Favorite Foods and Recipes...

I can’t stand grits, at least the one time I tasted them, so….

If you can get your hand on polenta, it works just fine, IMO. It is what I use. Regular corn meal will become mush and "quick grits" just doesn't work.

Thought about polenta, too. I can get that easily enough. I guess Ottawa's got more Italians than Cajuns.

Thought about polenta, too. I can get that easily enough. I guess Ottawa's got more Italians than Cajuns.
I guess shrimp and grits is low country (Carolinas) in origin. When I was stationed in the South, grits with butter, salt and pepper was a plain side dish. They were not dressed up like they are now. About the most I saw was adding ham and red-eye gravy.

Polenta seems to adapt itself well in lots of southern dishes... Wonderful in corn bread.

Can't get grits here, unfortunately. I've often wondered if regular corn meal would make an acceptable substitute. Don't know where to begin, though.
If you ever want any shipped to you I will be more than happy to assist..

I guess shrimp and grits is low country (Carolinas) in origin. When I was stationed in the South, grits with butter, salt and pepper was a plain side dish. They were not dressed up like they are now. About the most I saw was adding ham and red-eye gravy.

Polenta seems to adapt itself well in lots of southern dishes... Wonderful in corn bread.
The grits most of the restaurants my wife and I go to serve the grits plain... even the Waffle House's.

Probably can be done, assuming there's no customs issues with importing it. I just don't tend to think buying food by mail order is worth the trouble.
More often than not, I have ordered thinking I would get the "real thing" only to pay lots of money and be disappointed.

Probably can be done, assuming there's no customs issues with importing it. I just don't tend to think buying food by mail order is worth the trouble.
Truthfully it's not.

i love grits... . though i have only eaten them a few times and it was several years ago.. and they had cheese in them..... back when the marines based at kaneohe were sent to iraq - some of their wives who were from the south opened a southern style restaurant serving ribs - catfish - southern style greens and cheesy grits... . i don;t know if cheese is common in grits but the way they made them was awesome.. ..we went there every time we were close to the base... ... ..but the restaurant closed after that marine group came back and were re-deployed to another state.....

Oh yes... Grits is the ultimate side dish... Configurable in any way (except milk and sugar 🤢) my exposure to them was limited even when I was in the South. So neat those ladies opened that slice of culture while their husbands were on deployment.

Oh yes... Grits is the ultimate side dish... Configurable in any way (except milk and sugar 🤢) my exposure to them was limited even when I was in the South. So neat those ladies opened that slice of culture while their husbands were on deployment.
yeah... that was a unique thing.... i never saw any other family of deployed military personnel do that..... ... but i wish others would... it brings a different but very authentic food experience to people here ....

I’ve eaten grits since I came out of the womb. I think I’d say they are more prevalent in South Carolina than in Florida, but it’s still plenty easy to find in restaurants and grocery stores here in the Sunshine State. My favorite grits recipe is pretty simple: cheddar cheese, some bacon bits and a couple diced green onion pieces. Oh, and a little butter and of course some fresh ground black pepper.

I’ve eaten grits since I came out of the womb. I think I’d say they are more prevalent in South Carolina than in Florida, but it’s still plenty easy to find in restaurants and grocery stores here in the Sunshine State. My favorite grits recipe is pretty simple: cheddar cheese, some bacon bits and a couple diced green onion pieces. Oh, and a little butter and of course some fresh ground black pepper.
it sounds awesome.... the big staple here is rice.... every meal in most local restaurants comes with 2 scoops of rice.. . .. and in my opinion it;s a local obsession that is very unhealthy... ....i have never liked it.... unless it was brown rice or black wild rice.... and even then never too much of it.... ...but never white rice... .. ... .hardcore rice lovers who eat all kinds of rice equally would say that makes me a ricest... :rolleyes: .... oh well... ...but grits was another story... i think i could eat those with every meal.... :)....

it sounds awesome.... the big staple here is rice.... every meal in most local restaurants comes with 2 scoops of rice.. . .. and in my opinion it;s a local obsession that is very unhealthy... ....i have never liked it.... unless it was brown rice or black wild rice.... and even then never too much of it.... ...but never white rice... .. ... .hardcore rice lovers who eat all kinds of rice equally would say that makes me a ricest... :rolleyes: .... oh well... ...but grits was another story... i think i could eat those with every meal.... :)....
Rice is also a staple in the South. You’re a bit of an historian, so I’m sure you know the history of rice grown in the coastal areas. I used to eat way too much of it, but I’ve drastically reduced it from my diet due to a history of diabetes in the family. It’s probably the one item I miss the most that I eat in moderation nowadays.

i love grits... . though i have only eaten them a few times and it was several years ago.. and they had cheese in them..... back when the marines based at kaneohe were sent to iraq - some of their wives who were from the south opened a southern style restaurant serving ribs - catfish - southern style greens and cheesy grits... . i don;t know if cheese is common in grits but the way they made them was awesome.. ..we went there every time we were close to the base... ... ..but the restaurant closed after that marine group came back and were re-deployed to another state.....
Cheese grits are VERY common here in the South!

Rice is also a staple in the South. You’re a bit of an historian, so I’m sure you know the history of rice grown in the coastal areas. I used to eat way too much of it, but I’ve drastically reduced it from my diet due to a history of diabetes in the family. It’s probably the one item I miss the most that I eat in moderation nowadays.
I've never been fond of rice, but, my wife likes it. I'll eat it occasionally. I like rice pudding and Spanish rice. I guess my lack of love for this item is that my mom served it several times a week. Have you ever had rice and eggs? 🤮

I've never been fond of rice, but, my wife likes it. I'll eat it occasionally. I like rice pudding and Spanish rice. I guess my lack of love for this item is that my mom served it several times a week. Have you ever had rice and eggs? 🤮
I’ve only had the rice w/eggs in the Chinese version. It’s okay as long as the eggs aren’t too obvious, but it’s not my favorite.