Favorite Foods and Recipes...

Just tried red eye gravy. I went with the most simple recipe; fry the ham, add strong black coffee. Served over grits... Love how the ham came out. The "gravy" part was okay...

Washing it down with the coffee I made for the gravy leaves a wonderful after taste.

Last edited:
Rice is also a staple in the South. You’re a bit of an historian, so I’m sure you know the history of rice grown in the coastal areas. I used to eat way too much of it, but I’ve drastically reduced it from my diet due to a history of diabetes in the family. It’s probably the one item I miss the most that I eat in moderation nowadays.
i know rice was a major crop grown in some of the south eastern plantations.... but i don;t really know much more about it than that... . ... the plantations in hawaii were originally all sugar cane... .. and then pipeapples were brought in by sanford dole and grown on plantations..... ...but the crop grown and cultivated by native hawaiians before that was taro and their main source of carbohydrates was poi made from taro..... rice didn;t come into hawaii until much later around 1860 and inititially was grown by plantation workers from china and japan for their own consumption.... most of waikiki was a planted with rice paddys at one time as it was basically a reclaimed swamp... plantations growing sugar and pineapple were all around waikiki in the areas now occupied by high rise buildings....

diabetes is rampant in hawaii..... and i think white rice is the main culprit.. ....it;s considered a cultural icon now and yet rice is no longer grown in hawaii... .... all the rice consumed in hawaii is grown in california... calrose... and shipped in by the tons... . .and it;s eaten plain with nothing added to it... .... it is often added into other dishes like adobo and fried rice.... . but mostly just eaten by itself...plain...🍚.. they consider it one of the things that makes them "local".... and they sometimes eat so much in one sitting that it makes them dizzy.. .... and if are with them and you put soy sauce or sugar and butter in your rice like many mainlanders like to do people here look at you strange... or even laugh....

you can tell when a person owns a big dog when you see them load up one of those huge bags of dog food at sams or costco that takes up half the shopping cart... in hawaii almost everybody buys bags of calrose white rice that same size at sams and costco... .... except for us and a few others.... we don;t use much rice in our cooking - unless it;s brown rice or wild rice... ..we use more potatos than rice..... .of course white potatos are considered another offender towards causing diabetes - but i don;t think it has as much effect on it as white rice does.... or even white bread....

Last edited:
I've never been fond of rice, but, my wife likes it. I'll eat it occasionally. I like rice pudding and Spanish rice. I guess my lack of love for this item is that my mom served it several times a week. Have you ever had rice and eggs? 🤮
i like spanish style rice as long as it;s spicy and done right... (not simply doused with tapato or tabasco sauce).... . but i like the basmati rice used with indian zaffron dishes and punjabi style foods even better .... but i have never had rice with eggs.... ....any time i am cooking eggs it;s always as an omelet... lots of cheese... but no rice....

I'm trying get away from empty carbs... Just about completely sworn off potatoes unless I'm eating the skin as well. Sweet potatoes are supposed to be better which is nice because I LOVE sweet potato fries 😋. If I never eat another order of McDonald's fries, I won't miss 'em.

I don't like white bread per se, I do have a weakness for English muffins and sourdough bread however.

Mrs. abcaines loves the California roll at the local "Zushi" bar. Lots of white rice there. Not much rice of any kind is eaten here otherwise.

I'm trying get away from empty carbs... Just about completely sworn off potatoes unless I'm eating the skin as well. Sweet potatoes are supposed to be better which is nice because I LOVE sweet potato fries 😋. If I never eat another order of McDonald's fries, I won't miss 'em.

I don't like white bread per se, I do have a weakness for English muffins and sourdough bread however.

Mrs. abcaines loves the California roll at the local "Zushi" bar. Lots of white rice there. Not much rice of any kind is eaten here otherwise.
i know someone who started eating lots of mcdonalds french fries ever since it came out that something about them grew hair on mice.... .....apparently it;s something in the oil they use to cook them... . ..not sure how true that is... :unsure:.... .. ... .... ... everybody says mcdonalds fries were much better when they were fried in beef tallow... ...but i don;t remember much about that - i was still really young when mcdonald switched away from fat grease.... and back then ... to me... the main purpose of french fries was to dip in the ketchup - which i loved.... also liked dipping them in mustard... ...but if the fries tasted good too it was a bonus.... :giggle:

white rice.. white potatos and white bread have an extremely high glycemic index - which means they absorb fast and cause blood sugar to spike... ...usually followed by a rapid fall in blood sugar unless supported by another food..... ..it;s good if you need quick energy and are going to put it to use... . but even then it takes it;s toll on the body...

i know rice was a major crop grown in some of the south eastern plantations.... but i don;t really know much more about it than that... . ... the plantations in hawaii were originally all sugar cane... .. and then pipeapples were brought in by sanford dole and grown on plantations..... ...but the crop grown and cultivated by native hawaiians before that was taro and their main source of carbohydrates was poi made from taro..... rice didn;t come into hawaii until much later around 1860 and inititially was grown by plantation workers from china and japan for their own consumption.... most of waikiki was a planted with rice paddys at one time as it was basically a reclaimed swamp... plantations growing sugar and pineapple were all around waikiki in the areas now occupied by high rise buildings....

diabetes is rampant in hawaii..... and i think white rice is the main culprit.. ....it;s considered a cultural icon now and yet rice is no longer grown in hawaii... .... all the rice consumed in hawaii is grown in california... calrose... and shipped in by the tons... . .and it;s eaten plain with nothing added to it... .... it is often added into other dishes like adobo and fried rice.... . but mostly just eaten by itself...plain...🍚.. they consider it one of the things that makes them "local".... and they sometimes eat so much in one sitting that it makes them dizzy.. .... and if are with them and you put soy sauce or sugar and butter in your rice like many mainlanders like to do people here look at you strange... or even laugh....

you can tell when a person owns a big dog when you see them load up one of those huge bags of dog food at sams or costco that takes up half the shopping cart... in hawaii almost everybody buys bags of calrose white rice that same size at sams and costco... .... except for us and a few others.... we don;t use much rice in our cooking - unless it;s brown rice or wild rice... ..we use more potatos than rice..... .of course white potatos are considered another offender towards causing diabetes - but i don;t think it has as much effect on it as white rice does.... or even white bread....
https://www.ducks.org/conservation/public-policy/farm-bill/rice-and-ducks It might not be surprising to know that the “duck capital of the country” is also the “rice capital.” It’s a bucket list trip for anyone who hunts ducks to get one trip to Stuggart, Arkansas. Unfortunately, those guided hunts are very expensive and usually booked already far in advance (sometimes years). Maybe one day…🤷🏻‍♂️🙏🏻

I've also been tinkering with cranberries and oranges lately. Unbelievable flavors form when those two fruits are combined! I first encountered a cranberry orange relish at my brother's place one Thanksgiving and have tried to copy it ever since.

While I was in college, a coffee stand on campus sold cranberry orange scones that were sent from Heaven! Paired with their coffee... 🤤 I have since recreated something similar to those scones and they are a treat fit for the holidays.

Ah... Yup. That cranberry-orange combo is good stuff. I chopped up some dried cranberries, added juice and zest from half an orange then mixed it into some butter... YUMMY! Spread on toast...

View attachment 5088
A healthy and prosperous New Year to y'all.
we have had that southern traditional new years meal a few new years days in the past.. . it;s not one of my favorites but my dad loves it and grew up with it.... he told us the history of it and legends behind it... .....but i don;t remember if it actually improved our luck or prosperity during those years.... :unsure: ....the hamhocks.. black eyed peas and corn bread are not hard to do but finding quality collard greens actually worth eating are a little difficult here.....

this year we went out to our favorite mongolian hot pot restaurant for new years day.... ...kind of expensive but very good - plus it made it nice not having to work in the kitchen all day..... ....new years eve we spent in waipahu at a friends house and saw what was the biggest - longest... and also most illegal... fireworks display i have ever seen.... ...all shot off by private citizens on the island disregarding the island wide ban on aerial fireworks ... ...by 1 am the smoke in the air was so thick we could barely see across the street.... but it was amazing to be there and see it all....... here;s a video that was taken not far from where we were... ...i have no idea what the drive home was like coz i was asleep within a few minutes of getting into the car....

Last edited:
we have had that southern traditional new years meal a few new years days in the past.. . it;s not one of my favorites but my dad loves it and grew up with it.... he told us the history of it and legends behind it... .....but i don;t remember if it actually improved our luck or prosperity during those years.... :unsure: ....the hamhocks.. black eyed peas and corn bread are not hard to do but finding quality collard greens actually worth eating are a little difficult here.....

this year we went out to our favorite mongolian hot pot restaurant for new years day.... ...kind of expensive but very good - plus it made it nice not having to work in the kitchen all day..... ....new years eve we spent in waipahu at a friends house and saw what was the biggest - longest... and also most illegal... fireworks display i have ever seen.... ...all shot off by private citizens on the island disregarding the island wide ban on aerial fireworks ... ...by 1 am the smoke in the air was so thick we could barely see across the street.... but it was amazing to be there and see it all....... here;s a video that was taken not far from where we were... ...i have no idea what the drive home was like coz i was asleep within a few minutes of getting into the car....

Holy cow! Here in Washington, private aerial fireworks are legal on NYE and we get startled by the boom of them but they aren't anything like that!

I've been getting into kimchi lately. Costco sells "Jongga" kimchi which labels itself as the No.1 selling kimchi in Korea.

1000001431.jpg
Served with fish, this stuff is amazing!

If it's anything similar to the big bucket of kimchi I recently had, it's pretty good in an omelette or scrambled eggs, too. Use sparingly, of course.
Been there, done that.