Famous Quotes

I don't believe that Jesus would approve abortion except in the case of incest, rape or the mother's life in danger. But I had to enforce the Supreme Court ruling on Roe v. Wade so I tried to do everything I could to minimize the need for abortions. - Jimmy Carter
IOW, "But you see, Jesus and me agree on this little exception." and "I was just doing what I was told!" (An argument that failed at the Nuremberg Trials.)

IOW, "But you see, Jesus and me agree on this little exception." and "I was just doing what I was told!" (An argument that failed at the Nuremberg Trials.)
In 1967, as governor of California, my father signed a bill making abortion legal for victims of rape and incest, and in cases where a woman’s mental or physical health was in danger. That law was among the first in the country to decriminalize abortion. He was acutely aware that women who were victims of rape or incest and became pregnant would be re-victimized by being forced to have their attacker’s baby. But his religious faith left him questioning when life begins. - Patti Davis (Ronald Reagan’s Daughter)

So, was he second guessing his decision?
I don’t know, that abortion law was signed by Reagan. You’d have to ask his daughter. Ironically, Reagan helped spearhead the abortion movement in America. Didn’t see that one coming, did you?

I don’t know, that abortion law was signed by Reagan. You’d have to ask his daughter. Ironically, Reagan helped spearhead the abortion movement in America. Didn’t see that one coming, did you?
Why do you say that? I remember very clearly his professed stance on abortion as President. I was 16 when he took office and I voted for him in 1984.

This was 1967 when he was governttor of CA
Right, I read that. Reagan did what he did but his daughter made it sound like he was second guessing himself at the end of her quote.

I had never heard that is what he did. Did he do it to appease the pro-abortionist? Did he do it because he thought it right? You know as much as I do.

Is my position softened because one of the greatest governors of California signed this law? Am I permissive because Reagan was a sound conservative? One thing that drove me NUTS even back when he was in office was how many believers thought that he too was a believer simply because his political views matched theirs. I do not profess to be his judge; only God knows; but this I do know: HE WAS A POLITICIAN. IMO, he possessed many qualities of a great statesman, but he was still a politician; no more able to save this nation than Mickey Mouse was.

I find it interesting that the abortionist makes such a big deal out of these exceptions when these exceptions make up such a small number of abortions even under the most liberal of standards.

Last edited:
Right, I read that. Reagan did what he did but his daughter made it sound like he was second guessing himself at the end of her quote.

I had never heard that is what he did. Did he do it to appease the pro-abortionist? Did he do it because he thought it right? You know as much as I do.

Is my position softened because one of the greatest governors of California signed this law? Am I permissive because Reagan was a sound conservative? One thing that drove me NUTS even back when he was in office was how many believers thought that he too was a believer simply because his political views matched theirs. I do not profess to be his judge; only God knows; but this I do know: HE WAS A POLITICIAN. IMO, he possessed many qualities of a great statesman. But he was still a politician no more able to save this nation than Mickey Mouse.

I find it interesting that the abortionist makes such a big deal out of these exceptions when these exceptions make up such a small number of abortions even under the most liberal of standards.
I can’t disagree with much you said. I essentially make the same arguments about Trump. He’s certainly not been perfect in his private life, and he’s sometimes difficult to like when he self-implodes, but overall he kept the country safe and prosperous, which is more than we can say about Biden. I can’t understand why some people, even on here, say they’ll never vote for Trump.

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing. -Walt Disney

I cannot trust a man to control others who cannot control himself. - Robert E. Lee
Love your posting "The Masters" logo! My wife and I miss being around Augusta during the Masters tournament.

Yes, agreed. I’d love to see those Azaleas and walk Amen Corner.
I got to do that when I worked for what was then Augusta College, now known as Augusta U. It IS beautiful. The whole course is very pleasing to the eye! My brother in law used to work security during the Masters. :)

Love your posting "The Masters" logo! My wife and I miss being around Augusta during the Masters tournament.
I’d love to attend…it’s on my bucket list. Ironically, I don’t live terribly far from there, but it’s a world away when you don’t have tickets. I enter their lottery for tickets every year, just haven’t gotten lucky yet.

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born”—Ronald Reagan

I take it you didn’t like me pointing out that Reagan signed abortion into law in California back in ‘67. 😎

I was under the impression Reagan changed his views somewhere between 1967 and 1980.
It’s possible, although I haven’t heard that. His daughter’s recent piece seemed to indicate he was always conflicted about it.

It’s possible, although I haven’t heard that. His daughter’s recent piece seemed to indicate he was always conflicted about it.
Yep.

Ronald Reagan conceded today that the liberalized abortion bill he signed as Governor of California led to “abortion on demand” in many of that state's hospitals. He told a news conference here that he would not make the same “mistake” today.

The Californian has taken a solid position against liberalized abortion law in campaigning for the Republican nomination for President, and said he would support a constitutional amendment overthrowing the United States Supreme Court's ruling liberalizing the basis for abortion.​

"Reagan Affirms Anti-Abortion Stand," New York Times, February 8, 1976, 44.

One of the issues that led to his regret was that psychiatrists were having five-minute meetings with with pregnant women and trumping up diagnoses such as "suicidal" to make them eligible for "therapeutic" abortions.