Dolly's new song World on Fire

Powerful! Dolly's usually pretty good about getting to the heart of the matter! Another hit!

I am a old-school kind of guy in a lot of ways, music included . Yes, it was catchy, and it will be a hit, but I like classic country and would druther hear Coat of Many Colors or Jolene.

I am a old-school kind of guy in a lot of ways, music included . Yes, it was catchy, and it will be a hit, but I like classic country and would druther hear Coat of Many Colors or Jolene.
The story behind this song is that she was inducted into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame so she felt like she needed to do a rock song to make her induction legit.

The story behind this song is that she was inducted into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame so she felt like she needed to do a rock song to make her induction legit.
Haha, more evidence of the world passing this aging dude by. I heard about that kerfuffle at that time. She said "no thank you" to the HoF at first then eventually acquiesced. I didn't know that was the song she performed, but I had heard that for the R&R HoF she did something of a cross-over, just didn't know THAT was the song she offered up.

Yes. Catchy. A standard run of the mill protest song. I did appreciate how she still belts it out though.

I like Dolly, but that song is a hard no for me. Not feeling it…

i would never make it past the first few seconds of a dolly parton song... ...regardless of the musical genre she was trying to perform in - just the sound of her singing alone triggers an immediate grimace for me, followed by the barf reflex - but then most music in the genre she is best known for does me that way.... just not to that extent or that fast.......

What do you think about Dolly's new song?

Not bad, as songs go, but her voice is incongruous with the style.

If she needs to record a rock song to legitimize her induction into the Rock HoF, why is she being inducted at all? "9 to 5" barely counts.

i would never make it past the first few seconds of a dolly parton song... ..
Don't.ever.speak.to.me.again!

😁

.regardless of the musical genre she was trying to perform in - just the sound of her singing alone triggers an immediate grimace for me, followed by the barf reflex - but then most music in the genre she is best known for does me that way.... just not to that extent or that fast.......

So you really like country music eh? 😂

Not bad, as songs go, but her voice is incongruous with the style.
I heartily agree. Her voice is strictly country.
If she needs to record a rock song to legitimize her induction into the Rock HoF, why is she being inducted at all? "9 to 5" barely counts.
I think they felt they owed her something because of her years of service and bringing people into other genre's who have crossed over.

Dolly could sing Twinkle Twinkle little star and all the old dudes who love country would faint. It ain't her voice, boys.

Don't.ever.speak.to.me.again!

😁

So you really like country music eh? 😂
well..... ..if i had to pick between country music and rap.... and i mean seriously forced to make a choice at gun point.... then i would pick country over rap - and i actually do like some folk music... but if the folk or country performer has poor finger discipline and slides his or her fingers on the guitar string.. rather than picking them up properly.... and makes that horrendous screeching sound between notes and chords*.. ..😖.. that some listeners... (long deprived of real music).. have actually started to accept as part of the music.. 😵‍💫.... then i guess i would just have to let them shoot me....:confused:

*the thing i;m talking about is the "musical" equivalent of hearing fingernails on a chalk board, ...very prevalent in certain styles and genres of "music" now days...(especially folk and country music).. - which is commonly inflicted on slightly inebriated patrons of clubs and bars that can;t afford an accomplished musician..

and i seriously don;t understand how anything so irritating to the nerves and ears... (which is nothing but a sign of lazy guitar playing and has caused many a hopeful classical guitarist to fail their auditions) ...could have actually made it;s way into modern record albums and soundtracks.. .... but it has.... ....... and unfortunately what usualy comes with it is an equally lazy style of singing that makes the singer sound as drunk as his or her audience, or 3 days without sleep.... .... but far more scary and troubling than the fact those 2 things are taking over music.. is the fact i;ve seen many people write reviews of songs flooded with them and declare they were beautiful ..soul stirring... and "emotionally uplifting pieces of work"... 😲 ....

it all makes me very thankful for premium noise cancelling head phones.. ..and equally thankful i own 2 pair of them in case one of them breaks.... ;)

Last edited:
I’m low IQ in a lot of ways, and definitely in the ways of music theory and analysis. I come from the K.I.S.S. School (keep it simple stupid), which is why country/folk appeals to me so much.😁 Stuff like Willie Nelson, Hank Williams and Junior, Don Williams, Merle Haggard, Tom T Hall, Alabama, Alan Jackson, Cash, Dolly, etc. I don’t think they’re generally guilty of the stuff you’re referring to, and I don’t listen to New Country, so not sure about those artists.

I’m low IQ in a lot of ways, and definitely in the ways of music theory and analysis. I come from the K.I.S.S. School (keep it simple stupid), which is why country/folk appeals to me so much.😁 Stuff like Willie Nelson, Hank Williams and Junior, Don Williams, Merle Haggard, Tom T Hall, Alabama, Alan Jackson, Cash, Dolly, etc. I don’t think they’re generally guilty of the stuff you’re referring to, and I don’t listen to New Country, so not sure about those artists.
i don;t even know who the musicians are most of the time.... and sometimes i even like the way a song with an accoustic guitar in it starts out.... but the moment i hear the unmistakable screetching of fingers being dragged on the strings i turn it off..... many a youtube music video has gotten thumbs down dislikes from me over that.... ..and then i generally just avoid music of the performer who did that from then on....

one of the worst i have heard recently is from a guy named lord huron and his song called
the night we met - which everybody told me was a beautiful song..... but within seconds i was reaching for the barf can.... and it wasn;t because of the song itself - it was due to his poor finger discipline and lazy way of dragging his fingers up and down the strings... irritating in ways i can;t describe... ... ....it;s really sad... it might have been a good song if not for that.....

some of the artists you mentioned wrote songs i liked.... but even then i would never bring their music into church or consider it inspirational.... it;s just entertainment... ... and it;s all subjective like you said...... .... but dolly partons voice reminds me of something, and puts an image into my head, that i don;t even want to mention now.... i almost did earlier but am glad now i didn;t.... it was a much more opinionated and abrasive version of my younger self trying to chime in.... had to squelch it... ;)

Last edited:
I listened to that Huron song, and liked it. Like you, didn’t like the screeching lazy-finger sound on the guitar though.

Their genre is Indie Rock, some of which I’m okay with, mostly not. Definitely a far cry from Classic Country, but neither CC nor IR would be tolerable in a worship setting. Matter of fact, country music, which I generally have affinity for, is all too often used as a style in lots of Southern Gospel, and a quick turn-off to me.

Dolly could sing Twinkle Twinkle little star and all the old dudes who love country would faint. It ain't her voice, boys.
Yeah, it's her voice. She has a perfect voice for bluegrass.

I may be the only singularly heterosexual male in the world not particularly attracted to Dolly's other, er. feminine wiles, and I'm fine with that.

Yeah, it's her voice. She has a perfect voice for bluegrass.

I may be the only singularly heterosexual male in the world not particularly attracted to Dolly's other, er. feminine wiles, and I'm fine with that.
I was kidding.