Fear of Change ...

Timothy said:
Do you believe the KJVonly crowd are just a group of people with a fear of change?

More like inventing a false sense of certainty.

FSSL said:
Bruh said:
The other side says the King James is good but so are all of these.

Correction... the other side says that the King James Bible is the word of God as well as the NIV, NASB, ESV....

I'm sure I am not as educated as you are, but I believe that is what I am saying?

ALAYMAN said:
Darkwing Duck said:
Timothy said:
Do you believe the KJVonly crowd are just a group of people with a fear of change?

A fear that creates panic.

Desperately trying to prove the old should stay ....

I don't think so.
The biggest reason KJVOs don't change is because they don't want to lose faith in God. To a KJVO person there is a progression toward unbelief that begins by questioning whether the KJV is true. If you decide that the KJV has errors then you start looking for a version without errors. Then you realize that all English versions probably contain errors. (at least I don't think there is such a thing as an NIVO or a RSVO, etc.) Then you realize that there is no existing accurate Bible. So maybe we don't have a clue what Christianity is or should be. . .

Well, this is the path I took.

Probably the most insightful and honest post in the thread.

If this is what a person believes, then yes, what part is accurate?  What part do we stand on?  What part do I try and share with a person that is having a hard time in life at the moment?  What part is thus saith the Lord?

rsc2a said:
[quote author=Darkwing Duck]The biggest reason KJVOs don't change is because they don't want to lose faith in God. To a KJVO person there is a progression toward unbelief that begins by questioning whether the KJV is true. If you decide that the KJV has errors then you start looking for a version without errors. Then you realize that all English versions probably contain errors. (at least I don't think there is such a thing as an NIVO or a RSVO, etc.) Then you realize that there is no existing accurate Bible. So maybe we don't have a clue what Christianity is or should be. . .

Then this person ultimately places their faith in a Bible translation, not in God Himself...

...which would actually match the expectations I have developed for KJVOs based on the ones I know.
[/quote]

If there were no Bible what would we reference? 

Bruh said:
rsc2a said:
[quote author=Darkwing Duck]The biggest reason KJVOs don't change is because they don't want to lose faith in God. To a KJVO person there is a progression toward unbelief that begins by questioning whether the KJV is true. If you decide that the KJV has errors then you start looking for a version without errors. Then you realize that all English versions probably contain errors. (at least I don't think there is such a thing as an NIVO or a RSVO, etc.) Then you realize that there is no existing accurate Bible. So maybe we don't have a clue what Christianity is or should be. . .

Then this person ultimately places their faith in a Bible translation, not in God Himself...

...which would actually match the expectations I have developed for KJVOs based on the ones I know.

If there were no Bible what would we reference? [/quote]

His Body, the Church...the thing that should be the most obvious witness anyways...

Izdaari said:
rsc2a said:

Yep, seems to be so.

And I have not heard anyone expect KJVO's argue that a perfect translation even exists.
[/quote]

So, what part do you trust to be perfect in order to follow? 

rsc2a said:
Bruh said:
rsc2a said:

If there were no Bible what would we reference?

His Body, the Church...the thing that should be the most obvious witness anyways...
[/quote]

Where do you learn about the body of Christ?  Where do you learn how the Body of Christ is to operate?

Ransom said:
Timothy said:

More like inventing a false sense of certainty.

What is certain about the Bible?

[quote author=Bruh]Where do you learn about the body of Christ?  Where do you learn how the Body of Christ is to operate?
[/quote]

As you participate in being the Body of Christ.

Do I teach my kids the Bible? Do we discuss the things taught within? Definitely.

But the biggest lessons, the times they most clearly 'get' it?  It's those times when they clearly see my wife and I loving our neighbors...and when they get to be co-participants in these moments of being the hands and feet of Jesus.

rsc2a said:
[quote author=Bruh]Where do you learn about the body of Christ?  Where do you learn how the Body of Christ is to operate?

Do I teach my kids the Bible? Do we discuss the things taught within? Definitely.

But the biggest lessons, the times they most clearly 'get' it?  It's those times when they clearly see my wife and I loving our neighbors...and when they get to be co-participants in these moments of being the hands and feet of Jesus.
[/quote]

I agree.  And I pray my children see the same. 

Do you teach your children that God has flaws in His Word?  Or do you teach that every word can be trusted and followed?

Bruh said:
rsc2a said:

But we are talking about Bible translations.  Do you teach your children that God has flaws in His Word.  Or do you teach that every word can be trusted and followed. [/quote]

I teach my kids that God is perfect and we are not. I teach them that the most important thing is Jesus and that all of creation is for Him and by Him. I teach them that every story we see, every story we read, every story we are part of ultimately points back to Jesus somehow. I teach them that not understanding is perfectly fine and that "I don't know is an acceptable answer". I teach them that, in spite of our questions, God is always faithful...

...so they really don't care if there are minor differences in the translations or even in different tellings (same translation) of the same stories.

rsc2a said:
Bruh said:
rsc2a said:

But we are talking about Bible translations.  Do you teach your children that God has flaws in His Word.  Or do you teach that every word can be trusted and followed.

I teach my kids that God is perfect and we are not. I teach them that the most important thing is Jesus and that all of creation is for Him and by Him. I teach them that every story we see, every story we read, every story we are part of ultimately points back to Jesus somehow. I teach them that not understanding is perfectly fine and that "I don't know is an acceptable answer". I teach them that, in spite of our questions, God is always faithful...

...so they really don't care if there are minor differences in the translations or even in different tellings (same translation) of the same stories.
[/quote]

So you are not under the persuasion that the Bible has errors? As some on here do believe that there are errors.   

Bruh said:
rsc2a said:
Bruh said:
rsc2a said:

But we are talking about Bible translations.  Do you teach your children that God has flaws in His Word.  Or do you teach that every word can be trusted and followed.

So you are not under the persuasion that the Bible has errors? As some on here do believe that there are errors.  [/quote]

It would depend on how one would define errors.

Bruh said:
ALAYMAN said:
Darkwing Duck said:
Timothy said:

I don't think so.
The biggest reason KJVOs don't change is because they don't want to lose faith in God. To a KJVO person there is a progression toward unbelief that begins by questioning whether the KJV is true. If you decide that the KJV has errors then you start looking for a version without errors. Then you realize that all English versions probably contain errors. (at least I don't think there is such a thing as an NIVO or a RSVO, etc.) Then you realize that there is no existing accurate Bible. So maybe we don't have a clue what Christianity is or should be. . .

If this is what a person believes, then yes, what part is accurate?  What part do we stand on?  What part do I try and share with a person that is having a hard time in life at the moment?  What part is thus saith the Lord?

I didn't say the Bible had inaccuracies.  I said that the reason that many KJVo folk hold to that theory of preservation is because to admit that "every word" is not perfectly preserved and conveyed in one translation leaves them with an uneasy feeling about what inspiration and inerrancy mean in a practical sense.

ALAYMAN said:
Bruh said:
ALAYMAN said:
Darkwing Duck said:
Timothy said:

I don't think so.

I didn't say the Bible had inaccuracies.  I said that the reason that many KJVo folk hold to that theory of preservation is because to admit that "every word" is not perfectly preserved and conveyed in one translation leaves them with an uneasy feeling about what inspiration and inerrancy mean in a practical sense.

So do you believe that every word has been preserved in every translation?

Bruh said:
So do you believe that every word has been preserved in every translation?

no

rsc2a said:
Bruh said:
rsc2a said:
Bruh said:
rsc2a said:

So you are not under the persuasion that the Bible has errors? As some on here do believe that there are errors. 

[/quote]

How would rsc2a define errors?

Bruh said:
rsc2a said:
[quote author=Bruh]So you are not under the persuasion that the Bible has errors? As some on here do believe that there are errors. 

How would rsc2a define errors?[/quote]

Statements that would conflict with the intended meaning/understanding of the original author(s).

rsc2a said:
Bruh said:
rsc2a said:
[quote author=Bruh]So you are not under the persuasion that the Bible has errors? As some on here do believe that there are errors. 

How would rsc2a define errors?

Statements that would conflict with the intended meaning/understanding of the original author(s).
[/quote]

And in that sense, I would say the Bible is remarkably free from error.  All the errors I could point to are really just faulty or questionable translation (not in any one particular version; all versions have some of those), glosses added by copyists, or suboptimal choice of manuscripts, or popular misreadings of a text that really doesn't say what everyone supposes it says.

Izdaari said:
And in that sense, I would say the Bible is remarkably free from error.  All the errors I could point to are really just faulty or questionable translation (not in any one particular version; all versions have some of those), glosses added by copyists, or suboptimal choice of manuscripts, or popular misreadings of a text that really doesn't say what everyone supposes it says.

Not only that, but some of what people call "error" is a missing verse or passage.  But all the better translations have footnotes with the missing text AND they make you aware of WHY text isn't where you expect it.  So it's not like they really removed it.  It's up to the reader (guided by the Spirit) to decide where he believe the text belongs.