voting, I can only say make sure your conscience is clear, providing you have not seared your conscience by pride.

Finally, we do well to remember that our choice of candidates is merely a reflection of where society is.

Last edited:
Just clarifying: you don’t think a Christian voting for a candidate who openly supports legal efforts to kill babies isn’t considered a sin on the part of the voter. Is that accurate of your belief?
All I can say is I could never do so according to my conscience. I could not comprehend why a "Christian" would ever vote for a baby murderer unless they are not actually who or what they claim to be. This is especially true if there is another candidate who is "Pro-Life."

Now if only "Baby Murderers" are on the ballot, what is a Christian to do? They can vote for the "Lesser of the evils" or they could simply abstain from voting. I would leave this as a matter of personal conscience.

I can fully understand the position of many of the Christian "Never Trumper" crowd and why they could not consciously vote for him. I truly respect their position and their stand. What I cannot understand (or respect) is when they choose to vote for someone who is a TRAITOR and the SWORN ENEMY of everything they stand for!

Then again, I do acknowledge they are voting for what America TRULY DESERVES and I believe that the knothead occupying the White House right now is clear evidence that our nation is under DIVINE JUDGMENT and is doomed!

I will add that 50 years ago in his Thru The Bible messages, J. Vernon McGee observed that the decline of a nation begins with personal apostasy, which brings on moral awfulness and culminates in political anarchy. He saw that in the 1970s. How much truer it is today!

I will add that 50 years ago in his Thru The Bible messages, J. Vernon McGee observed that the decline of a nation begins with personal apostasy, which brings on moral awfulness and culminates in political anarchy. He saw that in the 1970s. How much truer it is today!
I say to ya, my friend, he got that right!

A conversation from a different thread got me thinking about this question. We know, nearly universally, Democrats represent abortion, LGBTQ rights, etc. Most, though certainly not all, Republicans are anti-abortion and support more traditional views of marriage and family.

I understand not all Republicans “walk the talk” in their private lives. I also understand that some Democrats support anti-Biblical legislation, but live with decency in their private lives. However, focusing solely on what laws they support, is it a “sin” to cast a vote for someone who you fully understand is going to vote to approve or condone topics like abortion and the LGBTQ indoctrination of children?
i believe that where God grants or allows people to have certain rights and freedoms.....(like the right to vote and select our own leaders)...... He expects them to use those rights wisely and responsibly...... ..

but does that mean God will hold people accountable if they fail to make wise use of their votes?... (i.e. refusing to vote.... voting for an anti-christian candidate out of spite or hatred of the other guy.... ..throwing their vote away on a 3rd party dream candidate who has no chance of winning)..... ... .. i don;t know.....

but i do believe He will allow those people to suffer the consequences of their foolish actions.... it happened in 1992 when conservatives who were in the majority, allowed themselves to be split between the main candidate and a 3rd party.... ... and many of them voted for ross perot knowing full well he had no real chance to win....... the result was the election of bill clinton and the nation suffered......

I guess my big hang-up is specifically abortion. Maybe I’m completely wrong, but it seems that if a Christian knowingly voted for a candidate who signs and upholds this policy, that Christian is a minor participant in the existence of abortion and bears some responsibility for its practice. Now, if you’ve only got two candidates to choose from who both support it, I can fully understand going third party or choosing the “lesser of two evils.”

I guess my big hang-up is specifically abortion. Maybe I’m completely wrong, but it seems that if a Christian knowingly voted for a candidate who signs and upholds this policy, that Christian is a minor participant in the existence of abortion and bears some responsibility for its practice. Now, if you’ve only got two candidates to choose from who both support it, I can fully understand going third party or choosing the “lesser of two evils.”
As I said, I can understand why a Christian "Never-Trumper" may stay home or just abstain from voting for any of the presidential candidates. What I cannot understand is a Christian "Never-trumper" going to the polls and voting for Hillary or Sleepy Joe over Donald Trump! They got some "Splaining" to do!

I guess my big hang-up is specifically abortion. Maybe I’m completely wrong, but it seems that if a Christian knowingly voted for a candidate who signs and upholds this policy, that Christian is a minor participant in the existence of abortion and bears some responsibility for its pr cactice. Now, if you’ve only got two candidates to choose from who both support it, I can fully understand going third party or choosing the “lesser of two evils.”
the way i have voted in the past when both candidates were in favor of abortions... (in both local and national elections).., was to see which one of them had the most conservative policy and would support the most preservation of human life.... ...i have never voted for a 3rd party as all too often it was only likely to insure that the person with the most liberal abortion policy would win..... and if i had thrown my vote away in an election like that i would have felt guilty as if i enabled a more liberal pro-abortionist to win by default.....

2016 and 2020 were the first presidential elections i remember or had even heard of where one of the candidates was not only in favor of seeing abortion outlawed but promised to appoint supreme judges that would be likely to outlaw it.. donald trump... ... he kept that promise plus a few others.. ..... and while i don;t like much about his private life or some of his antics either ...he was never the less the best friend to christians as a president, that we have ever had.. .... and i seriously don;t understand a christian who would refuse to vote for him - unless there was another like minded candidate who had a viable chance to win..... ... but that;s just me....... ..

As I said, I can understand why a Christian "Never-Trumper" may stay home or just abstain from voting for any of the presidential candidates. What I cannot understand is a Christian "Never-trumper" going to the polls and voting for Hillary or Sleepy Joe over Donald Trump! They got some "Splaining" to do!
I don't wish to tell someone what to do but with our two party system, failure to support one candidate results in support for the other. I look at abstaining from voting like that famous quote: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I have not voted for a presidential candidate since 1992 as much as I have voted against the other.

Clearly if someone decides not to vote, I better not hear them complain about the outcome. I'll definitely take that person down a notch.

However, focusing solely on what laws they support, is it a “sin” to cast a vote for someone who you fully understand is going to vote to approve or condone topics like abortion and the LGBTQ indoctrination of children?
Voting is a moral choice, so of course God will hold us morally accountable for how we vote.

I'm not sure however, if it's as simple as "don't vote for Democrats, they stand for evil" (as true as that happens to be).

Rather, I think we are bound to cast our vote in the manner that be the most spiritually expedient, for the sake of the Kingdom, and for righteousness on earth. Which means the righteous vote might well be for an absolute jerk of a president--because, whatever his personal failings might be, he's not going to stand in the way of righteous lawmakers trying to pass good and just laws.

Whatever Paul thought of Nero--and we can be pretty certain it wasn't positive--he still said to pray for those in power (1 Tim. 2:2), particularly that they would leave the disciples in peace. The wickedest leader might still be the one who leaves the church alone and lets it go about its own business.

Voting is a moral choice, so of course God will hold us morally accountable for how we vote.

I'm not sure however, if it's as simple as "don't vote for Democrats, they stand for evil" (as true as that happens to be).

Rather, I think we are bound to cast our vote in the manner that be the most spiritually expedient, for the sake of the Kingdom, and for righteousness on earth. Which means the righteous vote might well be for an absolute jerk of a president--because, whatever his personal failings might be, he's not going to stand in the way of righteous lawmakers trying to pass good and just laws.

Whatever Paul thought of Nero--and we can be pretty certain it wasn't positive--he still said to pray for those in power (1 Tim. 2:2), particularly that they would leave the disciples in peace. The wickedest leader might still be the one who leaves the church alone and lets it go about its own business.
Excellent. Thank you. This was what was in my brain but I was struggling to figure out how to word it.

I don't wish to tell someone what to do but with our two party system, failure to support one candidate results in support for the other. I look at abstaining from voting like that famous quote: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I have not voted for a presidential candidate since 1992 as much as I have voted against the other.

Clearly if someone decides not to vote, I better not hear them complain about the outcome. I'll definitely take that person down a notch.
In 2016, I voted AGAINST Hillary Clinton

In 2020, I actually voted FOR Trump!

And just whom do they owe this "splaining" outside of God? Surely not any of us.

And just whom do they owe this "splaining" outside of God? Surely not any of us.
Hitler will not have to answer to me for all of his atrocities so what's your point?

But what about one who is called a "Brother" who brings shame and reproach upon the name of the LORD and sullies the reputation of his or her Church congregation? What if one were like Judas who BETRAYED the Lord and his fellow believers? Do you not think the congregation would deserve some sort of explanation?

Seriously, if you are going to call yourself a "Christian" and vote for some senile knucklehead like O'Biden who has proven himself to be an enemy of all who are IN CHRIST, I'd really like to know why you would think it such a great idea!

In 2016, I voted AGAINST Hillary Clinton

In 2020, I actually voted FOR Trump!

In 2016, I gladly voted for Trump - and against the embassy-abandoning liar.
In 2020, I gladly voted for Trump - and against China's puppet - and his race and sex chosen side-kick.
In 2024, I will gladly vote for Mickey Mouse or WHOEVER runs against Chairman Biden and Madame Harris and their gang.

I am willing to be accountable to God for the way I vote. But I am not so sure I want to be accountable to every Christian who wants to judge me on that issue. Over the years, I have been criticized by Christians for being too involved in politics, and for not being involved enough. The pietists say, "politics is dirty, stay out of it, just read your Bible and pray." I have never believed that and have always been involved in politics, only to be condemned for not doing enough.

I voted for Bush in 2000 and 2004 but of course that was not good enough. I was very heavily criticized by fundies for not being blindly loyal enough to Bush, and for not supporting his disastrous war in Iraq.

When Obama won in 2008, that was blamed on me even though I voted for McCain. An IFB preacher told me it was my fault that Obama won, because I had not been doing enough to promote Rush Limbaugh. I thought Limbaugh was a boorish jerk and I never listened to his entertainment show, so I didn't understand why I had a Christian duty to promote him.

I voted for Trump in 2016 and 2020 but I do not support him now, so of course that gets me in trouble with the Trumpie fanatics.

I believe Christians should vote for the candidates who are pro-life and conservative, but I try not to sit in judgment on those who don't see it my way. I am not sure that we have any scriptural basis to be judging and condemning each other over the issue of voting and political involvement, which perhaps comes under the principle of Christian liberty and personal convictions. I don't see the scriptural basis for some of the political obsessions of some fundies, such as, support for the care and feeding of the Military-Industrial Complex, support for pre-emptive "wars of choice," total support for the Israeli state (why didn't Christ and the Apostles ever bring that up?), the cult worship of figures like Bush and Trump. Let everyone be persuaded in his own mind and follow their conscience on political matters, but maybe we should fight and condemn each other a little less on such issues.

Hitler will not have to answer to me for all of his atrocities so what's your point?

But what about one who is called a "Brother" who brings shame and reproach upon the name of the LORD and sullies the reputation of his or her Church congregation? What if one were like Judas who BETRAYED the Lord and his fellow believers? Do you not think the congregation would deserve some sort of explanation?

Seriously, if you are going to call yourself a "Christian" and vote for some senile knucklehead like O'Biden who has proven himself to be an enemy of all who are IN CHRIST, I'd really like to know why you would think it such a great idea!
Straw man argument with Hitler being brought into the conversation.
Unless the man is a member of the certain congregation you mention, he's not accountable to anyone but God...and even then, I don't believe he's accountable to the congregation, because it's not a case for the church. Sorry, I just don't buy your position.
I'm a "Christian" and I never voted for Mr. Biden. Your point?