Fear of Change ...

rsc2a said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
rsc2a said:
O ye Corinthians, our mouth is open unto you, our heart is enlarged. Ye are not straitened in us, but ye are straitened in your own bowels. Now for a recompence in the same, (I speak as unto my children,) be ye also enlarged.

This is English?

One pill makes you enlarged
And one pill straightens your bowels
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't pronounce all your vowels
Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall

I thought it said something about Paul telling the Corinthians about him having a heart attack and the them not caring because they had the trots. And, since they didn't care about Paul's heart attack, he was wishing the same on them.

In all seriousness - do we really think we can grab 3 sentences out of a major work and have a full understanding or appreciation of the work?  Context, Context, Context! 

Even a simple speech, such as the Gettysburg address is only full grasped when understanding its context.  How much more should we apply context to such a marvelous work as the Bible?

11 True story, Corinthian bros, and we're like, all vulnerable and stuff, not gettin' all up in yo grill. 12 We're not putting up walls, man, but you dudes be like all "oh no you di'nt" to us.

Now, if you object to this translation, then you might as well object to the KJV translation, too.  Because both are in the vernacular of the day. 

Binaca Chugger said:
In all seriousness - do we really think we can grab 3 sentences out of a major work and have a full understanding or appreciation of the work?  Context, Context, Context! 

Here you go...

We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain. (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.) Giving no offence in any thing, that the ministry be not blamed: But in all things approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses, In stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labours, in watchings, in fastings; By pureness, by knowledge, by long suffering, by kindness, by the Holy Ghost, by love unfeigned, By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, By honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and yet true; As unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold, we live; as chastened, and not killed;
As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things. 

O ye Corinthians, our mouth is open unto you, our heart is enlarged.  Ye are not straitened in us, but ye are straitened in your own bowels.  Now for a recompence in the same, (I speak as unto my children,) be ye also enlarged.

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

rsc2a said:
Binaca Chugger said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
Binaca Chugger said:
I choose not to adapt to a new version for several simple reasons.  I believe the KJV to be a correct translation.  If it is correct, why should I read another?

Because it might be in a version of the language you can understand?

I understand English fairly well, thank you.

O ye Corinthians, our mouth is open unto you, our heart is enlarged. Ye are not straitened in us, but ye are straitened in your own bowels. Now for a recompence in the same, (I speak as unto my children,) be ye also enlarged.

This is English?

As near as I can tell, it has something to do with Paul having heart disease and the Corinthians having constipation, but Paul wishing they had heart disease instead.  ;)

The Rogue Tomato said:
11 True story, Corinthian bros, and we're like, all vulnerable and stuff, not gettin' all up in yo grill. 12 We're not putting up walls, man, but you dudes be like all "oh no you di'nt" to us.

Now, if you object to this translation, then you might as well object to the KJV translation, too.  Because both are in the vernacular of the day.

I actually understand this one better. It's an odd vernacular, but more familiar to me than the that of the KJV.

LOLcat Bible translation is clearer than the KJV:

We has spoken freely 2 u, corinthianz, an opend wide r hearts 2 u. We r not withholdin r affecshun frum u, but u r withholdin yours frum us. As fair exchange - i speek as 2 mah children - open wide ur hearts also.

rsc2a said:

We has spoken freely 2 u, corinthianz, an opend wide r hearts 2 u. We r not withholdin r affecshun frum u, but u r withholdin yours frum us. As fair exchange - i speek as 2 mah children - open wide ur hearts also.

That's why I'm LCVO.

The Rogue Tomato said:
rsc2a said:

That's why I'm LCVO.

Psalm 23 is one of the best.

I don't have a fear of change in reference to my Bible, I am just a KJVO kind of person

Usually I optimistically and eagerly await and welcome change. But not all change is good, only some of it.

But so far as change vs. bills, bills are usually worth a lot more.  ;D

If we change change, do we have the norm or a fractured faction?

Fear God, and the king, and meddle not with those given to change.

Anishinabe

Binaca Chugger said:
I have long been against progressive education which calls for the dumbing down of the standard to meet the level of the student.  I am against such practice, whether the topic be mathematics, history or the English language.  Especially when we approach something of such significance as Scripture, why not help people grow in their ability to understand English, and the Bible, rather than dumbing down the Scripture?

Better yet, why not teach people the actual languages of the Bible and not dumb it down to the English language?

Binaca Chugger said:
rsc2a said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
rsc2a said:

This is English?

Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall

I thought it said something about Paul telling the Corinthians about him having a heart attack and the them not caring because they had the trots. And, since they didn't care about Paul's heart attack, he was wishing the same on them.

Even a simple speech, such as the Gettysburg address is only full grasped when understanding its context.  How much more should we apply context to such a marvelous work as the Bible?

So, do you believe we should use context to help us interpret the meaning of words and passages?  You might be surprised how much interpretation is involved in the actual translation process.  Just something to think about.

BandGuy said:
Binaca Chugger said:
rsc2a said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
rsc2a said:

This is English?

Context over content, but content is great.

Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall

So, do you believe we should use context to help us interpret the meaning of words and passages?  You might be surprised how much interpretation is involved in the actual translation process.  Just something to think about.

Timothy said:
Do you believe the KJVonly crowd are just a group of people with a fear of change?

A fear that creates panic.

Desperately trying to prove the old should stay ....

I am a King James only person.  There are a few reasons that I am this way.  One of the main reasons is that, there are two sides to this issue, one side says there is only one true word of God and that is the King James Bible.  The other side says the King James is good but so are all of these. 

There is ONE THING that both sides agree on, and that is the King James Bible. 

IMO, a person can read all they want on either side of this issue, and whatever book they read or documentary they watch it will be bias to what the author believes his/her findings are. 

Fear of change, No. 

Bruh said:
The other side says the King James is good but so are all of these.

Correction... the other side says that the King James Bible is the word of God as well as the NIV, NASB, ESV....

Darkwing Duck said:
Timothy said:
Do you believe the KJVonly crowd are just a group of people with a fear of change?

A fear that creates panic.

Desperately trying to prove the old should stay ....

I don't think so.
The biggest reason KJVOs don't change is because they don't want to lose faith in God. To a KJVO person there is a progression toward unbelief that begins by questioning whether the KJV is true. If you decide that the KJV has errors then you start looking for a version without errors. Then you realize that all English versions probably contain errors. (at least I don't think there is such a thing as an NIVO or a RSVO, etc.) Then you realize that there is no existing accurate Bible. So maybe we don't have a clue what Christianity is or should be. . .

Well, this is the path I took.

Probably the most insightful and honest post in the thread.

[quote author=Darkwing Duck]The biggest reason KJVOs don't change is because they don't want to lose faith in God. To a KJVO person there is a progression toward unbelief that begins by questioning whether the KJV is true. If you decide that the KJV has errors then you start looking for a version without errors. Then you realize that all English versions probably contain errors. (at least I don't think there is such a thing as an NIVO or a RSVO, etc.) Then you realize that there is no existing accurate Bible. So maybe we don't have a clue what Christianity is or should be. . .

Well, this is the path I took.[/quote]

Then this person ultimately places their faith in a Bible translation, not in God Himself...

...which would actually match the expectations I have developed for KJVOs based on the ones I know.

rsc2a said:
[quote author=Darkwing Duck]The biggest reason KJVOs don't change is because they don't want to lose faith in God. To a KJVO person there is a progression toward unbelief that begins by questioning whether the KJV is true. If you decide that the KJV has errors then you start looking for a version without errors. Then you realize that all English versions probably contain errors. (at least I don't think there is such a thing as an NIVO or a RSVO, etc.) Then you realize that there is no existing accurate Bible. So maybe we don't have a clue what Christianity is or should be. . .

Well, this is the path I took.

Then this person ultimately places their faith in a Bible translation, not in God Himself...

...which would actually match the expectations I have developed for KJVOs based on the ones I know.
[/quote]

Yep, seems to be so.

And I have not heard anyone expect KJVO's argue that a perfect translation even exists.