FBCH Bus Ministry - The good and bad

Jo said:
The bad was I gave a bit too much. Takers naturally take advantage of Givers.

I hated the competition it became. I'm not sure everyone saw the individual bus kid. In some cases, they were pawns to feed the bus captain's ego.
I agree. The biggest bus routes that I ever worked on we're the ones I started in California, not Hammond. I worked some long hard hours to get them going but once I did I enlisted worker's. It wasn't long before the route became very large. We would meet every Saturday morning at 9 for a brief meeting and we would go out visiting until noon. Then we would meet for lunch and go home. No one had to visit more than two or two and a half hours every Saturday. I told my workers that if they could not make it on a Saturday just to let me know so one of the other workers or myself could cover for them. No one felt pressure because we all put in the same amount of work and God blessed. We only had one bus but we had a high day of 129 on that bus.  My workers thoroughly enjoyed themselves and made some great relationships with the young people on the bus. The workers were of different strata of economic situations.. One worked for a local newspaper another was a truck driver another was a an engineer, another a service writer.  We also had lady workers who helped on the bus on Sunday. One lady was a woman that we had seen come to Christ who was from Trinidad Tobago. That was the greatest route I ever had the privilege to Captain.

16KJV11 said:
Jo said:

I hated the competition it became. I'm not sure everyone saw the individual bus kid. In some cases, they were pawns to feed the bus captain's ego.
I agree. The biggest bus routes that I ever worked on we're the ones I started in California, not Hammond. I worked some long hard hours to get them going but once I did I enlisted worker's. It wasn't long before the route became very large. We would meet every Saturday morning at 9 for a brief meeting and we would go out visiting until noon. Then we would meet for lunch and go home. No one had to visit more than two or two and a half hours every Saturday. I told my workers that if they could not make it on a Saturday just to let me know so one of the other workers or myself could cover for them. No one felt pressure because we all put in the same amount of work and God blessed. We only had one bus but we had a high day of 129 on that bus.  My workers thoroughly enjoyed themselves and made some great relationships with the young people on the bus. The workers were of different strata of economic situations.. One worked for a local newspaper another was a truck driver another was a an engineer, another a service writer.  We also had lady workers who helped on the bus on Sunday. One lady was a woman that we had seen come to Christ who was from Trinidad Tobago. That was the greatest route I ever had the privilege to Captain.

I also agree.  I also worked a bus route in a small mid-western town.  We would bus call for 2 hours or so and would have a very good number of kids on Sunday.  I do understand that having a bus route in Chicago is a bit of a different game.  Looking back, I believe we could have done bus calling for approximately 3 hours and had the same results.  I wonder who came up with the idea to have college students bus call for 10 hours on Saturday?  It smells a bit of Jim Vineyard.

The bad?  Carbon emissions? 

RAIDER said:
16KJV11 said:
Jo said:

I also agree.  I also worked a bus route in a small mid-western town.  We would bus call for 2 hours or so and would have a very good number of kids on Sunday.  I do understand that having a bus route in Chicago is a bit of a different game.  Looking back, I believe we could have done bus calling for approximately 3 hours and had the same results.  I wonder who came up with the idea to have college students bus call for 10 hours on Saturday?  It smells a bit of Jim Vineyard.
Planting churches, I never spent all day out....and the bills depended on it!

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

It does sound like something Vineyard would have promoted; however, I'm wondering if he ever did it himself. Anyone witness it?

RAIDER, why didn't you add...the Ugly at the end of this thread title?

16KJV11 said:
RAIDER, why didn't you add...the Ugly at the end of this thread title?

If I had done that Teri would have posted more.  ;)