Does your church have a common translation?

FSSL

Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Reaction score
Over the years, churches I ministered in had a common translation...

IFB church 1988: KJV
IFB church 1991: KJV
IFB church 1995: KJV, changed in 1997: NIV
Mildly IFB (Bible church) 2003: ESV
Southern Baptist 2014: various, NIV, ESV and New Century... no common version

The pastor of the church I currently attend preaches primarily out of the NIV, although sometimes he will use the Amplified Bible to help drive home a point. I follow along in my HCSB Bible.

Previous church used the NASB.

:)

Twisted said:

You have not answered my questions from downstairs about the KJVO position.
Do you consider the ESV or NASV to be perverted Bibles and therefore it is sinful to use them in public worship? Was there NO preservation of God's Word until 1611?

These are sincere questions as I have never understood the KJVO position these matters specifically...or anything about that position generally.

Our pew Bible is NIV. For the most part, that is what is read from the pulpit as well (with the notable exception of our previous senior pastor, who preferred to preach from an ESV).

Tarheel Baptist said:

Do you consider the ESV or NASV to be perverted Bibles and therefore it is sinful to use them in public worship?  YES

Was there NO preservation of God's Word until 1611?  YES.  There was.

Twisted said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Do you consider the ESV or NASV to be perverted Bibles and therefore it is sinful to use them in public worship?  YES

That is as scholarly an argument for your position as I have ever heard.
Thank you.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Twisted said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Thank you.

Hope you noticed I did it in the "red letter" style.

Twisted said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Twisted said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Thank you.

Hope you noticed I did it in the "red letter" style.

I did, indeed:)

I believe the KJV is the preserved word of God for English speaking people.

Since I believe this it would be wrong for me to use anything else.
I believe before God allowed the bible to be translated into English and other languages it was solely preserved in the original languages. I also think this limited the number of people who could read and understand it. I respect your right to choose which bible God intends us to us and hope you respect mine.

I also believe it's the gospel of Jesus Christ that's saves and not the KJV or any other bible. People have been saved since the beginning of man the same way, through faith in the only sacrifice that can atone for sins. O.T. man looked forward through faith to the cross just as we look back through faith. It's not a KJV issue it's a gospel issue. 

Ransom said:
Our pew Bible is NIV. For the most part, that is what is read from the pulpit as well (with the notable exception of our previous senior pastor, who preferred to preach from an ESV).

By doing such, your church and Pastor are committing, aiding and abetting SIN!
Do you not realize that?

sword said:
I believe the KJV is the preserved word of God for English speaking people.

Since I believe this it would be wrong for me to use anything else.
I believe before God allowed the bible to be translated into English and other languages it was solely preserved in the original languages. I also think this limited the number of people who could read and understand it. I respect your right to choose which bible God intends us to us and hope you respect mine.

I also believe it's the gospel of Jesus Christ that's saves and not the KJV or any other bible. People have been saved since the beginning of man the same way, through faith in the only sacrifice that can atone for sins. O.T. man looked forward through faith to the cross just as we look back through faith. It's not a KJV issue it's a gospel issue.

I think you are exactly right...however the 'respecting your right to choose' in this instance is not hindered by those of us non KJVO people. We don't accuse you of sin.  :)

Tarheel Baptist said:
By doing such, your church and Pastor are committing, aiding and abetting SIN!
Do you not realize that?

On the contrary, making KJV-onlyists uncomfortable is a Christian duty (and I know we've had a few).

Yes, the KJV obviously. Leaving aside the whole discussion - which I find mostly a waste of time here - there are a few good reasons to emphasize the entire church using the same version. It allows for corporate reading of Scripture, which is a good thing. It allows for corporate singing of Scripture, which is a good thing. It provides a standard for memorization, which may not rise to the level of good specifically in a version sense, but is helpful. But most importantly, it allows the preacher to drill down into a text/phrase/word as he is preaching, and have everyone be on the same page, literally. That is priceless, IMHO.

Tom Brennan said:
Yes, the KJV obviously. Leaving aside the whole discussion - which I find mostly a waste of time here - there are a few good reasons to emphasize the entire church using the same version. It allows for corporate reading of Scripture, which is a good thing. It allows for corporate singing of Scripture, which is a good thing. It provides a standard for memorization, which may not rise to the level of good specifically in a version sense, but is helpful. But most importantly, it allows the preacher to drill down into a text/phrase/word as he is preaching, and have everyone be on the same page, literally. That is priceless, IMHO.

I think you make a valid point.
We also have a common version that we use...specifically for commonality with scripture memorization in our children's program.

A simple search shows about 130 or so different versions of the Christian Bible. A simple search shows some have more words and many have less words. I may not have the right Bible that God intends for me to have, but I find it hard to believe 130 different versions are all the words of God. God says he will preserve his word not his just his thoughts. He is also not the author of confusion.

Do you all believe the Bible you use only contains the general thoughts and ideas and not the actual words of God. If I believed that I would study Hebrew, Biblical Aramaic and maybe some Greek and only use copies of the original text to study from. If I did not believe God initiated and inspired the translation of his word into English, then how could I trust what it says and depend on it for salvation and direction in my life?

http://www.apbrown2.net/web/TranslationComparisonChart.htm

I preach and teach from the NKJV...the Scripture on the screen is NKJV...the pew Bibles are NKJV.  Our people bring whatever translation they prefer.

Tom Brennan said:

When I was visiting different churches a few years ago, searching for a new church home, I visited one where the pastor preached from the NIV. At the beginning of the sermon, the pastor would tell those in the congregation who didn't have a Bible with them, but wanted to follow along, to raise their hand(s) and an usher would bring them a Bible. It was the exact same Bible as the pastor was using. During the sermon, the pastor would say, when referencing a Scripture verse, "that's on page (insert whichever page number here) in your blue Bible" (the Bibles had blue covers). I did find that rather neat.

:)

Yes, the pastor preaches from the KJV, and that' what's in the pews as well.  All Sunday School lessons and kids programs use the KJV.

Now, what people use at home... that's not enforced.

Walt said:
Now, what people use at home... that's not enforced.

And why not?

Next you'll be saying there is no control over what they watch on TV.