"God loves you" (R.C. Sproul)

biscuit1953

Elect
Reaction score
"Every time I hear a preacher tell his people that God loves them unconditionally, I want to ask that the man be defrocked for such a violation of the Word of God.  What pagan does not hear in that statement that he has no need of repentance, so he can continue in sin without fear, knowing that it's all taken care of?...Just because a man is ordained is no guarantee that he is in the kingdom of God.  The odds are astronomical that many are still under the curse of God.  There are ordained men who have not yet fled to the cross, who are still counting on the nebulous idea of the unconditional love of God to get them through, or even worse, still thinking that they can get into the kingdom of God through their good works.  They don't understand that unless they perfectly obey the law of God, which they have not done for five minutes since they were born, they are under the curse of God.  That is the reality we must make clear to our people - either they will bear the curse of God themselves or they will flee to the One who took it for them."  R. C. Sproul (The Evidence Bible)

Does anyone have a problem with what he said or the way he said it? 

This is true.  To quote Reverend TI Cooper's address to heathens, "Jesus hates you, but it doesn't have to be this way!"

God is love. As a result, I have HUGE problems with Sproul's statement. God could no more cease loving than He could cease being.

RevBob said:
This is true.  To quote Reverend TI Cooper's address to heathens, "Jesus hates you, but it doesn't have to be this way!"
So you would actually agree that a 5 point Calvinist not only preaches the same gospel you do but is also just as evangelistic ?  Are "standards" the main problem you would have with non Independent Baptists?  Would preaching out of a modern translation corrupt his gospel message?

Iapologize.  I hit the wrong quote button.  I meant to quote IFB-X.

"Nope.  No problem.

I have a sign that I use when street preaching that says, "God Loved You".  The lost will comment that my sign is wrong because (they say) God loves us.  This speaks to Sprouls comment.  The lost in America have heard "God Loves You" so much that they see little reason to trust Christ.

BTW, my sign is referring to 2000 years ago when God showed his love on Calvary.  It sometimes opens the door to conversation."

Troll said:
To quote Reverend TI Cooper's

By which, of course, you mean "to invent Reverend Ti Cooper."

You can't quote someone who doesn't exist, troll.

Ransom said:
Troll said:
To quote Reverend TI Cooper's

By which, of course, you mean "to invent Reverend Ti Cooper."

You can't quote someone who doesn't exist, troll.
LOL... The esteemed Reverend TI (Thomas I) Cooper doesn't exist?  BWAHAHAHA!

rsc2a said:
God is love. As a result, I have HUGE problems with Sproul's statement. God could no more cease loving than He could cease being.

1- It is not possible for any human mind other than Christ to understand Love fully, for then such would understand God fully.

2- That said, it would help you understand Love and God better were you to realize that hate is not the opposite of Love. Indifference is the opposite of Love, just as nothing is the opposite of Being. There is but one Being in essense, and thus the opposite of God is nothing. I do not know this because I am the most intelligent person who posts here (though that is true). I know this because I am Loved. May it be that you are Loved, but from your comment, I doubt it. I do hope I am wrong, and thank God I am not the Judge.

3- You are on very shaky ground when you start declaring what God can and cannot do. Logic does not even work on the subatomic inanimate creation, to confine God in it's syllogisms is absurd. If memory serves, you stated your wife had studied mathematics. Pehaps she can explain to you that the Hilbert Entscheidungsproblem can have no solution. From past experience with me, you should be careful declaring what is not possible, or you may soon after declare the impossible "no big deal."

The statement that "God Loves you" does not lead people away from Him...the word says, "We love Him, because He first loved us".  " God demonstrates His love for us, that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

Not sure how someone can claim to speak of the love of God somehow leads to,them believing they can continue in sin..." For God so loved the world...."  He loved us enough to send His Son, so we would not have to die in our sins.

T-Bone said:
The statement that "God Loves you" does not lead people away from Him...the word says, "We love Him, because He first loved us".  " God demonstrates His love for us, that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

Not sure how someone can claim to speak of the love of God somehow leads to,them believing they can continue in sin..." For God so loved the world...."  He loved us enough to send His Son, so we would not have to die in our sins.
I tend to agree with you.

Ray Comfort quotes many Calvinists and I like his methods of evangelism but sometimes he quotes people that make me take a step back and wonder exactly where he is coming from.  Ray also has the following insert in his Evidence Bible that I find interesting but am not sure exactly what to think of it.

"If I had my way, I would declare a moratorium on public preaching of 'the plan of salvation' in America for one or two years.  Then I would call on everyone who has use of the airwaves and the pulpits to preach the holiness of God, the righteousness of God, and the Law of God, until sinners would cry out,  'What must we do to be saved?'  Then I would take them off in a corner and whisper the gospel to them.  Don't use John 3:16.  Such drastic action is needed because we have gospel-hardened a generation of sinners by telling them how to be saved before they have any understanding why they need to be saved."  Paris Reidhead

biscuit1953 said:
Ray Comfort quotes many Calvinists and I like his methods of evangelism but sometimes he quotes people that make me take a step back and wonder exactly where he is coming from.  Ray also has the following insert in his Evidence Bible that I find interesting but am not sure exactly what to think of it.

"If I had my way, I would declare a moratorium on public preaching of 'the plan of salvation' in America for one or two years.  Then I would call on everyone who has use of the airwaves and the pulpits to preach the holiness of God, the righteousness of God, and the Law of God, until sinners would cry out,  'What must we do to be saved?'  Then I would take them off in a corner and whisper the gospel to them.  Don't use John 3:16.  Such drastic action is needed because we have gospel-hardened a generation of sinners by telling them how to be saved before they have any understanding why they need to be saved."  Paris Reidhead

Seems he is at odds with Paul, who said, "I'm not ashamed of the Gospel, for it is the power of God unto salvation, for the Jew first and then for the Gentile."

Love is a many splendored thing.

A classic example of why I avoid calvinism like the plague... It is a plague.

Tom Brennan said:
But don't you find it ironic that most great missionary efforts of the past were by Calvinists?  Whatever differences I may have with Ray Comfort his zeal and evangelistic efforts would put most Independent Baptists to shame.  He doesn't brag about how many people he got to say a prayer or try to establish silly man-made dress rules associated with most IFB King James Only types.

Tom Brennan said:

That other hit Sinatra song: "I chose Him my way"

;)

T-Bone said:
Seems he is at odds with Paul, who said, "I'm not ashamed of the Gospel, for it is the power of God unto salvation, for the Jew first and then for the Gentile."

But immediately afterward, Paul did what this quote said: he explains why everyone needs to be saved.

All Reidhead is saying, in exaggerated fashion,  is that people need an awareness of the Law and their standing before God as objects of wrath - the problem for which the Gospel is the solution. It's fine and well to tell them they need to be saved,  but first they need to know what they are being saved from.

Ransom said:
T-Bone said:

But immediately afterward, Paul did what this quote said: he explains why everyone needs to be saved.

All Reidhead is saying, in exaggerated fashion,  is that people need an awareness of the Law and their standing before God as objects of wrath - the problem for which the Gospel is the solution. It's fine and well to tell them they need to be saved,  but first they need to know what they are being saved from.

And he should have had you translate his hyperbole...if he would have said what you said...I would have no problem with it!  :)