Fisher vs Fisherman

A modern opera house probably has supertitles (projecting the English translation over the stage) or some other kind of captioning system.

The Canadian Opera Company invented that system and was the first to use it. My one and only opera (so far) was Beethoven's one and only opera, Fidelio, a COC production in 1991, and it was already using them.

As it happened, my second cousin was in the chorus, which I didn't know at the time (my girlfriend found his name in the program and asked if he was a relative). That was cool.

I'd love to see more, but in addition to it being an expensive pastime to attend live, Ottawa's professional opera company shut down a decade ago.
I’d be willing to attend one with captioning provided.

I’d be willing to attend one with captioning provided.
Even if not, the program will give you a synopsis of the story, and you can see the action on stage. You don't really need to understand the opera word-for-word to just sit back and enjoy the spectacle.

The other day I had a girl ask me if I was a “fisher.” The question threw me off for a few seconds because I wasn’t very familiar with the term, but I got the drift. I guess it’s no longer PC to say “fisherman.” 🙄

https://hakaimagazine.com/news/fishers-or-fishermen-which-right/#:~:text=“Fishers”%20is%20most%20commonly%20used,the%20North%20American%20fishing%20industry.
This is the stupidest article in the world. These people make me want to throw up. I grew up in the Allegheny National Forest, in a small town. Fisherman is the term, as is second baseman, when referring to female softball players. I have never heard any one try to change it to second baseperson. Until the liberal university professors try to force locals to swallow their gender-neutral offended by everything garbage, it was all good.

I’m not sure if I’d even want to go to a real opera if I couldn’t understand a single word sung. I definitely don’t see myself learning Italian, French or German in this lifetime. I’ve always considered learning Spanish a little better because it’s more practical these days.
that;s the way i watched tv when i was really young.. ..my favorite channel was an oldies retro channel that played cartoons in the early morning and reruns of older shows after that... and it was all in english..... i spent those early years watching the banana splits... the monkeys.. rat patrol... airwolf... even the older sesame street shows... and several others i can;t remember the name of - without understanding a single word they said..... ... but after a while i did start to understand.... slowly it all started making sense and eventually i figured out what they were talking about... ..a few years ago i learned all the russian cuss words watching crash videos on youtube from russian dash cams....

but i am not sure how that would work with an opera..... or if it would even work at all.... it takes clear images of what is being talked about to learn that way....

Last edited:
that;s the way i watched tv when i was really young.. ..my favorite channel was an oldies retro channel that played cartoons in the early morning and reruns of older shows after that... and it was all in english..... i spent those early years watching the banana splits... the monkeys.. rat patrol... airwolf... even the older sesame street shows... and several others i can;t remember the name of - without understanding a single word they said..... ... but after a while i did start to understand.... slowly it all started making sense and eventually i figured out what they were talking about... ..a few years ago i learned all the russian cuss words watching crash videos on youtube from russian dash cams....

but i am not sure how that would work with an opera..... or if it would even work at all.... it takes clear images of what is being talked about to learn that way....

Haha. Me too!! I never understood how everyone knew to have a cam on their dashboard because they were fixing to CRASH!!!

Haha. Me too!! I never understood how everyone knew to have a cam on their dashboard because they were fixing to CRASH!!!
i was told everyone in russia started using dash cams due to rampant police corruption... some have them both in front and in back of their cars.... . ..and since everyone there drives like a maniac with no regard for safety, accidents are common.... especially pedestrian accidents - since pedestrians there don;t seem to have much regard for safety either.... not even their own.......

It's not. It's musical theatre, not true opera. The lines are blurred somewhat, but the major differences are: musicals have a greater emphasis on dance and acting whereas in opera, the emphasis is on the singing (a major opera star is not necessarily an actor); musicals incorporate popular and commercial music styles, generally sung in a style that would not be appropriate for opera; a greater proportion of the libretto for the musical will be spoken dialogue rather than sung. And a few other things.

Very little of the dialogue in The Phantom of the Opera is spoken rather than sung. The same is true of Les Miserables. They're what's known as sung-through musicals.

When I went on a cruise on Royal Carribean, we went to their Broadway production of "CATS". We liked it so much that we went twice and then, once off of the ship and back in Atlanta, we went a third time to The Fox Theater on Peachtree St. We loved it.

HowEVER, most people tend to not like it. I'm a member of a Royal Carribean message board and there were so many comments about how they couldn't stand CATS and didn't stay for the second half. And I remember when we were on board, I remember seeing empty seats the second half.

The reason they gave was that they didn't understand what was going on. They didn't understand the plot. And this play was in English. But it was SUNG - not spoken.

"CATS" was musical theater, not opera. Like Ransom said, alot of the emphasis was on dance. Here is a short clip emphasising that.

And just for spits and giggles, here is a clip of its most famous song, which you may recognize:

On the other hand, opera does not emphasize dance or popular people of the time. It's about the voice. While they do have sets and costumes, the voice is emphasized. And it being in another language, I can certainly understand why, not knowing WHAT was being sung, one might not care for it. Here's a song you may recognize:

Opera does not depend on a certain race or beauty or frill but, on the gorgeous voice and may this diva rest in peace: Jessye Norman

Last edited:
One of a kind. My CD of Fidelio is this one:

514pUSC4U4L.jpg

When I went on a cruise on Royal Carribean, we went to their Broadway production of "CATS". We liked it so much that we went twice and then, once off of the ship and back in Atlanta, we went a third time to The Fox Theater on Peachtree St. We loved it.
I can say I’ve attended one Broadway show in NYC. It was Mary Poppins and we mostly attended for the sake of my daughter, but it was quite enjoyable even for adults.

I attended a Broadway play in NYC once. How To Succeed in Business Without Trying, with Matthew Broderick. I was back row so I didn't see faces well but Matthew Broderick's voice was very distinctive. Same for the off Broadway production of Beauty and the Beast in LA with Tom Bosley as Belle's father. At that one, OJ Simpson's kids were there and I accidentally got caught in the crush of paparazzi. I was horribly tempted to grab one and body slam him. 🤬

The reason they gave was that they didn't understand what was going on. They didn't understand the plot.
That's because there's not much of one. Cats is a selection of T.S. Eliot's whimsical and delightful poems about the temperments and curious behaviors observed in the domesticated species put to music and strung together with a very loose and nebulous plot line. There are a couple original pieces thrown in, too.

Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats

I love the musical. I wasn't thrilled with the costumes or some of the choreography. Some of that was overdone in the movie, too, which, by the way, I think got a bum rap. For what it was, it was a decent version. They fleshed out what it has of a plot line a little more, but it's the music and the poetry that makes the show.

The one Broadway show that I have seen was off Broadway. It is called the Million Dollar Quartet.
My friend Jared starred in it for a year on Broadway.

He lived 3 houses from us and attended our church. He is an amazingly talented musician and singer. He told me at length of the lifestyle of Broadway people. 16 hour days, fantastic pay (150k), and you get burned out if you don't watch yourself. He quit after a year to raise his kids and love his wife.

I can say I’ve attended one Broadway show in NYC. It was Mary Poppins and we mostly attended for the sake of my daughter, but it was quite enjoyable even for adults.

I would have enjoyed it as well, Dr. HukNduck! Any show like that would have suited my fancy. I have been to Broadway only once. And I saw two plays. One was horrid and the other sublime: I saw "Kiss of the Spiderwoman" with Vanessa Williams and couldn't wait to get out of there. And then, I saw "Showboat" and the hairs on my arms stood on their ends from the glorious singing. I loved it!

Last edited: