First Baptist Church of Hammond and Baptist Successionism

Jrock

Elect
Reaction score
In his book, Enemies of Soulwinning, Jack Hyles taught  Landmarkism/Baptist successionism (the belief that the Baptist church is the original church), that the church started in AD 31 when Christ was still alive (and not at Pentecost), and that the Catholic Church was started by the Emperor Constantine in AD 313. Many IFB's don't believe in a "universal church" or that Baptists are Protestants.

Landmarkism is a type of Baptist ecclesiology developed in the American South in the mid-19th century. It attributes an unbroken continuity and legitimacy to the Baptist Church since Apostolic times. It includes the belief in the exclusive validity of Baptist churches and invalidity of non-Baptist churchly acts. It led to intense debates and splits in the white Baptist community.

Baptist successionism (also known as "Baptist perpetuity") is one of several theories on the origin and continuation of Baptist churches. The tenet of the theory is that there has been an unbroken chain of churches since the days of John the Baptist, who baptized Christ, which have held similar beliefs (though not always the name) of current Baptists. Ancient anti-paedobaptist groups, such as the Montanists, Paulicians, Cathari, Waldenses, Albigenses, and Anabaptists, have been among those viewed by Baptist successionists as the predecessors of modern-day Baptists.

The perpetuity view is often identified with The Trail of Blood, a pamphlet by J.M. Carroll published in 1931. Other Baptist writers who held the perpetuity view are John T. Christian, Thomas Crosby, G. H. Orchard, J. M. Cramp, William Cathcart, Adam Taylor and D. B. Ray.

So is Landmarkism or Baptist Successionism still being taught at FBCH and HAC?

This is not openly taught. If it were there are many of us who would vocally oppose it.

I think you are slightly inaccurate. Yes, Bro. Hyles taught that there is no universal church. Yes, Bro. Hyles taught that the church started in Jesus' lifetime not at Pentecost. Yes, Bro. Hyles taught a concept he called the perpetuity of the local church. But he meant by that that the local church has a grant of protection from God and it doesn't have to go out of business. He did not mean that every other church had to come directly from some other church in order to be valid. Yes, he believed that Baptists were the original Christians but he was not a Landmarker.

And BG wouldn't say a word to anyone not even in this forum if it were taught. He would say something on here after JW died and or left.

Tom Brennan said:
Yes, Bro. Hyles taught that there is no universal church.

Since the man openly taught blatant heresy, I find it off-putting that so many who called themselves followers of Jesus would hang on his every word.

I also agree that FBCH does not believe in all aspects of Landmarkism. It would probably be more accurate to descibed their beliefs as "Baptist Successionists".

Bruh said:
And BG wouldn't say a word to anyone not even in this forum if it were taught. He would say something on here after JW died and or left.

So I'm not the only one who has noticed this?

IFB X-Files said:
RAIDER said:
Bruh said:

Nope, you're not alone.

"I set under the preaching of Jack Hyles for many years and I was a deacon.  His ministry was evil.  I set under the preaching of Jack Schaap for several years and I was a deacon.  His minisrty was evil.  I am currrently sitting under the preaching of John Wilkerson and I am a deacon.  When he is gone I will tell you how evil he was."

BKW autobiography.

RAIDER said:
IFB X-Files said:
RAIDER said:
Bruh said:

Nope, you're not alone.

"I set under the preaching of Jack Hyles for many years and I was a deacon.  His ministry was evil.  I set under the preaching of Jack Schaap for several years and I was a deacon.  His minisrty was evil.  I am currrently sitting under the preaching of John Wilkerson and I am a deacon.  When he is gone I will tell you how evil he was."

BKW autobiography.

And he WILL NOT admit that JW is KJVO.

Bruh said:
RAIDER said:
IFB X-Files said:
RAIDER said:
Bruh said:

Nope, you're not alone.

BKW autobiography.

And he will not go ask him.

RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
RAIDER said:
IFB X-Files said:
RAIDER said:
Bruh said:

Nope, you're not alone.

BKW autobiography.

And he will not go ask him.

And he believes JW is not KJVO.

I think he believes this at times, really.

This is all that is stated at their church's website regarding the King James Version. I quote "We believe in the King James Version of the Bible." - That's all it said, nothing is stated whether they believe that the KJV is the only "inspired" or "preserved" word of God.

Why is there any reason to single out one translation?

Just for the record I'm not KJV only, it's a man made doctrine with no scriptural support.

rsc2a said:

Because the people of the church believe the KJV is God's preserved Word for English speaking people.  They believe all other versions to have errors.

JS was crazy, but not crazy enough to replace the KJV at FBCH.

He spent money like a mad man, cursed ppl out said perverted things about the Lords table and other perverted things behind the pulpit BUT you bes believe he KNEW BETTER than to replace the KJV bible at FBCH.

From what I understand they were willing to cover up when he was molesting that teenage girl but if he would have attempted to replace the KJV bible they would have voted him out.

rsc2a said:

Is this a sincere question?  If it is, then I suggest you do some research.  Do you really see no issue with the 1952 RV?  Good News for Modern Man?

RAIDER said:
rsc2a said:

Because the people of the church believe the KJV is God's preserved Word for English speaking people.  They believe all other versions to have errors.
Ergo they are KJVo.