Dr. Evans

Jo

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I understand Joy Evans is very active in trying to get laws changed regarding the statute of limitations regarding victims of rape and/or clergy abuse.  I also believe she has not kept silent about Dave. See change.org.

Has Dr. Evans ever publicly addressed it?

I believe if you search this forum you may find the post ... I believe Dr Evans has remained silent

Jo said:
I understand Joy Evans is very active in trying to get laws changed regarding the statute of limitations regarding victims of rape and/or clergy abuse.  I also believe she has not kept silent about Dave. See change.org.

Joy is active.  The non-profit she founded is www.outoftheshadows.today.

Incidentally, I saw and talked to Dr. Evans this morning at the West senior citizens entrance.

He was with his new wife who was helping him walk and supporting him so he did not fall to the floor.

He recognized me immediately and gave me a warm greeting.

I thought about taking his pic but thought better of it as he looked so bad, he was skin and bones.

Looked to be in very poor health.

Anyone that might ask him about Dave and Joy may just be the trigger that would kill him on the spot.

I greeted him warmly and moved on as I asked God to bless him.

Maybe someone else will have the courage to confront him, that someone is not me.

Thanks to all who responded. I just read the previous posts on the subject.  I was at TTU working on my Master's when I heard about Dave and Miller Road.

Prior to that, I was a young HAC student seated on a Sunday night bus with a young Joy seated behind me. I overheard her say to a friend, "He took me to a hotel..."  I did not know her, nor was I aware of all the numerous DH problems.  He is clearly a sex addict.

Heartbreaking for the victims.

I will never attend another IFB church.

Teri in NC said:
Jo said:

I believe Dr. Evans was attempting to protect his daughter at the time. It's my understanding he forced Dave's resignation and I assume his hope was that would put an end to it.

It hind sight I guess he should have known Dave would continue to be a predator, but hindsight is 20/20 and at the time his first priority was to protect his teen daughter. I wonder, faced with the same circumstances, if I would have acted the same way. On one hand the predator goes free, but on the other hand his daughter, the victim, was spared much of the shame and humiliation.

40 years later what do you expect him to do or say. It water under the bridge at this point. 

sword said:
Teri in NC said:
Jo said:

I believe Dr. Evans was attempting to protect his daughter at the time. It's my understanding he forced Dave's resignation and I assume his hope was that would put an end to it.

It hind sight I guess he should have known Dave would continue to be a predator, but hindsight is 20/20 and at the time his first priority was to protect his teen daughter. I wonder, faced with the same circumstances, if I would have acted the same way. On one hand the predator goes free, but on the other hand his daughter, the victim, was spared much of the shame and humiliation.

40 years later what do you expect him to do or say. It water under the bridge at this point.

I don't expect him to do anything now. I'm glad to hear he protected his daughter and he and his wife were able to keep their jobs.

It would be wonderful if HAC would have a Church Ed or Psych class on clergy abuse. Maybe they do.

Marlene Evans always ended her class with, "Rejoice in the Lord always and again I say rejoice!"

In the case of victims of sexual abuse, I believe, "Jesus wept".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sword said:
Teri in NC said:
Jo said:

Have you listened to the video on Joy's website? According to Joy...Dave raped her when she was 15. I am sorry but having someone resign and get sent to pastor another church is not protecting his daughter. The SOB Dave belonged in prison if what Joy is alleging is true.

No expectation that he will be doing anything today but he could be publicly supporting Joy's efforts rather than sitting in a pew and supporting the place that allowed his daughter to be raped without consequence. 

I loved Dr. Evans as a student but have zero respect for him today. God help anybody who hurt my children the way Dave hurt Joy.

LongGone said:
sword said:
Teri in NC said:
Jo said:

Have you listened to the video on Joy's website? According to Joy...Dave raped her when she was 15. I am sorry but having someone resign and get sent to pastor another church is not protecting his daughter. The SOB Dave belonged in prison if what Joy is alleging is true.

No expectation that he will be doing anything today but he could be publicly supporting Joy's efforts rather than sitting in a pew and supporting the place that allowed his daughter to be raped without consequence. 

I loved Dr. Evans as a student but have zero respect for him today. God help anybody who hurt my children the way Dave hurt Joy.

The place that allowed his daughter to be raped without consequence AND enabled the rapist to continue his onslaught within the church. I have NO understanding of those who would defend Hyles or FBC in this travesty.

Sword, I have always enjoyed your posts; however, to write that it is "all water under the bridge", is perhaps an unintended insensitive comment.  It is SO much more than that to any victim of abuse.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Jo said:
Sword, I have always enjoyed your posts; however, to write that it is "all water under the bridge", is perhaps an unintended insensitive comment.  It is SO much more than that to any victim of abuse.
Thanks you JO.

You make a good point, to the victims and their families it is history that likely haunts them to this day. I did not intend to minimize that in any way. The effects of these types of crimes, on young people, can last a lifetime.

For Dave Hyles they are "alleged" crimes that he has never answered for and should have went to jail for.

My point is for Dr. Evans these are memories I'm sure he wants to forget about and old wounds he does not want to re-open. After 40 years there is not much he can or likely will ever will do. If Joy had spoke out as soon as she turned 18 things might have been different. I did not mean to imply the past is the past for the victims, I was just saying for Dr. Evans I'm sure at this point it's all in the past.

Sword, if I recall correctly, I believe you work with victims of abuse.  I've never been sexually abused, but I have witnessed a pre-teen girl's video where she describes what was done to her.  I didn't vomit, but I should have.  I was angry when her perpetrator's jail time was not immediate, especially since he abused almost everyone in his family, and they all thought they were the only ones.  They kept it a secret until they could no longer.  I believe some continued the cycle.

For all the victims, whether male or female, do NOT keep silent.  Churches and those in authority should be encouraging you to come forward if you are abused.  By law, I believe they must tell.  Instead, I'm afraid most people just want things like that to go away.  Of course, it never can completely.  Some turn their anger and shame inward and become addicts.  Others use it, as Joy has, to change laws and tell their story.  God does not blame the victim, and anyone who does should re-examine their life carefully.

Over the years, I have talked to one too many grown women who were assaulted by a relative or someone at church.  It would be a wonderful thing if Hyles Anderson College would bite the bullet and try to teach classes making others aware of the signs of abuse and ALL churches should be doing background checks on anyone they employ.  It's not rocket science and can be done easily.

As far as I can tell, while Jack Hyles did not publicly condone that behavior, he certainly seemed to believe in sweeping things under the rug.  Those rugs are fraying and with the advent of the internet the stuff under the rug is seeping out.

sword said:
Jo said:
Thanks you JO.

You make a good point, to the victims and their families it is history that likely haunts them to this day. I did not intend to minimize that in any way. The effects of these types of crimes, on young people, can last a lifetime.

For Dave Hyles they are "alleged" crimes that he has never answered for and should have went to jail for.

My point is for Dr. Evans these are memories I'm sure he wants to forget about and old wounds he does not want to re-open. After 40 years there is not much he can or likely will ever will do. If Joy had spoke out as soon as she turned 18 things might have been different. I did not mean to imply the past is the past for the victims, I was just saying for Dr. Evans I'm sure at this point it's all in the past.

I am sure that Dr. Evans would like to forget. I doubt he is going to do anything at his age but how does one know that his daughter was raped at age 15 by the Pastor's son and be part of the cover up, draw a paycheck from the ministry responsible and bask in the adulation that this ministry gave him.  He continues in sit in the pew and say nothing while his daughter works to have the law changed. This is beyond anything I can comprehend.

Jo said:
Sword, if I recall correctly, I believe you work with victims of abuse.  I've never been sexually abused, but I have witnessed a pre-teen girl's video where she describes what was done to her.  I didn't vomit, but I should have.  I was angry when her perpetrator's jail time was not immediate, especially since he abused almost everyone in his family, and they all thought they were the only ones.  They kept it a secret until they could no longer.  I believe some continued the cycle.

For all the victims, whether male or female, do NOT keep silent.  Churches and those in authority should be encouraging you to come forward if you are abused.  By law, I believe they must tell.  Instead, I'm afraid most people just want things like that to go away.  Of course, it never can completely.  Some turn their anger and shame inward and become addicts.  Others use it, as Joy has, to change laws and tell their story.  God does not blame the victim, and anyone who does should re-examine their life carefully.

Over the years, I have talked to one too many grown women who were assaulted by a relative or someone at church.  It would be a wonderful thing if Hyles Anderson College would bite the bullet and try to teach classes making others aware of the signs of abuse and ALL churches should be doing background checks on anyone they employ.  It's not rocket science and can be done easily.

As far as I can tell, while Jack Hyles did not publicly condone that behavior, he certainly seemed to believe in sweeping things under the rug.  Those rugs are fraying and with the advent of the internet the stuff under the rug is seeping out.

Ummm...Jack Hyles encouraged the members to give A.V. Ballinger a standing ovation.

LongGone said:
sword said:
Teri in NC said:
Jo said:

Hindsight is never 20/20 but if you ask those of us who went to school with her that is not how we remembered it.  Statutory YEP.  Dave was a wicked man.  But rape in the traditional sense?  Let's just say there was no "cry out".  She can refute it all day long and will win every single argument because Dave was as wicked as they come.  But the girls knew the truth about what the real story was.  My wife suffered at the hands of terrible abuse as a child.  I know exactly what real rape looks like and the problems it causes.  It makes me furious that Joy uses these terms to describe her actions as a teenager as so innocent when real abuses abound.

Dave's other girls were quite jealous of Joy so there were no secrets from them.  Go ahead and ask the HBHS Girls from that era.

Oh I know its not politically correct to "blame the 'Victim'" and I know that a grown man of 20 something should have just spurned off any and all flirtations.  I know that and I believe that.  But these are the reasons there wasn't more back bone in Dr. Evans voice when dealing with the issue.  As much as He tried he could not get her to stop sneaking out.  It was he that caught them at the hotel together.  She was not a hostage.    Many  girls threw themselves at him and so did she.  I have seen this before in the music business.  The Christian Music Industry is rife with the same problems.  Most every Gospel Group has had these issues.  We used to joke that Gaither Music was Bill's home for wayward boys.  Power and fame in a young man will always ruin him.

So now it is a cause celeb.  A reason to be.  And absolutely no one would dare say anything against the "victim" now would they, because he is in fact evil.  And to say something against the victim would be supporting the evil man wouldn't it.    I would say no.  In this story it took two to tango and in this current day climate there is no room for another side.  At some point you just get tired of hearing the same story over and over again but only coming from one source and when you know he truth of what happened and the "victim" is now being made out to be a hero, you say to yourself "come on, be real,  We know the truth and this ain't it, no matter how wicked David is, you don't get to be wicked yourself, spin your own yarn and make yourself the hero.  Don't make daddy out to be the fall guy by your silence.  Own your own sin.

There you go Radar  That ought to fire up some spark for the forum.

TidesofTruth said:
LongGone said:
sword said:
Teri in NC said:
Jo said:

Hindsight is never 20/20 but if you ask those of us who went to school with her that is not how we remembered it.  Statutory YEP.  Dave was a wicked man.  But rape in the traditional sense?  Let's just say there was no "cry out".  She can refute it all day long and will win every single argument because Dave was as wicked as they come.  But the girls knew the truth about what the real story was.  My wife suffered at the hands of terrible abuse as a child.  I know exactly what real rape looks like and the problems it causes.  It makes me furious that Joy uses these terms to describe her actions as a teenager as so innocent when real abuses abound.

Dave's other girls were quite jealous of Joy so there were no secrets from them.  Go ahead and ask the HBHS Girls from that era.

Oh I know its not politically correct to "blame the 'Victim'" and I know that a grown man of 20 something should have just spurned off any and all flirtations.  I know that and I believe that.  But these are the reasons there wasn't more back bone in Dr. Evans voice when dealing with the issue.  As much as He tried he could not get her to stop sneaking out.  It was he that caught them at the hotel together.  She was not a hostage.    Many  girls threw themselves at him and so did she.  I have seen this before in the music business.  The Christian Music Industry is rife with the same problems.  Most every Gospel Group has had these issues.  We used to joke that Gaither Music was Bill's home for wayward boys.  Power and fame in a young man will always ruin him.

So now it is a cause celeb.  A reason to be.  And absolutely no one would dare say anything against the "victim" now would they, because he is in fact evil.  And to say something against the victim would be supporting the evil man wouldn't it.    I would say no.  In this story it took two to tango and in this current day climate there is no room for another side.  At some point you just get tired of hearing the same story over and over again but only coming from one source and when you know he truth of what happened and the "victim" is now being made out to be a hero, you say to yourself "come on, be real,  We know the truth and this ain't it, no matter how wicked David is, you don't get to be wicked yourself, spin your own yarn and make yourself the hero.  Don't make daddy out to be the fall guy by your silence.  Own your own sin.

As a person matures, we can look back and wonder what in the world we were thinking. Dave was the star of the show in his 20s. He was in a position of power, and we were all taught not to question authority. Instead, we worshipped it.

This is why clergy abuse should be addressed in the IFB.  Jack Schaap, Dave Hyles and many others like them abuse their power and prey on young girls who are vulnerable. I suspect the person Joy was in her teens is not the mature woman she is today.  That's why there are laws against statutory rape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sword said:
Jo said:
Thanks you JO.

Joy spoke out before she turned 18.

TidesofTruth said:
LongGone said:
sword said:
Teri in NC said:
Jo said:

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

From what I understand from my friends that were in 'that era', DH abused his authority. 

He threatened to get the girls kicked out of school and threatened to tell their parents how wild and wicked and rebellious they were. 

In Joy's case, he threatened her parents' jobs at the college.

Many of the phone calls he made to the girls' at their homes were under the pretense of "Bro. Dave, youth director of FBCH, checking in on......"  Parents were elated that the youth director (JH son) was taking an interest in their rebel teen girl.

I'll go ahead and wade in here.  Teenage girls can be groomed for abuse.  Perhaps some of her contemporaries were suspicious and asked questions that she was not prepared to answer.  She must have been very afraid.  That place was rife with threats and fear.  Teenage girls, heck, girls of all ages are prone to gossip.  The truth is, that even if "she threw herself at him", he should have removed himself from the situation and, as any responsible and moral, married man, he should never have encouraged or participated in any way.  I have no problem believing Joy's story.  I saw a lot of pretty unforgivable things happen during my time in that place.  Some of those things happened to me.  They changed victims forever and never took responsibility.  If today's technology had not been in play with Jack Schaap, I feel sure that he would still be the pastor at FBCH.  I also don't believe that offense was his first.  Folks can, and should, have the right to their own opinion.  I will never argue that.  My opinion is that Joy Evans Ryder was a teenage girl who was vulnerable, he took advantage of her youth and vulnerability.  He moved on after he was forced to.  He was never punished by the criminal justice system. He took the happiness from her sweet, young, hopeful life and left her scarred.  I believe his behavior was not only criminal, but sociopathic, and that he spends no time mourning the past, but for his own "fall from grace" (whatever that means!).  There will be plenty of folks who disagree with and question me.  They've every right.  I cannot go back to that time during my youth at FBCH and change my own experiences.  I wish I could.  There are people who had a great experience; who loved everybody and felt loved by everybody, who were single-minded and never saw one dirty misdeed.  Good for them! I am not one of them and I ran from that place just as soon as I saw an opportunity AND as fast as my little legs would carry me!  I tried to convince folks that horrible rumors were true, sadly, no one would listen and I saved myself while I could.

Lots of interesting reading.

I think (just my opinion) that Dr Evans demanded that Dave no longer be around his daughter, and the move to Texas was the eventual deal that was worked out.

When DH continued his adulterous ways in Garland, JH was planning to ship him to another church, according to Paula's testimony, so I can well believe that the move to Garland was to place Dr Evans.

Yes, DH should have been arrested, but it may be that Dr Evans didn't want to put his child through the ordeal of a trial, and so he compromised.