Geocentrism

Who wants me to delete this thread, as if I can?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some guy (at least I think it is a guy) is spouting this idea that the earth is the center of the universe.
But more than that, this person is saying that belief in that strange idea is evidence of true faith.

Anyone care to engage that person?

@Ekklesian
It may not be the center of the universe, but, it definitely seems to be the center of God's attention or he wouldn't have sent Christ.

Center of the Universe according to placement?
Or, center of the Universe according to God?
What is being claimed?

Some guy (at least I think it is a guy) is spouting this idea that the earth is the center of the universe.
But more than that, this person is saying that belief in that strange idea is evidence of true faith.

Anyone care to engage that person?
To be more accurate, neither premise was asserted. It was asked if Christ was a geocentrist, and it was asserted that the prevailing cosmology, Relativity makes the heliocentric and geocentric models equally justifiable, and it makes no sense to speak of one as scientifically more true than the other. It states that it is impossible to know whether a body is at absolute rest in space, but more than that, it allows a theorist to assume that any body in space occupies the center of mass of the universe and is at rest, and to justify the resulting observations according to the known laws of physics.

Therefore, no one can say, with any scientific certainty, that the earth does not occupy that place, and some of the more dramatic observations of astronomers suggest that it does, or is at least very near it.

Edwin Hubble discovered that the distant galaxies were equally red-shifted. A red shift in the spectrum of light from a source can be an indication of either distance or velocity. Either way, for light from all of them to be equally red-shifted means that the phenomenon is being observed from the center. But that conclusion is rejected, not because it is unscientific, but because of the implication...because of what that would mean.

…Such a condition would imply that we occupy a unique position in the universe, analogous, in a sense, to the ancient conception of a central Earth.…This hypothesis cannot be disproved, but it is unwelcome and would only be accepted as a last resort in order to save the phenomena. Therefore we disregard this possibility...the unwelcome position of a favored location must be avoided at all costs...such a favored position is intolerable….Therefore, in order to restore homogeneity, and to escape the horror of a unique position…must be compensated by spatial curvature. There seems to be no other escape . . .
When the Cosmic Microwave Background, the largest and oldest feature of the universe, was mapped, https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/planck/multimedia/pia16874.html , a structure was discovered. It has hemispheres and multipole vectors. More than that, its equator is aligned with the earth's ecliptic plane. It's equator was dubbed, "The Axis of Evil," because it violates the Copernican (or Cosmological) Principal which states that the earth does not occupy a special place in space.

Intrigued by this zoo of structures on different scales, you walk over to the opposite end of the huge Main Hall to get a sense of the big picture. And you are shocked to see vast patterns within all those stars and galaxies that seem to line up with the direction of the Sun’s motion through the universe. Even stranger, some aspects of the cosmic geometry seem more flattened than spherical, and line up nearly perpendicular to the plane along which the planets race around the Sun.
In reality, you would need a very special kind of vision to see the alignments cosmologists have begun to find in the geometry of the universe. Seeing them requires sophisticated mathematical analysis that enables us to explore the finest details of how the universe is put together.
Careful analyses have confirmed these alignments exist. But we don’t know whether they are bizarre coincidences or if something more fundamental is at work.
The origins of the universe’s structure lie in the first moments after the Big Bang. But how could the early universe possibly have “known” about the solar system’s geometry when it developed 4.5 billion years ago? Could such a bizarre alignment have arisen in the early universe, or is the answer in the solar system itself — some as-yet-unknown factor that skews our observations?
The quest for an answer has whetted the appetites of cosmologists to understand the structure of the universe on its largest scales. Moreover, solving the mystery of cosmic alignments may ultimately require us to revise some bedrock assumptions of modern cosmology and what happened in the first moments after the Big Bang.
Many cosmologists find the various CMB alignments extremely unlikely to have occurred by chance. Moreover, nearly all the alignments point to the solar system’s motion or the orientation of the ecliptic plane. Is there a deeper explanation?
And ...

A Fourier analysis on galaxy number counts from redshift date of both the Sloan Digital Dky Survey and the 2dF Galaxy Redshift Survey has been carried out. The results indicate that galaxies have preferred periodic redshifts. Application of the Hubble law results in galaxies preferentially located on concentric shells with periodic spacings. ... The results can be interpreted as either evidence for real space structure with the Galaxy cosmilogically near its center, or as a redshft space effect where the universe has undergone oscillations in its expansion rate over past epochs. The analysis favors a real space superstructure, possibly involving millions of galaxies, with galaxies prefoerring to lie on periodically spaced concentric shells....

More cut and paste, EKKK...Don't you have an original thought in your head? Guess not...anybody could "google" the manure you post.

More cut and paste, EKKK...Don't you have an original thought in your head? Guess not...anybody could "google" the manure you post.
This is the formal debate thread. There are rules. (But they might only apply to me.) The way I read it is that you have to be the party I'm debating to post here. If that's the case, are you sure you want to waste the limited number of posts with the brain fart you just posted? But what you are dismissing as cut and paste is really the citation of evidence. You might want to try it some time.

I am going to claim an exception to this post, since I'm having to do the moderator's job of enforcing the goshdarned rules.

This is the formal debate thread. There are rules. (But they might only apply to me.) The way I read it is that you have to be the party I'm debating to post here. If that's the case, are you sure you want to waste the limited number of posts with the brain fart you just posted? But what you are dismissing as cut and paste is really the citation of evidence. You might want to try it some time.

I am going to claim an exception to this post, since I'm having to do the moderator's job of enforcing the goshdarned rules.
Whether it is or isn't is beside the point. You ARE an exception to reality.....blow it out your rear end, gasbag!

Note: Everyone is perfectly free to ignore Ekklesian's "enforcing the goshdarned rules."
My not putting goshdarned in quotes made you miss the parody. Either way, you've confimed the rules don't matter unless I'm the one posting. 👍

My not putting goshdarned in quotes made you miss the parody. Either way, you've confimed the rules don't matter unless I'm the one posting. 👍

Feel free to believe that if you like. Makes no difference to me.

Note: Everyone is perfectly free to ignore Ekklesian's "enforcing the goshdarned rules."

That said, this forum does have rules. Here they are. Please respect them and let the debate play out.

And no, nobody appointed Ekklesian a moderator, and if you persist in playing one, I'll lock you out of the thread.

That said, this forum does have rules. Here they are. Please respect them and let the debate play out.

And no, nobody appointed Ekklesian a moderator, and if you persist in playing one, I'll lock you out of the thread.
One wonders if you would have stepped up, if I had not. But either way, at least you're doing your job.

One wonders if you would have stepped up, if I had not. But either way, at least you're doing your job.
Yes, that's what I mean by playing the moderator. And that's the last time you'll be doing it. End of discussion.

Hike up your skirt, Gertie, and go home on your broom!

I've been on this forum on and off for a long time, and I tend to like your method of moderating, pretty much letting idiots make a fool of themselves, until someone becomes a real jerk.

Oh, and my bad. I should not have posted this in the formal debate area. I did not know the rules.
Delete your post then.