First Annual FFF Color Tour 2023

We had a really moderate summer but in the last several weeks (until yesterday) we had an extended dry spell which likely will prevent a nice color burst. The browns and yellows are abundant, very few orange or reds, so nothing to show.🙁. Hopefully this rain today can save us, but think it is too little too late.

I love this idea...

Colors began turning even before August ended.

1000001052.jpg
This is our persimmon tree. It's always a reliable color changer. We usually see hundreds of silver dollar sized persimmons on it this time of year but haven't seen any so far. The deer love them.

Last edited:
1000001053.jpg
This is our St. Helen's decorative plum. Wonderful sweet smelling blossoms in the spring. They tend to go a bit green during the heat of summer but this one kept its purple color all year. For a decorative, it sure produces a bunch of cherry sized plums.

1000001054.jpg
These "weeds" have been springing up on the property for the past several years. By now, they're usually browned out but a mild late summer has kept them healthy. I like the late summer blossoms.

The Normal Hill neighborhood of Lewiston has a bunch of maples that turn fiery red in October. I'll try to remember to post some pictures of them when they turn.

Also, dogwoods, which are in abundance in the Lewiston Orchards have been taking on their fall colors. Again, if I think of it, I'll snap a shot of some and post.

I saw a whole bunch of trees just the other day that had turned bright yellow. I don't remember where it was, otherwise I'd go and snap a picture. In my neighbourhood, everything is still green, other than the ubuquitous Prunus x cistera (purple leaf sand cherry) trees, which turn dark purple early in the summer and stay that way.

1000001067.jpg
An oak starting to turn.

1000001058.jpg
This maple should be firey red in a few weeks. 🍁

A start to the color declaration of His handiwork, with mist kissing the valley and hilltops….

IMG_0907.jpeg

IMG_0908.jpeg

1000000618.jpg
Not fall colors but a color I look forward to each June. Munstead lavender is a dwarf English lavender with fantastic aroma. It's HARD to kill which is why it does so well under my care. My favorite part is I don't have to wait for it to bloom to enjoy it's aroma. All I have to do is trim or weed it almost any time of year to enjoy its fragrance.

I saw a whole bunch of trees just the other day that had turned bright yellow. I don't remember where it was, otherwise I'd go and snap a picture.

The trees in my neighbourhood are starting to turn now, too. I like the contrast between the yellow tree on the corner, and the purple one across the street:

IMG_20230930_125935.png

Right now?

Well, shoot! How did you know, AB?
This was actually from several years ago, but it was as the seasons changed. I couldn't resist sharing it because I thought it was so nice. But no, not right now.

Well, shoot! How did you know, AB?
This was actually from several years ago, but it was as the seasons changed. I couldn't resist sharing it because I thought it was so nice. But no, not right now.
I was going to say...
That's what some parts of the Normal Hill neighborhood in Lewiston ID look like in mid-late October. It's nice to see Southern states get color too.

a tree in hawaii would never look like that unless it was on fire.... . and i must admit - it is very beautiful.... i can imagine it being a lot of fun to jump into the pile of leaves after all that falls off the tree and is raked up..:)...

You mean like, this......

DCP_3775.JPG

Here's one from years ago that shows a better burst of orange/red on the sugar maple in our front yard (along with the burning bush, frost on the ground, and little ALAYBOY)...

100_0766.JPG

Last edited:
I'm partial to days getting longer and nights getting warmer but I do appreciate the mild October temperatures. We've had so much rain since the end of August, if it wasn't for the changing leaves, you'd think it was spring here. I was just driving around on my route noticing how green everyone's lawns are...

I'm sitting at the high school waiting for my next batch of kids. The high school is newly built within the last couple years. The campus is dotted with a variety of trees, many of them are fruitless pears, popular for long lasting spring blossoms and quick growth. But right now, I'm looking straight at a young magnolia.

Last edited: