Dr. This and Dr. That

As a percentage of total graduates, the % who receive honorary doctorates from any college is very very small.

In the 50 years Hyles Anderson College has been around I doubt there has been 50 honorary doctorates given out. Less if you exclude the horse.

My childhood pastor had a bachelor’s degree from Bob Jones University and an unaccredited master’s degree from some nameless correspondence college. I can recall him getting an honorary doctorate degree from Bob Jones later in life and he immediately began referring to himself as “doctor” and even using “doctor” when signing his name. This went on for a couple years and he then suddenly stopped the practice of referring to himself as “doctor.” The truth is, I heard some people poking fun of him a time or two for calling himself “doctor,” and I also recall overhearing some folks question the practice. I guess his ego wasn’t getting stroked by the “doctor” moniker, so he just quit doing it.

Many feel that having their alma mater identify them and their lifes work to be worthy of recognition is a high honor. I would suspect many who received an honorary doctorate from HAC / Hyles value it much higher than any masters or PHD degree they may have earned. Within Independent Baptist Churches earned doctorates mean little.

Those I know who have been given honorary doctorates don't feel they deserve it but were honored to be chosen. I'm sure there are many exception to this rule but I don't know them. Remember in the IFB it's all about the numbers and results not about degrees.
I don’t think most people have any trouble with Hyles Anderson, or Harvard award honorary doctorates. The problem is when the people who receive them start going by the title of Dr.

I've never thought being referred as "Dr" was appropriate when one had not earned his degree.

But I hope that in her lifetime, Fanny Crosby was awarded an honorary "Doctor of Music" degree.

Honorary Doctorates (from a Bible College) are to secure loyalty from the person so honored. They depend on pastors to send kids to their colleges.

Also, IFB DMins are typically suspect. It takes way more credit hours (96 post grad) to earn the standard MDiv than a DMin (32hours post grad).

Incidentally, although I have no proof, I happen to firmly believe “Ransom” is a Trojan Horse and is more than likely more than one person, not Canadian but rather American, and is probably operating as a low level government informant. - Strom

I just noticed the above quote. I'm not on here often. I don't know Strom, but if you're a nefarious spy, please do tell.....lol
Seems Strom, like the late, former Senator from South Carolina, has departed! 😉

Every school is different but it seems the number awarded is small.

Princton awards the following Honorary degrees:

Doctor of Arts, Doctor of Divinity, Doctor of Fine Arts, Doctor of Humane Letters, Doctor of Humanities, Doctor of Laws, Doctor of Letters, Doctor of Literature, Doctor of Music, and Doctor of Science.

It seems they ususlly award 5 total a year. I think it's customary to have those being presented honorary doctorates to speak, not the other way around.
Are you comparing HAC to Princeton or any other institution of higher learning?

Personally, I would like my money back for my HAC degree.

Have they ever given an honorary degree to a woman? Of course, they gave it to the horse. What was his honorary doctorate in?

....Have they ever given an honorary degree to a woman?

But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

<ALAYMAN ducks and runs for the hills!>

j/k

😁

Have they ever given an honorary degree to a woman? Of course, they gave it to the horse. What was his honorary doctorate in?
I'm pretty sure both Mrs. Marlene Evans, Edith Boyd and Mrs. Mildred Hobbins were awarded Honorary doctorates from HAC. I believe there were a couple more ladies but i'm not sure.

Both ladies had earned degrees as well.

Last edited:
Are you comparing HAC to Princeton or any other institution of higher learning?
I was just using Princton as an example of the Honorary degrees that they award. It was implied that most honorary doctorates are Doctor of Divinity or Doctor of Humane Letters. I was just pointing out some other examples that schools award. I'm pretty sure most colleges and universities award honorary doctorates from time to time.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Cornell University, and Stanford University are all examples of schools who choose not to award honorary doctorates

If I recall correctly, I believe in the UK, being called “doctor” is normally reserved for medical doctors only. In the U.S., the term “doctor” gets thrown around somewhat haphazardly. I have a JD degree, but I’d be laughed out of the room if I decided to be called “Doctor” from now on.

If I recall correctly, I believe in the UK, being called “doctor” is normally reserved for medical doctors only. In the U.S., the term “doctor” gets thrown around somewhat haphazardly. I have a JD degree, but I’d be laughed out of the room if I decided to be called “Doctor” from now on.
my sister never puts "dr" with her name.... and doesn;t even list her phd with her job title... ...in fact the only time i have ever seen "dr" on her desk was if she was drinking a dr pepper and had the can sitting on it.... but then her work is pretty far removed from what people imagine when think of someone with a phd in psychology....

my sister never puts "dr" with her name.... and doesn;t even list her phd with her job title... ...in fact the only time i have ever seen "dr" on her desk was if she was drinking a dr pepper and had the can sitting on it.... but then her work is pretty far removed from what people imagine when think of someone with a phd in psychology....
She’s entitled to call herself “doctor” with her degree (at least as is customary in the U.S.), whereas I’m not. I’ve never heard of anyone with a JD calling themselves “doctor” with the exception of professors who had dual JD/PhD degrees. However, now that I have a Fundamental Forums PhD, I’ll feel much better when Gringo calls me “Dr. HukNDuck.” 😆

She’s entitled to call herself “doctor” with her degree (at least as is customary in the U.S.), whereas I’m not. I’ve never heard of anyone with a JD calling themselves “doctor” with the exception of professors who had dual JD/PhD degrees. However, now that I have a Fundamental Forums PhD, I’ll feel much better when Gringo calls me “Dr. HukNDuck.” 😆
well you know what the old joke was about the doctor whose last name was "duck".... .he couldn;t find any patients coz people assumed he was a quack.....😉 ...😁

understanding human psychology is vital to the work my sister does.... but it;s far from being the only thing or even the most important thing... .. to her it;s just another weapon in the arsenal ... or tool in the tool box as they say..... but in truth i can;t see how it would hurt her to call herself doctor... . but she refuses to do it.... and won;t let us call her doctor either unless at home and only joking around.....

understanding human psychology is vital to the work my sister does.... but it;s far from being the only thing or even the most important thing... .. to her it;s just another weapon in the arsenal ... or tool in the tool box as they say..... but in truth i can;t see how it would hurt her to call herself doctor... . but she refuses to do it.... and won;t let us call her doctor either unless at home and only joking around.....
I once had a professor with the most academically impressive resume of anyone on staff (at least in my classes). He had degrees from Princeton, Yale and Harvard, but refused to call himself “doctor.” He simply said, “please just call me John.” I always found that gesture more impressive than his Ivy League pedigree. Of course now, folks are turning away from Ivy League graduates, but this was twenty five years ago.

I once had a professor with the most academically impressive resume of anyone on staff (at least in my classes). He had degrees from Princeton, Yale and Harvard, but refused to call himself “doctor.” He simply said, “please just call me John.” I always found that gesture more impressive than his Ivy League pedigree. Of course now, folks are turning away from Ivy League graduates, but this was twenty five years ago.
I am more inclined to listen to a person with humility than anyone else.

As long as a college or university limits it to one or two a year i have no problem with them recognizing someone’s life work.

Sure. And I have no problem with the recipient of such an honour listing it on his CV. It's a genuine achievement to be so recognized. As long as it's listed under "Awards" or "Honours" rather than "Education," and the recipient doesn't try to pass himself off as more credentialed than he actually is.