Does this article propagate idolatry?

rsc2a said:
That's not what I am saying. I'm saying that, ultimately, all authority rests with God. Whether we acknowledge it or not is completely irrelevant. Whether we want to make something else co-equal to God is irrelevant. God is the ultimate and final authority in all things.

And what authority do you base your lines of reasoning?  Why should others be persuaded that your opinion is what matters?

ALAYMAN said:
rsc2a said:
That's not what I am saying. I'm saying that, ultimately, all authority rests with God. Whether we acknowledge it or not is completely irrelevant. Whether we want to make something else co-equal to God is irrelevant. God is the ultimate and final authority in all things.

And what authority do you base your lines of reasoning?  Why should others be persuaded that your opinion is what matters?

He is a member of the body of Christ. 

That is enough for his opinion to matter.  You don't have to agree with it.

[quote author=ALAYMAN]And what authority do you base your lines of reasoning?  Why should others be persuaded that your opinion is what matters?[/quote]

Depends on the item being reasoned.

- If the question is about the trajectory of a baseball, I'll appeal to the laws of physics.
- If it's about Thomas Jefferson's beliefs, I'll appeal to his writings.
- If it is on baking cookies, I'll appeal to a cookbook.
- If it is about the number for a mechanic, the yellow pages.
- If it is about the canonicity of Scripture, I'll appeal to the community of faith as guided by the Spirit across the centuries.
- If it's about God's revealed plan through history whereby He is restoring all things to Himself, I will appeal to Scripture (primarily).

--- And over, above, and through it all, God is still the ultimate authority in all things.

rsc2a said:

So reason has become your final authority.

The bottom line is that you are splitting hairs seven ways from sundown.  God is the final authority, and by extension, His word is the means by which you have that fact revealed to you.  And as been noted numerous times already, evangelical Christians for centruries have appealed to His word as their basis for faith and practice for final authority.  It's nothing novel to make that statement and believe the validity of that notion.

ALAYMAN said:
rsc2a said:

The bottom line is that you are splitting hairs seven ways from sundown.  God is the final authority, and by extension, His word is the means by which you have that fact revealed to you.  And as been noted numerous times already, evangelical Christians for centruries have appealed to His word as their basis for faith and practice for final authority.  It's nothing novel to make that statement and believe the validity of that notion.

Cannot the New Testament Pharisees make the same claim? History, precedence and religious tradition does not truth make.

ALAYMAN said:
rsc2a said:

Perhaps...you do realize that reason/wisdom and God have been synonymous for most of Christianity and Judaism for thousands of years?

[quote author=ALAYMAN]The bottom line is that you are splitting hairs seven ways from sundown.[/quote]

Recognizing that a phone book is a really stupid place to look for Newton's Laws of Motion isn't "splitting hairs".

[quote author=ALAYMAN]God is the final authority...[/quote]

Yay! You're back to agreeing with me.

[quote author=ALAYMAN]...and by extension, His word is the means by which you have that fact revealed to you.[/quote]

Or not...unless you're back to saying that Scripture = God, a statement I would also disagree with.

[quote author=ALAYMAN]And as been noted numerous times already, evangelical Christians for centruries have appealed to His word as their basis for faith and practice for final authority.  It's nothing novel to make that statement and believe the validity of that notion.[/quote]

As I have pointed out with every source both you and TB have provided, their position is much more nuanced than that. They all recognize God as the final authority and state that the only reason Scripture has any authority at all is because God has invested it with His authority...in other words, there is nothing inherently authoritative about anything except for the Deity, of which Scripture is not.

rsc2a said:
Recognizing that a phone book is a really stupid place to look for Newton's Laws of Motion isn't "splitting hairs".

Now you tell me.  I might not have failed physics if I had known that earlier. 

Tarheel Baptist said:
Castor Muscular said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Can I get an 'Amen'?
:)

You're such a stereotype.

As are you.

I don't know about that.  I don't know anyone like me, praise God.  But you're a dime a dozen.  I can throw a dart at a map of baptist churches and find a pastor just like you. 

Smellin Coffee said:
The acceptance of a 66-book canon is also a practice of "cherry picking", just from a different "basket".  :)

that doesn't make any sense.  the formulation of the canon wasn't a process of "cherry picking".  I'm thinking you dont  fully understand how the canon came to be.

Let me ask you a question, do you believe *ANY* book of the bible is inspired? if so, did you just "cherry pick" it?

Anyone who thinks they "just believe the Bible" (i.e "The Bible says...") without acknowledging that they are seeing it through their own biases, cultural lenses, worldview, interpretations, etc.. is just deluding themselves.

rsc2a said:
Anyone who thinks they "just believe the Bible" (i.e "The Bible says...") without acknowledging that they are seeing it through their own biases, cultural lenses, worldview, interpretations, etc.. is just deluding themselves.

we all have presuppositions, including you.  what's the point?

Stephen said:
Smellin Coffee said:
The acceptance of a 66-book canon is also a practice of "cherry picking", just from a different "basket".  :)

that doesn't make any sense.  the formulation of the canon wasn't a process of "cherry picking".  I'm thinking you dont  fully understand how the canon came to be.

Let me ask you a question, do you believe *ANY* book of the bible is inspired? if so, did you just "cherry pick" it?

To which canon are you referring? Hebrew? Aramaic? Greek? Latin? Syriac? German? English? Swedish? Greek Orthodox? Church of England? Roman Catholic? What year are you using to view the canon? The field of view is enormous.

Stephen said:
rsc2a said:

we all have presuppositions, including you.  what's the point?

That people who deny this are deluded?  Anything "the Bible says" is seen through our bias.

rsc2a said:
That people who deny this are deluded?  Anything "the Bible says" is seen through our bias.

doesn't make their interpretation false does it?

Castor Muscular said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Castor Muscular said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Can I get an 'Amen'?
:)

You're such a stereotype.

As are you.

I don't know about that.  I don't know anyone like me, praise God.  But you're a dime a dozen.  I can throw a dart at a map of baptist churches and find a pastor just like you.

There are plenty who share your  philosophy and 'belief system'.
I can throw a dart at a map of mathematicians and find one who believes
2+2= 4. 

From my idolatrous bibliolator friend RC Sproul--
“Sola Scriptura, like the Scriptures themselves, recognizes that God has gifted the church with teachers and pastors. It recognizes that the church has progressed and reached consensus on critical issues in and through the ancient ecumenical creeds. It affirms with vigor that we are all standing on the shoulders of giants. But it also affirms that even these giants have feet of clay. And there is where the Bible does in the end teach sola Scriptura. Sola Scriptura is a biblical doctrine not because the Bible says so. That would be a tautology- the kind of argument we find in that collection of lies the Book of Mormon. Instead the Bible is our alone final authority because it alone is the Word of God. It has been attested, authenticated, by God Himself. ….”