Fundies get hung up on the stupidest things...

Patebald

Elect
Reaction score
I honestly forget these ridiculous issues exist until I hop on here and am reminded of them. At what point will the fundies throw in the towel of the "Old Paths" and start focusing on real world issues?

You lose any credibility you could have when you lump SBTS in with fundys.  Either that, or you put yourself squarely in with the contemporelevant crowd by attempting to marginalize conservative evangelicals by using epithets like "fundy" on them.  It's the same thing that the moderates of the SBC did to Rogers/Stanley/Merritt/Mohler when they took back over. 

Oftentimes people are known by who they identify with, birds of a feather and all that.  Baptists were identified by their enemies because they rebaptized, and conservatives Christians of all kinds today are known by their uber-relevant obsessed distant kin as fundys I guess.

Castor Muscular said:
Don't worry.  I'll pretend I don't know you.

Just be sure to carry a Bible wherever you go and I'm sure that I'd never believe it was you.

ALAYMAN said:
Castor Muscular said:

Just be sure to carry a Bible wherever you go and I'm sure that I'd never believe it was you.

I don't need no steenkin' Bible.  I gots me a smartphone.

Castor Muscular said:
ALAYMAN said:
Castor Muscular said:

That IS a Bible, if it has a Bible app on it.  :p

Patebald said:
I honestly forget these ridiculous issues exist until I hop on here and am reminded of them. At what point will the fundies throw in the towel of the "Old Paths" and start focusing on real world issues?

"Old Paths" indeed. When I think of those, I think of Eastern Orthodoxy. IMO, that is the church tradition that has changed the least since the 1st century. It is also pretty far from IFB, which is a much more recent innovation. That doesn't mean I think EO has everything right, else I'd be one.

Izdaari said:
Patebald said:

"Old Paths" indeed. When I think of those, I think of Eastern Orthodoxy. IMO, that is the church tradition that has changed the least since the 1st century. It is also pretty far from IFB, which is a much more recent innovation. That doesn't mean I think EO has everything right, else I'd be one.

I tend to agree. EO has used the LXX as OT and untranslated Greek NT since the time of the Apostles.

You lose any credibility you could have when you lump SBTS in with fundys. 

I have no idea what you're talking about

Either that, or you put yourself squarely in with the contemporelevant crowd by attempting to marginalize conservative evangelicals by using epithets like "fundy" on them.  It's the same thing that the moderates of the SBC did to Rogers/Stanley/Merritt/Mohler when they took back over.

I'm not in any crowd, bro. I'm on a forum that is frequented by fundies and so I used the term that is familiar to most everyone here. The arguments are worn out and tired. They need to be retired for good. I don't care who is preaching them - the SBC, the IFB or the Mormons.

Oftentimes people are known by who they identify with, birds of a feather and all that.  Baptists were identified by their enemies because they rebaptized, and conservatives Christians of all kinds today are known by their uber-relevant obsessed distant kin as fundys I guess.

Yeah... I'm not too sure I'd wear that as a merit badge.

Patebald said:

FWIW, I had no idea, either.  And I didn't see any mention of SBTS (whatever that is) in your post.

Patebald said:

At 12:50 today you made a post in the thread about electronic Bibles in the pulpit.  Five minutes later than that comment you started this new thread.  Are you saying that there wasn't any connection of your thought from the post you made at 12:50 to the thread you started at 12:55?

In that thread you mentioned "old paths" in conjunction with Trieber.  The essence of your contributions to that thread was that it was much ado about nothing.  The author of the article that started that thread was a SBTS guy, so in effect, you were saying he was a fundy.  You can spin that however you want, but to call the folks of the SBTS "fundys" is to do just what I said, either you are marginalizing people with false labels, or you are a full blown contemporelevant guy now so far left of center that you have lost perspective what conservative evangelicalism really is.

Patebald said:

To quote you on another thread....'None of my business'.
;)

Patebald said:

I can't speak as a fundy, since I ain't one. but...

... one reason I refuse to scurry away from the "old paths" of eternally un-changing truth to cruise the highway of relevance with the in-crowd is that most of the things that "matter" to hipsters won't matter much in a month or two.

IOW, hipster Christians  and their "real world issues" are like my East Tennessee weather.  If what's happening now doesn't float your boat-  just wait about five minutes.  It will change.

ALAYMAN said:
Patebald said:

At 12:50 today you made a post in the thread about electronic Bibles in the pulpit.  Five minutes later than that comment you started this new thread.  Are you saying that there wasn't any connection of your thought from the post you made at 12:50 to the thread you started at 12:55?

In that thread you mentioned "old paths" in conjunction with Trieber.  The essence of your contributions to that thread was that it was much ado about nothing.  The author of the article that started that thread was a SBTS guy, so in effect, you were saying he was a fundy.  You can spin that however you want, but to call the folks of the SBTS "fundys" is to do just what I said, either you are marginalizing people with false labels, or you are a full blown contemporelevant guy now so far left of center that you have lost perspective what conservative evangelicalism really is.

Lol. Layman - hear me very carefully. IT ALL NEEDS TO DIE. Whoever it is that's fighting against the advancement of technology and progressive methodologies within the church needs to just shut up and stop worrying about trivial things. I realize that you like to argue & debate... But subjects like the one you brought up are just plain dumb.

Here's an idea - lets focus on letting everyone know what we are for rather than being known for what we are against. That is all. My last response. Have a good night. 

Castor Muscular said:

You know, that is an interesting point.  If a passing skunk were to spray a leather bound paper Bible AND a smart phone or I-Pad, which one would stink the least or be the easiest to clean, hmmmmm?

Steenkin' Bible, indeed.  (in my best Dr. Smith voice from Lost in Space)

Patebald said:
I'm on a forum that is frequented by fundies and so I used the term that is familiar to most everyone here.

Really?  Where?  WHERE!?!  Take a gander at the forum stats from the Home page.  Of the top 10 posters (those making the most posts) there are 2 ... maybe perhaps a 3rd even though he claims not to be KJVO and won't use song books ... that could be realistically called "fundies."  One is a definite "neutral" and six are extreme "anti-chrr...." ... well, "anti-fundies."

PappaBear said:
Patebald said:
I'm on a forum that is frequented by fundies and so I used the term that is familiar to most everyone here.

Really?  Where?  WHERE!?!  Take a gander at the forum stats from the Home page.  Of the top 10 posters (those making the most posts) there are 2 ... maybe perhaps a 3rd even though he claims not to be KJVO and won't use song books ... that could be realistically called "fundies."  One is a definite "neutral" and six are extreme "anti-chrr...." ... well, "anti-fundies."

I looked at those forum stats for the first time, and much to my surprise, I rank number 5 in post count.  :eek:

I'm definitely not a fundy. I changed from AoG (trinitarian Pentecostal and conservative evangelical) to Episcopalutheran (TEC & ELCA, mainline/liberal), and the change was mostly about culture and politics, because I don't have much problem with AoG theology. I remain orthodox by non-fundy standards.  :p

Izdaari said:
I looked at those forum stats for the first time, and much to my surprise, I rank number 5 in post count.  :eek:

I'm definitely not a fundy. I changed from AoG (trinitarian Pentecostal and conservative evangelical) to Episcopalutheran (TEC & ELCA, mainline/liberal), and the change was mostly about culture and politics, because I don't have much problem with AoG theology. I remain orthodox by non-fundy standards.  :p

Have no fear.  I would have never accused you of being one of those few "fundys."  :D