Dr. This and Dr. That

I don’t think most people have any trouble with Hyles Anderson, or Harvard award honorary doctorates.

If I ran things, there would be a rule about being allowed to issue an "honorary doctorate" if you don't have the ability to award a real one. Otherwise, it's in the same ballpark as stolen valour: you're giving away prestige that you don't actually have.

Depending on when this was, it's possible she was still going by "G. A. Riplinger" and hadn't yet come out of the woman closet.
Likely has to do with her championing the KJV and being critical of modern translations.

I think the clear answer, at least for Christian colleges, is to change the recognition to a lifetime achievement award based on whatever published criteria the school may have. They should have every right to honor those that, in their opinion, accomplished great things in the ministry both as fulltime servants or laymen.

This shifts the weight of the award from academic achievement, which an earned doctorate signifies, to recognition for a life’s work and service for the Lord and humanity. It removes the title "Doctor" which is confusing enough with non-medical PHD's let alone pastors and is replaced it with acknowledgment of one’s life work.

No more Dr. so and so and if someone wants to introduce a Pastor, evangelist, or missionary as the recipient of a Bob Jones University or Hyles Anderson Lifetime Achievement Award then more power to them. Degrees and titles have never meant much to me, show me what they have done, what they have built, the people they have influenced. The mark a person has made and the things they leave behind when they are gone is what matters to me.

I think we should make an exception for forum moderators. They should be able to declare someone a doctor at any time. Otherwise I will have to reprint all my business cards and remove the title "Forum Doctor" and the latin phrase "Medicum morbo adhibe". Roughly translated "to be called on in urgent matters of life and death".

😲 🏃‍♂️🫣🧟‍♀️🏹 🎳😫😖😢🥶

nah.... just kidding.... after all it is a quote from the bible.... 🙄
That just may just be a record for the total number of emojis on a single FFF post, definitely displaying your worthiness to have been granted your forum doctorate 😁

My stomach turns just a little bit more when I realize how many IFB preachers were given the title, "Dr." when they didn't attend one accredited university! Come on! Am I alone?
No your not. These a nothing but phony corrupt so called preachers.

Coming from an accredited institution or not, a degree is nothing but a piece of paper that affirms the graduate's ability to regurgitate what the granting institution taught.

Value is assigned to such a document by convention; some institutions agree to teach certain things by way of convention therefore, an accreditation is to a college what the diploma is to the earner.

I know of many who have alphabet after their names that I wouldn't give a plug nickel for whether the title comes from an accredited school or not.
Amen to that

My stomach turns just a little bit more when I realize how many IFB preachers were given the title, "Dr." when they didn't attend one accredited university! Come on! Am I alone?
These “degrees” given to what seemed to be men of renown at FBCH were nothing more than a doctor of letters. They mean nothing and are not recognized by any institution, accredited or not. Anyone who receives one can slyly use the title, but when references are checked, the piece of paper is fodder for laughter and sometimes it goes as far as misrepresenting one’s education and experience. It is proof that the person possessing the piece of paper is willing to lie. Any serious employee or candidate wouldn’t mention the doctor of letters, knowing that it is only honorary.