FBC kids attending other colleges

Still There

Elect
Reaction score
I wonder how many FBC kids are attending other christian colleges other than HAC? I've seen several at Pensacola! Whoo hoo!

It's a little difficult to get a non-ministry degree at Hyles Anderson.

Pensacola offers degrees in Teaching, Nursing, Engneering, Cyber Security, IT, Marketing, Criminal Justice, Finance, Business. and so many more.

They also offer degrees in Pre Law, Pre Med, Pre Pharm, as well as advance degrees including an MBA program just to name a few.

If your not going into the ministry then the options at HAC are very limited.

Does Wilkerson discourage secular degrees like the prevous 2 pastors did? Most churches could use a few more professionals on their roles.

Pensacola offers degrees in Teaching, Nursing, Engneering, Cyber Security, IT, Marketing, Criminal Justice, Finance, Business. and so many more.

They also offer degrees in Pre Law, Pre Med, Pre Pharm, as well as advance degrees including an MBA program just to name a few.
The problem with PCC is it’s not accredited (or at least regionally, which is what counts). Some of its programs are recognized by the state of Florida and graduates can get jobs *within the state,* but those are limited. For example, their nursing program is recognized and, from what I understand, considered in high regard. For ministerial purposes, I’m sure it’s top notch,

The problem with PCC is it’s not accredited (or at least regionally, which is what counts). Some of its programs are recognized by the state of Florida and graduates can get jobs *within the state,* but those are limited. For example, their nursing program is recognized and, from what I understand, considered in high regard. For ministerial purposes, I’m sure it’s top notch,
PCC graduates with their degrees work in all 50 states in various occupation. Go to their website and looking at the graduate testimonies. One engineering graduate became a nuclear submarine officer in the US navy.

Pensacola Christian College (PCC) is a private Independent Baptist[1] college in Pensacola, Florida. Founded in 1974 by Arlin and Beka Horton,[3] it has been accredited by the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools since 2013.[4]

PCC graduates with their degrees work in all 50 states in various occupation. Go to their website and looking at the graduate testimonies. One engineering graduate became a nuclear submarine officer in the US navy.
I’m not knocking PCC, I’m just stating facts. It’s not a regionally accredited institution. Bob Jones went through an arduous process to go from national accreditation to regional. If PCC ever does embark on such a journey, you’ll quickly see its tuition quadruple—and for good reason.

As a kid in South Carolina, my family doctor was Bob Jones graduate back when BJU wasn’t accredited at all. Graduates can still attend graduate schools, law schools and even medical schools, but the lack of regional accreditation requires many more hurdles to jump and a lot more scrutiny before acceptance.

Which is fine if you last long enough to graduate, without someone snitching on you for drinking improperly from an unauthorized tap.
Excuse my ignorance, but what is an unauthorized tap.

When you say drinkng are you referring to alcoholic beverages or is this a metaphor of some sort?

Excuse my ignorance, but what is an unauthorized tap.

When you say drinkng are you referring to alcoholic beverages or is this a metaphor of some sort?

PCC is notorious for its strict and draconian rules--both written and unwritten--regulating the public and personal lives of its students, faculty, staff, and their families, on- and off-campus, and a strong push to report offenders. There used to be an underground newsletter and Web site called the Student Voice that brought a lot of the unwritten stuff out into the open.

The link at the top of this old thread is still good.

There isn't a rule about men not being allowed to pour themselves a glass of water out of a woman's sink, but it's the kind of school where such a rule could exist, and you wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Well, there ya go. I never knew the difference between the two.
I’m very happy that PCC now has accreditation, even if not regional. Like Bob Jones, PCC eschewed accreditation for decades under the disguise of “separation from the world.” Unfortunately, it was at the expense of many graduates who failed to get into certain job fields and graduate schools due to the accreditation concern. I know in my particular case, I would not have been eligible to get into law school if I had gone the route my parents wanted by attending Bob Jones at a time in which it was still unaccredited (unless I had exclusively chosen a law school in South Carolina, which I didn’t want).

PCC is notorious for its strict and draconian rules--both written and unwritten--regulating the public and personal lives of its students, faculty, staff, and their families, on- and off-campus, and a strong push to report offenders. There used to be an underground newsletter and Web site called the Student Voice that brought a lot of the unwritten stuff out into the open.

The link at the top of this old thread is still good.

There isn't a rule about men not being allowed to pour themselves a glass of water out of a woman's sink, but it's the kind of school where such a rule could exist, and you wouldn't be surprised if it did.
Why would a student choose a college with an independent fundamental Baptist background if they wanted a school with laxed or no rules. There are 1000's of public or private colleges who will provide a low rules enviroment if thats what you seek. There are even so called christian colleges who provide a low rules enviroment.

I assume young people who attend PCC are coming from very conservitive backgrounds and expect there to be strict rules. The allumni I know from PCC all speak highly of their time there. They say the rules were strict, but not excessivly so. They say it was exactly what they expected. Most of them came for Independent Baptist Churches so I guess they were used to rules. I believe the handbook is published online so none of the rules should come as a surprise.

I think Liberty would be a good choice of school for those who want more relaxed school experience. Baylor claims to have Baptist roots, but I assume they have far more relaxed rules than PCC.

Why choose a very conservative Christian college then complain about their rules?

Why choose a very conservative Christian college then complain about their rules?

This is a topic that comes up fairly frequently on the FFF, in all its incarnations.

First, there are rules, and there are rules. One of the main purposes of the Student Voice was to bring to light PCC's many unwritten rules. We can agree, for example, that a male and female student meeting together, alone, in a dorm room, isn't kosher. No reasonable Christian would argue with that written rule at a Christian college. But I shouldn't have to agree with the unwritten rule that says they get in trouble for staring into each other's eyes too adoringly, in the refectory, over breakfast. That's their problem, not the school's.

Similarly, we had a discussion years ago (on a previous incarnation of the board, so it's lost, unfortunately) about HAC not making its handbook available except to enrolled students. Secret rules are no different from unwritten ones.

I can give consent to the rules I know about, and it's on me to honour that agreement. I can't consent to the ones they don't tell me about. That's a bait-and-switch, and it's immoral.

Second, rules don't just exist on paper. They will also engender a certain type of environment. For example, are students also encouraged to report every infraction they see? Is there an implied threat that you'll get in trouble if you don't? If I know a couple is fornicating, that would be serious enough to tell the dean. But if I happen to spot a chaste couple slipping into an empty classroom for a quick kiss without anyone seeing, why should I narc on them? That's not a Christian environment; it's a paranoid, totalitarian one.

Third, some rules are dumb, and some are actually evil. There's a long thread somewhere about the rules against interracial dating at some toy Christian college. There's no reason for such a rule other than good old-timey racial prejudice. It's not enough of an answer to retort that I agreed to the rules when I enrolled. I can agree to that rule prior to attending--but I shouldn't, because it's evil, and now I am an accomplice to evil. If I agreed to it at first, but come to a better understanding later of why the rule is sinful, my moral obligation under Christ is not to obey it, but to withstand it.

I don't oppose good, fair, and just rules, and never have--even those stricter than what I would want on my own campus. But if a school has to add a whole bunch of draconian and unwritten rules to follow in order to protect students from breaking the good and just ones, that's not healthy Christianity. It's Pharisaism.

Edit: Also, what Huk said below. Sometimes it's not the student's choice to go there. And there's also the hard sell from the pulpit, telling teens that they'll be "out of God's will for their lives" if they don't go to the church's college or the pastor's alma mater or wherever.

So they may consent to the strict rules, but under duress.

Last edited:
Why would a student choose a college with an independent fundamental Baptist background if they wanted a school with laxed or no rules.
If you grew up in an IFB household, you’d understand. My dad told me I was going to Bob Jones University or I was paying my own way with no support. I chose to go my own way because BJU wasn’t accredited at the time and I just couldn’t deal with the silly rules after enduring a lifetime of them (it was even still racially segregated at that time when it came to dating). I just knew it wasn’t going to get me in the direction I wanted to go, so I decided to do junior college and then go to Clemson. I have no regrets….

Duck

It's none of my business, but did you attend law school and how did that work out.

Defense law
Family law
Corporate
Prosecutor

Just curious

Duck

It's none of my business, but did you attend law school and how did that work out.

Defense law
Family law
Corporate
Prosecutor

Just curious
Yes, but I never practiced law as an attorney. At the time I graduated, public defender/prosecutors had a starting salary less than the salary of our local public school teachers starting salary. I didn’t have the GPA or family connections to really acquire a job in the private sector so I went a different direction with a job offer more in the HR realm of things in which a law degree is not required, but strongly preferred. You’d actually be surprised how many people end up not going the attorney route, though most usually practice a year or two before making that move.

Yes, but I never practiced law as an attorney. At the time I graduated, public defender/prosecutors had a starting salary less than the salary of our local public school teachers starting salary. I didn’t have the GPA or family connections to really acquire a job in the private sector so I went a different direction with a job offer more in the HR realm of things in which a law degree is not required, but strongly preferred. You’d actually be surprised how many people end up not going the attorney route, though most usually practice a year or two before making that move.
well at least you are a real lawyer.... . i get accused of being a pseudo-lawyer all the time for quoting legal statutes i know, or legal prinicples.... but all my college training was medical - - which i have done absolutely nothing with.... :cautious:

but i don;t find it strange that anyone would get a degree in one field of study but end up working in something different... ..my sister hs a phd in psychology.... was inspired to study it while growing up with me and trying to figure me out... 🙃.... but doesn;t work in any traditional field associated with psychology... and she knew even before her education was completed that she would not.... ..

but her knowldge of psychology is still vital to her work and her employer actually recruited her and hired her while still in her first years of college - then helped her pay for the rest for her education.... ...they believed having a strong base in one field of study could be a great benefit working in an unrelated field.... and it looks like both of you proved that true.....

well at least you are a real lawyer.... . i get accused of being a pseudo-lawyer all the time for quoting legal statutes i know, or legal prinicples.... but all my college training was medical - - which i have done absolutely nothing with.... :cautious:

but i don;t find it strange that anyone would get a degree in one field of study but end up working in something different... ..my sister hs a phd in psychology.... was inspired to study it while growing up with me and trying to figure me out... 🙃.... but doesn;t work in any traditional field associated with psychology... and she knew even before her education was completed that she would not.... ..

but her knowldge of psychology is still vital to her work and her employer actually recruited her and hired her while still in her first years of college - then helped her pay for the rest for her education.... ...they believed having a strong base in one field of study could be a great benefit working in an unrelated field.... and it looks like both of you proved that true.....
You are correct, our stories are similar. I also knew I wasn’t going to end up being a lawyer before I graduated. It has opened some pathways for me, but between a non-stellar GPA and being at a non-prestigious school, I just decided to go another path. On a funny note, here’s how one writer described my school: “Anyone who enrolls at one of these should not be allowed to roam the streets unsupervised.” 😆 Here’s a little more about the snobbery of rankings: http://outsidethelawschoolscam.blogspot.com/2017/05/the-seven-tiers-of-law-schools.html?m=1

This is a topic that comes up fairly frequently on the FFF, in all its incarnations.

First, there are rules, and there are rules. One of the main purposes of the Student Voice was to bring to light PCC's many unwritten rules. We can agree, for example, that a male and female student meeting together, alone, in a dorm room, isn't kosher. No reasonable Christian would argue with that written rule at a Christian college. But I shouldn't have to agree with the unwritten rule that says they get in trouble for staring into each other's eyes too adoringly, in the refectory, over breakfast. That's their problem, not the school's.

Similarly, we had a discussion years ago (on a previous incarnation of the board, so it's lost, unfortunately) about HAC not making its handbook available except to enrolled students. Secret rules are no different from unwritten ones.

I can give consent to the rules I know about, and it's on me to honour that agreement. I can't consent to the ones they don't tell me about. That's a bait-and-switch, and it's immoral.

Second, rules don't just exist on paper. They will also engender a certain type of environment. For example, are students also encouraged to report every infraction they see? Is there an implied threat that you'll get in trouble if you don't? If I know a couple is fornicating, that would be serious enough to tell the dean. But if I happen to spot a chaste couple slipping into an empty classroom for a quick kiss without anyone seeing, why should I narc on them? That's not a Christian environment; it's a paranoid, totalitarian one.

Third, some rules are dumb, and some are actually evil. There's a long thread somewhere about the rules against interracial dating at some toy Christian college. There's no reason for such a rule other than good old-timey racial prejudice. It's not enough of an answer to retort that I agreed to the rules when I enrolled. I can agree to that rule prior to attending--but I shouldn't, because it's evil, and now I am an accomplice to evil. If I agreed to it at first, but come to a better understanding later of why the rule is sinful, my moral obligation under Christ is not to obey it, but to withstand it.

I don't oppose good, fair, and just rules, and never have--even those stricter than what I would want on my own campus. But if a school has to add a whole bunch of draconian and unwritten rules to follow in order to protect students from breaking the good and just ones, that's not healthy Christianity. It's Pharisaism.

Edit: Also, what Huk said below. Sometimes it's not the student's choice to go there. And there's also the hard sell from the pulpit, telling teens that they'll be "out of God's will for their lives" if they don't go to the church's college or the pastor's alma mater or wherever.

So they may consent to the strict rules, but under duress.
Everything you described is BJU in 1971 when I attended. For example, a boy and girl student walking on campus, once they entered any building on campus, had to stop talking and immediately separate from each other. If a student knew another BJU attended a movie during Christmas break, they were bound to report that student to the administration. Also no black single students were allowed to be a student at BJU during my time there.