Geocentrism

Who wants me to delete this thread, as if I can?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Delete your post then.
Please, delete yours. Sounds like you're speaking from your bottom.

God creates the Earth first then he creates everything else around it. This seems quite clear and if this is what is meant by Geocentrism then yes, I guess it is my position. The Earth is obviously at the center of God's creation. He goes into a bit of detail regarding the six days of creation which has mostly to do with our blue planet. Everything is almost an after thought - "He made the stars also..."

Of course, God created the earth then after he made the sun, he set the earth in motion around our sun and has set our sun somewhere within the Milky Way which, in turn, sets its course in reference to something perhaps but no one has the ability to zoom out and get a birds eye view to see what it really looks like and where it is positioned in relationship to...?

God creates the Earth first then he creates everything else around it. This seems quite clear and if this is what is meant by Geocentrism then yes, I guess it is my position. The Earth is obviously at the center of God's creation. He goes into a bit of detail regarding the six days of creation which has mostly to do with our blue planet. Everything is almost an after thought - "He made the stars also..."

Of course, God created the earth then after he made the sun, he set the earth in motion around our sun and has set our sun somewhere within the Milky Way which, in turn, sets its course in reference to something perhaps but no one has the ability to zoom out and get a birds eye view to see what it really looks like and where it is positioned in relationship to...?
I somewhat agree...though your explanation was as clear as mud! LOL

From my little back and forth on the subject, those defending Geocentrism are more interested in debating position instead of our relationship as God's creation.

From my little back and forth on the subject, those defending Geocentrism are more interested in debating position instead of our relationship as God's creation.
Planet Earth may very well be at the precise, astronomical center of the universe. There is simply no means whatsoever whereby someone may prove such a hypothesis. Every time we think we have found the "Edge of the Universe," someone builds a bigger telescope and we discover we are nowhere close so I guess from our vantage point, we ARE at the center of the Universe until someone can prove otherwise! :cool:

so I guess from our vantage point, we ARE at the center of the Universe until someone can prove otherwise!
The distance we can see in all directions is finite. We're definitely at the centre of the observable universe.

But we're the third planet out from our star and sit near the edge of our galaxy. If we could theoretically see the entire universe, it probably shouldn't come as a surprise to find out we're still off to the side there, too.

We should look at what we can see, and be humbled: despite the fact we are an insignificant speck of dust in all of creation, God knows us and cares about us. Instead, we've got these egotistical maniacs claiming the universe literally revolves around us. Stupid.

The distance we can see in all directions is finite. We're definitely at the centre of the observable universe.

But we're the third planet out from our star and sit near the edge of our galaxy. If we could theoretically see the entire universe, it probably shouldn't come as a surprise to find out we're still off to the side there, too.

We should look at what we can see, and be humbled: despite the fact we are an insignificant speck of dust in all of creation, God knows us and cares about us. Instead, we've got these egotistical maniacs claiming the universe literally revolves around us. Stupid.
We are "Third Rock from the Sun" for very specific, scientifically validated reasons seeing that we are in the "Goldilocks" zone where sustainment of life is optimal. I am betting some "Christian Research Institute" Scientist could explain reasons for the other planets and our proximity to the sun far better than I could.

It SEEMS that we are at the edge of the Milky Way but no one has a "Selfie Stick" long enough where we could actually observe the entirety of our galaxy to determine our precise location within.

Even with that said, we could be at the edge of the Milky Way Galaxy and still be at the very center of the universe. Then again, I don't suppose we will find ourselves with Ford Prefect and Zaphod Beeblebrox at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe reciting Vogon Poetry now will we? :LOL:

As you stated though, it doesn't really matter but we do realize that in Christ, all things consist (Col 1:16) and though the stars are innumerable, God knows and has named every last one of them and I am certain he has set them in a specific place for a specified reason and purpose! "When I consider the heavens, the work of thy finger, the moon and the stars which thou hast ordained, WHAT IS MAN THAT THOU ART MINDFUL OF HIM (Psa 8:3-4)?

It SEEMS that we are at the edge of the Milky Way but no one has a "Selfie Stick" long enough where we could actually observe the entirety of our galaxy to determine our precise location within.
Well said. Ask any astronomer what the Milky Way galaxy looks like and if they're honest, they'll tell you that our vision of what our galaxy looks like is based on what is observed in other galaxies which APPEAR similar. I'm not saying we haven't made good educated guesses but we can't know for sure without leaving and observing this galaxy from afar.

As I've said in other threads, I'll not argue for or against the possibility of extraterrestrial life or whether we're the "center" of the universe until someone can convince me God is obligated to reveal such to us and how the existence of other worlds affects our accountability to Him.

Well said. Ask any astronomer what the Milky Way galaxy looks like and if they're honest, they'll tell you that our vision of what our galaxy looks like is based on what is observed in other galaxies which APPEAR similar.
Sure, because we can see our own galaxy, albeit edge-on because we're inside it, and see that it has the same shape as other spiral galaxies that we can observe from afar.

ESO-VLT-Laser-phot-33a-07.jpg

Similarly our planet isn't different from other planets in the solar system apart from being in the Goldilocks zone where life can exist; and we're not that different from other mammals, apart from our ability to reason.

Of course it's those little differences that make all the difference.

Similarly our planet isn't different from other planets in the solar system apart from being in the Goldilocks zone where life can exist;
If one discounts other features such as size and composition, I guess one could make such an assertion.

Last edited:
Planet Earth may very well be at the precise, astronomical center of the universe. There is simply no means whatsoever whereby someone may prove such a hypothesis. Every time we think we have found the "Edge of the Universe," someone builds a bigger telescope and we discover we are nowhere close so I guess from our vantage point, we ARE at the center of the Universe until someone can prove otherwise! :cool:
"People need to be aware that there is a range of models that could explain the observations," Ellis argues. "For instance, I can construct you a spherically symmetrical universe with Earth at its center, and you cannot disprove it based on observations." Ellis has published a paper on this. "You can only exclude it on philosophical grounds. In my view, there is absolutely nothing wrong in that. What I want to bring into the open is the fact that we are using philosophical criteria in choosing our models. A lot of cosmology tries to hide that."

We should look at what we can see,
There are at least two vast features that suggest location independent of our vantage point.

I mentioned one a while back. The WMAP and Planck surveys have revealed a structure in the universe that is unmistakably aligned with the Solar System.

Intrigued by this zoo of structures on different scales, you walk over to the opposite end of the huge Main Hall to get a sense of the big picture. And you are shocked to see vast patterns within all those stars and galaxies that seem to line up with the direction of the Sun’s motion through the universe. Even stranger, some aspects of the cosmic geometry seem more flattened than spherical, and line up nearly perpendicular to the plane along which the planets race around the Sun.
In reality, you would need a very special kind of vision to see the alignments cosmologists have begun to find in the geometry of the universe. Seeing them requires sophisticated mathematical analysis that enables us to explore the finest details of how the universe is put together.
Careful analyses have confirmed these alignments exist. But we don’t know whether they are bizarre coincidences or if something more fundamental is at work.
The origins of the universe’s structure lie in the first moments after the Big Bang. But how could the early universe possibly have “known” about the solar system’s geometry when it developed 4.5 billion years ago? Could such a bizarre alignment have arisen in the early universe, or is the answer in the solar system itself — some as-yet-unknown factor that skews our observations?
The quest for an answer has whetted the appetites of cosmologists to understand the structure of the universe on its largest scales. Moreover, solving the mystery of cosmic alignments may ultimately require us to revise some bedrock assumptions of modern cosmology and what happened in the first moments after the Big Bang.

Another was revealed by the Sloan Digital Sky Survey

A Fourier analysis on galaxy number counts from redshift data of both the Sloan Digital Sky Survey and the 2dF Galaxy Redshift Survey has been carried out. The results indicate that galaxies have preferred periodic redshifts. Application of the Hubble law results in galaxies preferentially located on concentric shells with periodic spacings.
The results can be interpreted as either evidence for a real space structure with the Galaxy cosmologically near its center, or as a redshift space effect where the universe has undergone oscillations in its expansion rate over past epochs. The analysis favors a real space superstructure, possibly involving millions of galaxies, with galaxies preferring to lie on periodically spaced concentric shells centered on a location 26.86 h−1 Mpc from here.
1673423773350.png

Our location is, of course, the center of the survey, because that's where the survey equipment happens to be, but if our equipment weren't in the center, or very near the center of this phenomenon, this pattern or structure could not be discerned.

and be humbled: despite the fact we are an insignificant speck of dust in all of creation, God knows us and cares about us. Instead, we've got these egotistical maniacs claiming the universe literally revolves around us. Stupid.
Actually, the claim was that a Geocentric model is a scientifically valid model. It was just the implications thereof and the realization that you didn't really have all the facts, or even the important ones, that got your panties in wad. ;)

There are at least two vast features that suggest location independent of our vantage point.

I mentioned one a while back. The WMAP and Planck surveys have revealed a structure in the universe that is unmistakably aligned with the Solar System.

Intrigued by this zoo of structures on different scales, you walk over to the opposite end of the huge Main Hall to get a sense of the big picture. And you are shocked to see vast patterns within all those stars and galaxies that seem to line up with the direction of the Sun’s motion through the universe. Even stranger, some aspects of the cosmic geometry seem more flattened than spherical, and line up nearly perpendicular to the plane along which the planets race around the Sun.
In reality, you would need a very special kind of vision to see the alignments cosmologists have begun to find in the geometry of the universe. Seeing them requires sophisticated mathematical analysis that enables us to explore the finest details of how the universe is put together.
Careful analyses have confirmed these alignments exist. But we don’t know whether they are bizarre coincidences or if something more fundamental is at work.
The origins of the universe’s structure lie in the first moments after the Big Bang. But how could the early universe possibly have “known” about the solar system’s geometry when it developed 4.5 billion years ago? Could such a bizarre alignment have arisen in the early universe, or is the answer in the solar system itself — some as-yet-unknown factor that skews our observations?
The quest for an answer has whetted the appetites of cosmologists to understand the structure of the universe on its largest scales. Moreover, solving the mystery of cosmic alignments may ultimately require us to revise some bedrock assumptions of modern cosmology and what happened in the first moments after the Big Bang.

Another was revealed by the Sloan Digital Sky Survey

A Fourier analysis on galaxy number counts from redshift data of both the Sloan Digital Sky Survey and the 2dF Galaxy Redshift Survey has been carried out. The results indicate that galaxies have preferred periodic redshifts. Application of the Hubble law results in galaxies preferentially located on concentric shells with periodic spacings.
The results can be interpreted as either evidence for a real space structure with the Galaxy cosmologically near its center, or as a redshift space effect where the universe has undergone oscillations in its expansion rate over past epochs. The analysis favors a real space superstructure, possibly involving millions of galaxies, with galaxies preferring to lie on periodically spaced concentric shells centered on a location 26.86 h−1 Mpc from here.

Our location is, of course, the center of the survey, because that's where the survey equipment happens to be, but if our equipment weren't in the center, or very near the center of this phenomenon, this pattern or structure could not be discerned.

Actually, the claim was that a Geocentric model is a scientifically valid model. It was just the implications thereof and the realization that you didn't really have all the facts, or even the important ones, that got your panties in wad. ;)
The eKKK goes again...focusing on someone's "panties." Sounds like he's got a crush on Ransom! ;)

Ah, the ever-lovable Witless Joe. You never disappoint. ;)
You've got to come up with some new lines. You've become the pathetic "Braying A$$" of the forums. You never disappoint! LOL