FWIW

BALAAM

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
It is Christmas Eve day. I am heading out to work for several hours. On Monday I will have to be at work again. I am not complaining because I actually like what I do and am glad I have work.

Whenever Christmas falls on Sunday we are buried in articles, sermons, tweets, etc. about how church services ought to never be changed or altered just because it is Christmas. Many boldy proclaiming that their busses will run tomorrow and all their ministries will be the same as usual and all services as normally scheduled. And how dare anyone celebrate Christmas by not being in church as usual on Sunday. One guy said yesterday that you are far better off being in the house of God, with the man of God, around the word of God than being with family etc. All that to say this:

Several have posted on their websites that the church offices will be closed from Dec. 26 - Jan 2 so pastor and staff can spend time with their families! Have a great day my friends!

Merry Christmas to you and your family!! God bless you!!

BALAAM said:
It is Christmas Eve day. I am heading out to work for several hours. On Monday I will have to be at work again. I am not complaining because I actually like what I do and am glad I have work.

Whenever Christmas falls on Sunday we are buried in articles, sermons, tweets, etc. about how church services ought to never be changed or altered just because it is Christmas. Many boldy proclaiming that their busses will run tomorrow and all their ministries will be the same as usual and all services as normally scheduled. And how dare anyone celebrate Christmas by not being in church as usual on Sunday. One guy said yesterday that you are far better off being in the house of God, with the man of God, around the word of God than being with family etc. All that to say this:

Several have posted on their websites that the church offices will be closed from Dec. 26 - Jan 2 so pastor and staff can spend time with their families! Have a great day my friends!
Well, I've already turned in my Hacker Card and now I'm sending my diploma back.
For Christmas Sunday, I cancelled Sunday School and Sunday night services, all we're having is a Sunday Morning service.
I'm sure I'll be mentioned on the back page of Revival Fires now! ???

16KJV11 said:
BALAAM said:

Well, I've already turned in my Hacker Card and now I'm sending my diploma back.
For Christmas Sunday, I cancelled Sunday School and Sunday night services, all we're having is a Sunday Morning service.

Keep your diploma and a new HACker card is being mailed to you.

You are a fine example of a HACker, a man who loves his people.  Merry Christmas!

16KJV11 said:
Ummmmm . . . look again.  Sounds like you are still in the club.
http://www.fbchammond.com/christmasservices/

I'm shocked and thrilled at the same time!  Wouldn't it be great if we could remember Christmas is about Christ, not a sermon for an hour where the preacher screams about the same thing he screamed about the week before.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Jo said:
Wouldn't it be great if we could remember Christmas is about Christ, not a sermon for an hour where the preacher screams about the same thing he screamed about the week before.

You've heard 16KJV11 before?

TidesofTruth said:
16KJV11 said:
Ummmmm . . . look again.  Sounds like you are still in the club.
http://www.fbchammond.com/christmasservices/
Just when I thought I was breaking the mold!  :p

So done with the guilt trip! We had a traditional Christmas Eve  Candle Light Service which will sub for our Sunday night service. Praise God for a liberal BJU grad pastor who values the time of his parishioners!

Baptist City Holdout said:
So done with the guilt trip! We had a traditional Christmas Eve  Candle Light Service which will sub for our Sunday night service. Praise God for a liberal BJU grad pastor who values the time of his parishioners!

Stinkin liberal BJUer has got you saying "parishioners"!

RAIDER said:
Baptist City Holdout said:

Stinkin liberal BJUer has got you saying "parishioners"!

But Bless Gawd, yesterday he called Simeon... Simon!

Jo said:
I'm shocked and thrilled at the same time!  Wouldn't it be great if we could remember Christmas is about Christ, not a sermon for an hour where the preacher screams about the same thing he screamed about the week before.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Well... if this is the kind of church people go to, no wonder people want some time off.  A real church exalts Jesus Christ, and there's not many better times to do so that at the season we celebrate His birth.

Screaming at people about one's opinions is not preaching.  Screaming at them to do "more" for Christ is not preaching.  Such "preaching" reveals a lack of belief that the Holy Spirit can bring conviction to saints and cause real change to be made.

BALAAM said:

We held the normal services at the normal  times and run buses so that people who wanted to could get to church.  We have never really been obsessed with numbers; certainly we'd like the church to grow and the buses to bring in more kids, but people are never berated for "poor performance" in these areas.

Both the Sun AM message and the Sun PM message exalted Jesus Christ - the babe who came to take away our sins.  It was a great day.

We did cancel the children's programs before church and the after-church programs.  But people stayed around and fellowshipped; great to see brothers and sisters in Christ enjoy being around each other.

Ok; Now it has already started about New Years. Already heard a scathing denunciation of people who were planning to be out of town on New Years and will start the new year by MISSING Sunday school, Sunday Morning, Sunday night and Wed. night. New Years resolutions: Don't miss a single service, tithing, and I am sure I can guess what the other themes will be for the week.  I have heard from this guy a list of several people who have been in his church for 40 years and have only missed 3 or 4 services.

I have always been faithful to church but there are years when I missed that many services in a year just due to roads not being snowplowed and not able to get out.

BALAAM said:
Ok; Now it has already started about New Years. Already heard a scathing denunciation of people who were planning to be out of town on New Years and will start the new year by MISSING Sunday school, Sunday Morning, Sunday night and Wed. night. New Years resolutions: Don't miss a single service, tithing, and I am sure I can guess what the other themes will be for the week.  I have heard from this guy a list of several people who have been in his church for 40 years and have only missed 3 or 4 services.

I have always been faithful to church but there are years when I missed that many services in a year just due to roads not being snowplowed and not able to get out.

Well speaking for me, my attendance this past year has been lackluster at best.  The ridiculousness of my job demands have created an environment for me that keeps me from regular attendance (and quite frankly makes me contemplate a change) and with children living out of town we cherish the time we can take when the job is demanding time to be with them whenever possible.  However the volunteer work that I do to help the church has not diminished because I can time shift that work into the wee hours of the morning. 

John Wilkerson know of my lack of attendance.  He is very aware of when I am there and not there.  He saw me at an off campus event, stopped who he was talking to, travelled some distance making a point to come up to me and thank me for all the work that I do in the shadows.  He knows my attendance is poor yet he was as gracious as can be.  No berating, nothing but praise and good will.  The goodness of God that shows through that man's life and his humility is an attraction to me that provokes me to desire to be a better Christian.

BALAAM said:

There is a big difference between people not being able to get to church for illness, emergency, travel and a church canceling its services for "family time".

Boasting about one's perfect attendance (or near-perfect attendance) is merely prideful; I've seen so many people boast about never missing, only be be stricken with some serious illness immediately afterwards.  If you have a contagious illness, I prefer that you stay home.  And I don't mind people taking vacations to recharge - Jesus took the disciples into a quiet place to rest after a hectic time.

TidesofTruth said:
BALAAM said:

Well speaking for me, my attendance this past year has been lackluster at best.  The ridiculousness of my job demands have created an environment for me that keeps me from regular attendance (and quite frankly makes me contemplate a change) and with children living out of town we cherish the time we can take when the job is demanding time to be with them whenever possible.  However the volunteer work that I do to help the church has not diminished because I can time shift that work into the wee hours of the morning. 

John Wilkerson know of my lack of attendance.  He is very aware of when I am there and not there.  He saw me at an off campus event, stopped who he was talking to, travelled some distance making a point to come up to me and thank me for all the work that I do in the shadows.  He knows my attendance is poor yet he was as gracious as can be.  No berating, nothing but praise and good will.  The goodness of God that shows through that man's life and his humility is an attraction to me that provokes me to desire to be a better Christian.

A wise leader of men knows that sometimes people need encouragement and praise, and sometimes they need rebuke - and the leader knows the  difference.  A poor leader sees everything as a chance to rebuke.

Walt said:
BALAAM said:

There is a big difference between people not being able to get to church for illness, emergency, travel and a church canceling its services for "family time".

Boasting about one's perfect attendance (or near-perfect attendance) is merely prideful; I've seen so many people boast about never missing, only be be stricken with some serious illness immediately afterwards.  If you have a contagious illness, I prefer that you stay home.  And I don't mind people taking vacations to recharge - Jesus took the disciples into a quiet place to rest after a hectic time.

So a person can decide they need to recharge (take vacation) but church leadership can't decide that the church as a whole needs to recharge (have family time)?

LongGone said:
Walt said:
BALAAM said:

So a person can decide they need to recharge (take vacation) but church leadership can't decide that the church as a whole needs to recharge (have family time)?
Apparently

earnestly contend

LongGone said:
Walt said:
BALAAM said:

Yes, recharge, rest & relaxation goes on at different times and different needs for each person/family.  If I just came back from vacation and was looking forward to fellowshipping again at my church and they canceled services, that seems wrong to me.