First Annual FFF Color Tour 2023

I'm partial to days getting longer and nights getting warmer but I do appreciate the mild October temperatures. We've had so much rain since the end of August, if it wasn't for the changing leaves, you'd think it was spring here. I was just driving around on my route noticing how green everyone's lawns are...

I'm sitting at the high school waiting for my next batch of kids. The high school is newly built within the last couple years. The campus is dotted with a variety of trees, many of them are fruitless pears, popular for long lasting spring blossoms and quick growth. But right now, I'm looking straight at a young magnolia.
this is the hottest part of the year for us... more kona winds than trades... and very little rain... it starts getting cooler here right around the end of october and early november... about the same time the humpback whales arrive - in fact it seems like they bring it with them..... but when i say cooler i;m talking about it going from mid to high 80s with nights in the high 70s..... down to lower 70s and mid to high 60s at night..... nothing at all like mainland temperature changes.... tourists barely notice it... .. but those of us acclimated to the tropics feel it.... that;s when we bust out our version of winter wear.... ❄️

My wife calls it "Fall Fallage" and so that is what I call it even though she got really upset with me when I didn't tell her the correct pronounciation but I just LOOOOVE the way she says it (and the way she mispronounces other words)! I keep reminding her that she will always speak better English than I speak Filipino!

The leaves have not changed much here yet, but when they do, it's awesome.

Tis the season... lovely leaves, glorious weather and aphids!

Not to mention another annoying October blossom, Signus Campaignus... otherwise known as campaign signs. Not too bad this year but next year they'll be terrible!

1000001118.jpg
1000001119.jpg
Texas Ash and a dogwood with it's red berries near the LCSC campus in Lewiston ID.

Not this years foliage, but one of the house I own next to mine showing a typical surrounding color-burst in our holler.
04 - Around Vaunda's house.JPG

I wear a walker boot and have some mobility. Still no hikes in the near future, but I can get around town. Still not much change in the color yet. That usually gets going later in the month. But last night I dreamed I saw a gorgeous tree and got out of my car to shoot it with my phone to post here. The sky was overcast, and just as I touched the "shutter," boom! The noon sun came out and ruined my exposure! :p

The leaves are now changing here in the heart of America. Strapped on my walker boot and hobbled along the asphalt and graded gravel paths of Burr Oak Woods in Blue Springs Missouri.

1000001134.jpgBusiness in Spokane today. On the way home, I stopped to top off the tank. The trees were the same color as my bike!

Last edited:
The leaves are now changing here in the heart of America. Strapped on my walker boot and hobbled along the asphalt and graded gravel paths of Burr Oak Woods in Blue Springs Missouri.

Added 10 photos. Nothing helps color saturation like a rainy day.

1000001228.jpg
Sugar maples in the Normal Hill neighborhood of Lewiston.

Normal Hill is one of the oldest neighborhoods in Lewiston ID. Sitting atop bluffs that overlook both the Snake and Clearwater rivers, Normal Hill was named after the Lewiston State Normal School, now Lewis Clark State College.

Normal Hill is where Walt Disney married Lilian Bounds in 1925.

If you've heard of "Mailing Mae", the little girl whose parents couldn't afford train fare so they mailed her to visit her grandma... The house she was mailed to still stands just a few blocks from Jenifer Middle School. (Where I snapped the picture of the ash tree a couple posts back)

Near Jenifer, there also used to be a Single-A farm team for the Kansas City Athletics where a young Reggie Jackson played for a season.

I get to drive through Normal Hill every day on my bus route. Kinda neat.

Last edited: